Suspension upgrades passenger conversion

vip

Hello everyone I am new here so here so don't flame me if this has been covered elsewhere. I have been searching for a comparable solution to this upgrade from midwest;http://midwestsprinterparts.com/Van-Rear-Suspension-Upgrade

The purpose of the upgrade is for ride comfort not load capacity. I have found many sway bars available however, I can not find an adjustable coil over for the rear. Additionally I am not sure if this is an added shock or direct replacement.

Thanks in advance for the help

Drew

Trayscott

Wish the company provided some decent info on why it is a good set up. From the hardware I see I don't think it replaces the leave springs so the coil overs would be load boosters if anything. Roadmaster is the sway bar of choice from what I have read on here.

jackfish

Hellwig rear anti-sway bar $176
Koni rear shocks $230
SumoSprings rear $177

Way less than $2500!

Last edited:

vip

Jackfish, do you know any of the model #'s? I found the Sumos but not the others.

Thanks

BTW its a 2013, 2500, 170"wb, non-ext, cargo

jackfish

Hellwig 7253
Koni 822585
SumoSprings SSR-325

For the Hellwig 7253 you might need 1/2" x 6" long #8 grade bolts, two washers for each side and locking nuts if they haven't upgraded the hardware pack since 2012. Ask about what hardware is included before you purchase. SD Truck Springs might be the best place for the Hellwig.

Last edited:

jackfish

Also think about the front with Koni 872656 and SumoSprings SSF-106-40. You'll still be way under $2500!

The Hellwig might be cheapest from SD Truck Springs, the Konis from eurocampers.com, and order the SumoSprings directly from Mike at SuperSprings.

Last edited:

GaryJ

Here since 2006
Drew,

I suggest you look at the thread "Orton DIY - Hellwig Swaybar Install" for some information on Hellwig quality.

Gary

jackfish

I'm sorry, my experience is with the Hellwig 7254 for the Mercedes Benz 3500. It is a properly engineered "drop-in" replacement for the stock rear anti-sway bar and suffers from none of the issues described for the 7253. Based on the Orton DIY - Hellwig Swaybar Install thread it looks like the Roadmaster is a better alternative for the 2500. It also looks like the 1209-128 Roadmaster rear anti-sway bar is about $260.

Here is the Hellwig 7254 installed on my 2013 Mercedes Benz Sprinter 3500 motorhome.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
The picture of the Hellwig 7254 install on the 3500 shows that it is an acceptable design with proper axle mounting supports. The 7253 Hellwig for the 2500 does not have well designed axle mounting supports. The 7253 does not use the Sprinter roll bar mounting locations. Instead they clamp the mounts to the axle housing with U-bolts. I would avoid the 7253 and purchase the Roadmaster bar for the 2500. If you still want to install a 7253 Hellwig and are near SF, you can get one free. Come pick it up in Occidental.

Top Bottom