Water leaks- Door step foot wells

Update: The dealer found the major source of water, it was coming from a defective seal near the hinge for the hood...

but there is water coming from another location and spilling into the drivers side doorwell - pics below.

The water drips out from only 1 of the corrugated holes (see arrows in 2nd pic) that make up the doorwell basin.

It’s been at the dealer 1 month + the auto body shop can’t figure it out ?

Seems to occur only after a hard rain; I can’t reproduce it with a hose anywhere. It is not related to driving, moving or running the engine.

It comes through the corrugations in the support beam under the drivers side footwell and only through 1 hole! Note the arrows in the 2nd pic; it’s not the lowest hole either.

This beam slopes up towards the front of the vehicle and seems to end at a panel that crosses from left to right under the drivers feet...

Which has everyone baffled since the obvious direction might be from the windshield or firewall under the floor and into the beam behind the corrugations.

Has anyone had a leak from the diesel fuel door or panel clips towards the front of the chassis?!

Maybe from above via the B-pillar?

Any other thoughts or advice?

My only plan is to tape off portions, wait for rain, and try a process of elimination.

Or bring it to another dealer?

Does anyone have access to detailed CAD diagrams of that panel and neighboring parts?

They want to start cutting and disassembling!

Attachments

lindenengineering

This not unusual and rainwater/ road splash finds its way around the door seal & under the cover.
Its a particular problem you have a roof A/C and wiring & exposed sockets running under the cover.
We just put some drains on it and modify the harness to prevent corrosion & be done with it.
Dennis

D

Deleted member 50714

?!!!STOP THE HACKERS FROM HACKING!!!?

Yes, the fine German designed footwells make for excellent smelling mold and rust producing mobile petri dishes.

Best course of action is slather on a nice thick coat of Maguire's non-abrasive carnuba wax allowing the dried residue to remain. Right or wrong that's what I did.

If you live in the land of Snow and salt, and or use... abuse your sprinter as a canoe, I suggest annual PM inspections. Is what I do.

Think I see a scupper I hadn't noticed before. Let me compare photos.

Don't use the cupholder left of the steering wheel, risking spillage onto fuse box.

IMG_2714.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

lindenengineering

Bob
Thanks for mentioning the cup holder spillage into the fuse box. :thumbup:
With a dead tow in and no circuitry, nor ASD relay operation, we pull down the OBD2 cover. What's is in your cover my dear Watsons ?! Cos its what's in your wallet after the fix!
Is it Starbucks , or is it MacDonald's Coke Big gulp?
Often its Starbucks Super Latte thingy or the sugar cane syrup effect in a Coke, but whatever it is, it really star -"bucks" the electrical system & fuse box with an expensive repair ,
Dennis

Thanks, It's not from road splash though. It happens when it's parked. It comes in after rain. I don't have roof AC

Look at the second pic above. There are three little black arrows pointing at where the leak comes through only one spot in the corrugations.

Does anyone know how to find diagrams of the doorwell part and the adjoining support beam?

This not unusual and rainwater/ road splash finds its way around the door seal & under the cover.
Its a particular problem you have a roof A/C and wiring & exposed sockets running under the cover.
We just put some drains on it and modify the harness to prevent corrosion & be done with it.
Dennis

Thanks, but the leak is coming from above inside and underneath the drivers side seat base.

I'm less worried about what I can see - the doorwell - and more worried about the path water takes to arrive through that one corrugation.

Know where I can get the parts diagrams? Maybe that can point to an unusual site of leaking.

Best course of action is slather on a nice thick coat of Maguire's non-abrasive carnuba wax allowing the dried residue to remain. Right or wrong that's what I did.

If you live in the land of Snow and salt, and or use... abuse your sprinter as a canoe, I suggest annual PM inspections. Is what I do.

Think I see a scupper I hadn't noticed before. Let me compare photos.

D

Deleted member 50714

Thanks, but the leak is coming from above inside and underneath the drivers side seat base.

I'm less worried about what I can see - the doorwell - and more worried about the path water takes to arrive through that one corrugation.

Know where I can get the parts diagrams? Maybe that can point to an unusual site of leaking.

Maybe B.E.G?

D

Deleted member 50714

There's a large wire loom penetration under the seat base. Inspect to determine if zip tie is still in place?

D

Deleted member 50714

There's a large wire loom penetration under the seat base. Inspected to determine if zip tie is still in place?

IMG_2726.JPG

Yep, I know that, I'll take a look, but I think it's got to be coming from above since this happens when it's sitting. Maybe water is also collecing in that boot? I can look...

There's a large wire loom penetration under the seat base. Inspected to determine if zip tie is still in place?

M.A.T

Update: The dealer found the major source of water, it was coming from a defective seal near the hinge for the hood...

but there is water coming from another location and spilling into the drivers side doorwell - pics below.

The water drips out from only 1 of the corrugated holes (see arrows in 2nd pic) that make up the doorwell basin.

It’s been at the dealer 1 month + the auto body shop can’t figure it out ?

Seems to occur only after a hard rain; I can’t reproduce it with a hose anywhere. It is not related to driving, moving or running the engine.

It comes through the corrugations in the support beam under the drivers side footwell and only through 1 hole! Note the arrows in the 2nd pic; it’s not the lowest hole either.

This beam slopes up towards the front of the vehicle and seems to end at a panel that crosses from left to right under the drivers feet...

Which has everyone baffled since the obvious direction might be from the windshield or firewall under the floor and into the beam behind the corrugations.

Has anyone had a leak from the diesel fuel door or panel clips towards the front of the chassis?!

Maybe from above via the B-pillar?

Any other thoughts or advice?

My only plan is to tape off portions, wait for rain, and try a process of elimination.

Or bring it to another dealer?

Does anyone have access to detailed CAD diagrams of that panel and neighboring parts?

They want to start cutting and disassembling!
I have the same problem. Could you elaborate on the faulty seal the dealer replaced? I want to address this seal myself if i can get more details.

M.A.T

So i never got a response from climbavorus about the seal the dealer replaced for him. I had the same problem where water would get into the drivers kick panel and leak out of the hole behind the hood release. I was able to solve my problem by drilling a hole from the wheel well into the cavity where water was collecting. Basically added a drain hole for that cavity. I would have preferred to prevent water ingress but adding a water drain prevents water from leaking into the van, takes an hour to do and was 100% free.

Top Bottom