Any reason to NOT get a T1N? Should I go newer?

bigtexan99

I'm learning all I can about Sprinter's by reading this and other forums.

I've leaning towards getting a 2005/2006 model because I don't want all the diesel particulate filter and emissions systems that are on the newer models.

Want to be able to run bio-diesel and add used veg oil, 2 stroke oil, ATF fluid, etc to my tanks.

Other than body/appearance issues, are there any mechanical reasons why it might be better to get a newer model?

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Why an NCV3?
Safer (better anti-roll system), nicer ride, tilt steering wheel, a bit more space (6 inches or so wider, width adds to stability), 5KW of instant electric heat (as part of some of the Aux Heater set-ups), side door big enough for pallet loading.

Of course, if my 118" WB ever dies, i'd be looking for a replacement of that size (more nimble, 32 foot curb-to-curb diameter, 16 feet long (i.e. a Toyota Tundra length), easy parking).

--dick

shortshort

Dis member
Slim pickings on the nimble van front if you want new. The new Dodge is a Fiat Ducato which has been booby trapped with a Pentastar I.E.D., the new Ford will likely have the turning radius of a Ford, GM is still demonstrating why they went BK, and, as one would expect, as soon as they put MBZ badging on the Sprinter it was transformed into a pile of over-complicated junk.

JAM

I would say stay away from all of them. They are very expensive to fix. Mines in the dealer right now and might need a new ECM. That's about $2000 ouch

sailquik

I personally think there are many valid reasons why the 2010-2013 Genuine Mercedes Benz Sprinters are far better than the '07-'09 Dodge/Freightliner NCV3's and really a whole magnitude of improvement over the T1N '02-'06 Freightliner/Dodge Sprinters.
If you drive your Sprinter correctly, and have it maintained (or DIY) with all the best/most approved fluids, in my experience, the newer MB NCV3 (319 and 519 series) (2500/3500 in NAFTA speak) are 100% reliable, get excellent fuel mileage, are much cleaner and environmentally friendly.
They have more power, they ride a whole lot better, if you select the 519 144" wb short back or the 519 170" wb short back you can legally tow 50% more weight.
Get one with the MB suspension seats, and you can drive all day and into the night very comfortably.
I have no idea how expensive they are to fix as none of mine has ever needed any fixing beyond things that are completely covered under the new vehicle or emissions warranty.
Actually the only things fixed replaced under warranty have been the 170" wheelbase drive shafts.
Just an annoying vibration @ 45-50 mph, but we went through the MB warranty process and the drive shafts were replaced with new factory units.
The new 2014 4 cylinder dual turbo 2.1 liter with the 7 speed automatic transmission is a dream to drive.
It will take some breaking in miles and a significant learning curve to extract the maximum fuel mileage (not hyper miling here) due to the major differences in how the OM-651 4 cylinder is fuel/boost mapped vs the OM-642 V6, but my mileage is slowly improving as I try different mileage improvement strategies.
Roger

autostaretx

Erratic Member
jam said:
I would say stay away from all of them. They are very expensive to fix. Mines in the dealer right now and might need a new ECM. That's about $2000 ouch
At least the ECM is covered by the powertrain warranty (at least, it was in 2005).
In 2010, my brand new Kia's powertrain warranty did NOT cover the ECM (also $2k... in a $16k car) after the 1st year.
(mine didn't die, but i was surprised to see it excluded by the warranty, and asked the dealer)

jam said:
2004 regular roof 2500 140wb
220k miles and counting
Divide $2k by 220k miles, and you'll find that the ECM replacement adds less than one cent per mile to your operating cost.

--dick

Last edited:

JAM

At least the ECM is covered by the powertrain warranty (at least, it was in 2005).
In 2010, my brand new Kia's powertrain warranty did NOT cover the ECM (also $2k... in a $16k car) after the 1st year.
(mine didn't die, but i was surprised to see it excluded by the warranty, and asked the dealer)

Divide $2k by 220k miles, and you'll find that the ECM replacement adds less than one cent per mile to your operating cost.

--dick
That's a good way to look at it lol. Actually have 250k now. All in all it really hasn't been a bad van. Just your typical maintenance. It's just frustrating about the issue in having. Some people may not be able to afford the expensive fixes on these vans. That's why I said stay away from them.

