Best Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems

ronjohn

2019 Unity MB
From my previous post - #50, you will note that I purchased a TM510RV system. As it is not recommended to install the valve cap sensors on the rubber valve stems that come with the Sprinter, I went to a local tire shop for advise and a quote. Their advise: the current rubber valve stems are rated for maximum of 50 psi which is less that the recommended tire pressure. i.e. they should be changed out even if you are not installing a tire pressure monitoring system. Cost: they are charging $12 per wheel, which seems reasonable considering that they have to remove the wheel, break the tire away from the rim, install the new valve stem, reset the tire, balance the wheel and install back on the unit.

Kozad

RonJohn

When the tire shop installed the new valve stems, what type did they use (metal)? Or are you referring to the TPMS permanent valve stem system?

Thank you....

ronjohn

2019 Unity MB
Kozad,
They will be installed next Friday. They will use metal. He said he will find out what product is recommended. I can let you know in 8 days.
Ron

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
I have Alcolas, same problem. I had TLC https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18378 :thumbup: do the install when I got new tires. The adapters didn't fit the steel wheels or the Alcolas, .They said ,It was easier to just drill out the factories and retap for the internal sensors then go back and forth w/adapters that don't work.
K-9,
After gathering all the parts to install the TST Internal sensors I agree with your installer, TLC. It would be easier to just drill and tap metal valve stems to attach the internal sensors rather than try to make some sort of adapter work. That is the way the OEM sensors are generally installed.

Did TLC install new metal valve stems on the OEM steel Sprinter wheels on inner duals? if so what valve stem did they use?

Thanks,

Kozad

I spoke to TireMinder yesterday about the upgrade TM66. As you noted it is only available from Camping World, but TireMinder is offering it as an upgrade to existing TireMinder TPMS owners.

Not sure what the deal is as we do not own one yet.....

FYI

llamadave

After 4 months and lots of problems (see earlier post) I finally have my TPMS installed. I purchased the TST (tsttruck.com) 507 internal system. I programmed the control unit and installed the repeater under the van near the rear axle (not sure I needed this). The valve stems provided by TST and the brackets supplied by TST did not work for my late 2012 sprinter 3500 dually with steel wheels and round holes. TST referred me to Bill (Borg) Falkenborg who recommended this: http://yourtireshopsupply.com/category/796_832/sprinter-trucks. Since TST had promised me valve stems, they paid for these valve stems and I paid shipping. It turned out Bill sent me valve stems for early 2012 models (oval holes) and he also said I should not use the mounting brackets that TST supplied. So Bill sent me at no charge new hand-made aluminum mounting brackets and the correct valve stems. I had it all installed by a local tire dealer last week and I am very happy with this system, both the TPMS and valve stems. Here are photos before, during, and after installation:

DE14046956.jpg

DE14046957.jpg

DE14046961.jpg

DEP14041183.jpg

DEP14041190.jpg

K-9 SPRINTER

TROLL TRAINER
They look great for adding air but,
...........,,,, with those stems, you cant rotate steel OEMs

Last edited:

K-9 SPRINTER

TROLL TRAINER
K-9,
After gathering all the parts to install the TST Internal sensors I agree with your installer, TLC. It would be easier to just drill and tap metal valve stems to attach the internal sensors rather than try to make some sort of adapter work. That is the way the OEM sensors are generally installed.

Did TLC install new metal valve stems on the OEM steel Sprinter wheels on inner duals? if so what valve stem did they use?

Thanks,
They did change them with the new tires, I dont know what they used,

llamadave

Wow,,,, with those stems, you cant rotate steel OEMs
That is correct. Bill explained to me that the only reason to rotate tires is to offset problems with alignment. Best to fix the alignment problem. If you still have wear problems, you can rotate left inner to right inner, etc.

David

K-9 SPRINTER

TROLL TRAINER
After 4 months and lots of problems (see earlier post) I finally have my TPMS installed. I purchased the TST (tsttruck.com) 507 internal system. I programmed the control unit and installed the repeater under the van near the rear axle (not sure I needed this). The valve stems provided by TST and the brackets supplied by TST did not work for my late 2012 sprinter 3500 dually with steel wheels and round holes. TST referred me to Bill (Borg) Falkenborg who recommended this: http://yourtireshopsupply.com/category/796_832/sprinter-trucks. Since TST had promised me valve stems, they paid for these valve stems and I paid shipping. It turned out Bill sent me valve stems for early 2012 models (oval holes) and he also said I should not use the mounting brackets that TST supplied. So Bill sent me at no charge new hand-made aluminum mounting brackets and the correct valve stems. I had it all installed by a local tire dealer last week and I am very happy with this system, both the TPMS and valve stems. Here are photos before, during, and after installation:
I dont think you need the repeater, I dont have one

chromisdesigns

View attachment 59287

View attachment 59288

View attachment 59289

View attachment 59290

View attachment 59291
Are those long enough to be able to use them with wheel simulators (covers)? Don't look like it in the pics, but thought I would ask. We have flexi valve stem extensions and while they work fine, when the OEM Conti's go belly up, I might consider switching over to solid extensions and sensors, as long as I don't have to yank the wheel covers to add air.

Tuktu

2010 Regency GT, Triple E
Sometimes it is best to keep things simple. U can grab your tire gauge and check your tire pressure before you go on your next leg. As you are moving along and stopping from time to time a mallet can come in handy to rough check your tire pressures.

Of course the perfect way would be to have a fail save system that would without fail tell you in real time what the pressures are on each tire but do we really need this? It is without doubt a good system to have if you can have it.

I understand that it can be difficult to detect a slow leak in a duel tire system but due diligence can go a long ways in keeping ahead of the game.

If you are a high speed driver and pushing the limits then get the high tech system otherwise most should be ok with the old school way.

tuktu

blue

2011 LTV Unity CB
I spoke to TireMinder yesterday about the upgrade TM66. As you noted it is only available from Camping World, but TireMinder is offering it as an upgrade to existing TireMinder TPMS owners.

Not sure what the deal is as we do not own one yet.....

FYI
Do you know how to get the upgrade? I have the TireMinder system and it has worked well for me, but it may be worthwhile to get the upgrade.

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
I apologize for bump an old topic from the dead, just have a few interesting observations from personal experience, maybe someone will need this information in the future. initially had the tyredog system installed the external type and they are a PITA if you change pressure regularly and do have the security screw thingy installed, also the readings are ok. I also found that in heavier offraod driving (mud bulldust making own track stuff) the large sensors tended to get abused and thus I lost a couple.
Sooo I did a bit of research and ended up with the iawise TPMS2/6 https://mechanicguides.com/best-tire-pressure-systems/ whch is the 6 wheel internal system. .... I hope this helps someone in the future. Good luck!
Several TPMS vendors use those same flow-through sensors. I have them on my TST version. I agree they are handy is you need to adjust tire pressures.

Top Bottom