Coast2Coast

2006 158 Cargo
kinda off topic but what year did MB configure suspension seats to the NCV3? Would be a nice upgrade in a T1N. I'd imagine I'll get in a OM-651 sometime in the future but I'm riding the T1N out to 300+ k. I think I'll skip the v6 :wtf:

Last edited:

pcburnout

My junky 05 t1n
I thought it would be nice van for what they cost there way over priced!
I've had nothing but problems with mine and the list is long!
If it wasn't for high top I would have got rid of it months ago and only own it 1 1/2 year now!
only good thing is it does get really good gas mileage but if diesel gets any higher then van is worthless! Shame to here newer ones are as junky but I guess its the MERCEDES NAME!
Good Luck!

SullyVan

2005 T1N Conversion
My junky 05 t1n
I thought it would be nice van for what they cost there way over priced!
I've had nothing but problems with mine and the list is long!
If it wasn't for high top I would have got rid of it months ago and only own it 1 1/2 year now!
only good thing is it does get really good gas mileage but if diesel gets any higher then van is worthless! Shame to here newer ones are as junky but I guess its the MERCEDES NAME!
Good Luck!
These things seem to be hit or miss. No major problems on my 05 t1n. 177,000 miles.

galvinize

2003 T1N passenger van 152,000 miles

This van has been reliable, and the only complaint has been rust concealed under the front door step plates, and rather frequent EGR cleaning and replacement. The problem is: you may have a hard time finding a vintage T 1N in good condition...

Wait and look at the new 2014 Ford Transit Van it is very similar to the Sprinter... And much less expensive.

surlyoldbill

I haven't had any problems that this forum hasn't helped me repair myself in less than a day. Probably $1500 spent on parts in the last 7 years of ownership. From what I've read on this forum, most of the people with excessive problems have vans that are driven by employees and not themselves; employees are hard on equipment. Maybe some people are just abusive drivers.

Cole

OUTLAW SPRINTER!!!
I've been doing a MASSIVE nation wide search of Sprinters for sale looking for the right deal. My impression at this point is that 2007-2009 seems to be the sweet spot in price. The T1N are vastly over priced for what they are IMO. Old, High mile, poorly maintained, beat up junk that people are wanting more than half the original new price for!

In many cases it seems you can get a much newer, lower mile, better condition Sprinter for a better price.

surlyoldbill

I've seen several T1N's with less than 100k for less than $10k in the last year. Not typical, but they are out there. Most people keep them for a long time, so there are few with low miles available. I don't expect to drive mine past 350k, so I have 5-6 years from now until I sell it (barring unforseen circumstances).

I've been doing a MASSIVE nation wide search of Sprinters for sale looking for the right deal. My impression at this point is that 2007-2009 seems to be the sweet spot in price. The T1N are vastly over priced for what they are IMO. Old, High mile, poorly maintained, beat up junk that people are wanting more than half the original new price for!

In many cases it seems you can get a much newer, lower mile, better condition Sprinter for a better price.
I know of a 158" high roof van for sale out in colorado...think it has 133k miles on it and they were asking $15,500 for it.

I have had my 04 140" low roof for 20,000 miles and so far it has been a decent vehicle. It has its problems but it also has 320,000 miles on it. The transmission shifts a little jerkily even after a fluid and filter change and its not a fan of really cold weather until it warms up properly. I have the injector seals to contend with and some other small issues but overall the van has served me well. I have taken multiple trips with motorcycles in the back and I have towed multiple vehicles with it as well. I'd love a new one but I like the older ones as they are a little bit more basic and new ones just cost so much.

Cole

OUTLAW SPRINTER!!!
I know of a 158" high roof van for sale out in colorado...think it has 133k miles on it and they were asking $15,500 for it.

Way too much for me! I've seen far too many $5-7k vans recently to spend more than double. But thank you.

IMO, these are "neat" vans. But....not worthy of the prices for old, high mile CARGO vehicles.

Some of the vans I've seen for sale at the higher prices have been for sale for a LONG time!

I can wait!:smilewink:

Top Bottom