Australia Post - NCV3 Sprinter

The Guru

Australia Post has signed a five year contract with Mercedes-Benz Australia/Pacific for the supply of Mercedes-Benz vans.

The agreement will see Australia Post’s exiting fleet of mail vans replaced with the award-winning Mercedes-Benz Sprinter van.

Following an extensive tender process, Australia Post selected the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter due to a number of factors, including:

Unrestricted kerbside access
Vehicle specification
Cost of ownership
A driver field test evaluation

The new contract for the Mercedes Benz Sprinter van includes:

Leading-edge Mercedes-Benz safety technology, including features such as Adaptive Electronic Stability Programme ESP®
EU4 emission class engine performance
Five-speed full automatic transmission]
Benchmark levels of driver ergonomics, offering valuable features such as parking sensors
Extensive customer support, including a three-year/200,000 km parts and labour warranty, 24-hour roadside assistance, significant parts support and the backing of a nationwide dealer network
Provision for vehicle maintenance
Proven key account management by Mercedes-Benz Vans

Commenting on the van supply contract, managing director for commercial vehicles at Mercedes-Benz Australia/Pacific, Ken Matthews, said Australia Post’s decision to put the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter into such a vital role was yet another strong indication of the model’s versatility, reliability and performance in larger fleet operations.

“I am delighted with Australia Post’s decision,” said Matthews.

“This year, Mercedes-Benz Vans has commenced its tenth year in the Australian market and my team and I are very happy to welcome Australia Post as a new customer,” concluded Matthews.

Mercedes-Benz will provide a tailored version of the strong selling Sprinter van, delivering vehicles in Australia Post’s distinct red paint ex-factory.

Australia Post joins a growing catalogue of major organisations that have made the Mercedes-Benz Sprinter its choice of van. The award-winning and versatile Sprinter will soon add nationwide mail delivery to its ever-growing and impressive résumé, which already includes ambulance service in a variety of states across Australia and luxury motor home service in both Australia and New Zealand with leading brands Britz and Maui

Attachments

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
That killed Ford Transit and the Merc sales reps have gone ballistic over this as to what impact it will have on Sprinter sales in other sectors? to the resale value of the Sprinters and leasing base of return units. good for VW if they could get more units but they are dictated to by the numbers they can get hold of, sort of like Chevrolet v its other brands ..Chevrolet rules the roast same as Mercedes does the same.
Should be interesting to see the outcome of this exercise as to the divisions of thoughts through dealerships so far there is discontent at sales levels.
Richard

The Guru

Richard,

Im interested to know how you can comment about the thoughts of the MBV dealer network as you live in Tasmania? The addition of Australia Post to the Mercedes-Benz ever increasing list of fleet accounts can only be a reflectioin on the quality of the product. I'm not sure whether you can call this an exercise?

My father once told me "Remember there is always some who knows more than you"'

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Humm! I'll rephrase what I said or should have said as there is two thought's on the go at the moment on this one. both are coming out Of Sydney, Brisbane and Tas street talk the same issue has arisen in Canada with very similar issues,that has Merritt.
Post man Postman, don't be slow... be like Richard go man go.

Mercedes Benz has upgraded both the Sprinters and the Vito for per say 2008.. but even without the upgrades MB has been kicking some serious....ummm....post erior in the van segment. And it seems like mostly Ford's gluteas maximus, that's getting in the way of Ben'z bruising drop-punt.

After a 25 year unbroken record of supplying Transvestites Vans to Aus-Post Ford has lost out to Ben'z Sprinter-the German Company having secured a five year contract to provide 1200 new vehicles or thereabouts for your snails mail to reach it's destination , It will take more than a Sprinter to fix that one:laughing: but that another story.

The word on the streets from the back room boys is that the Transit was minnowed:shifty: out of the running at an early stage, apparently based partly on the Postals services recent experience with the same vehicle..:shhh:.
Despite benz's being hamstrung... by not being able to demonstrate such features as the sprinters Adaptive ESP????....which takes into account different payloads, vehicle weight distribution and over the vehicles (variable) centre of gravity, The Sprinter , still took out TOP SPOT in Aussie's Post's Battle of the Vans.

Ben'z marketing people said they were hoping for the opportunity to show the Sprinters abilities on a race track, weaving through a salom with and without payloads.However! The tendering process apparently didn't allow for that one.
The postal preferences for the Sprinter are the icing on the cake for Benz, the ambulance services also opting for more Sprinters replacing older and or upgrading from the old Ford F350 most of those are up North now-days and Central out back the sprinter has issues there but that could easily be fixed, Just to really spoil Ford's breakfast, MB old news now...introduced a 12 seater bus variant of the Sprinter.
There are only two other models in this configuration in the Australian market, and Ford sells one of them... I'll add to that at the end of this print.
Mind you Ford wont be felling the pinch there too much.In January,six transvestites were sold-versus..189 units of the..Toyota Hi-Ace Commuter.

Ford has attempted to take back the initiative from Benz by announcing Standard ABS on the release of the 2007 Ford Transit with optioned up Adaptive ESP ABS and it was a good price I'll give them credit for that one , whether it worked or not, the not so new upgrades for Transit on precisely the same day as the revised Sprinter and Vito media-launch but it smacks of too little too late.
Daimler AG world wide has increased it's sales by marketing direct to fleet operations, and has been successful in doing so, as Daimler AG has always done by investing and looking to alternative options of increased sales.

Media release! is not always accurate it plays on the positive and naturally does not quote on the negative side of a vehicle as to a alternative make.
Ford has the passenger Transit 49 grand Sprinter has the 12 seater passenger unit 76 grand plus on road costs plus accessories
Toyota has nothing to do with either Ford or the Sprinter that's in another class of its own.
Fiat has a passenger bus fitted out in Australia 49 grand.
Renault has a passenger unit 51 grand.again retro fitted as a passenger unit with correct suspension set.
Twenty six thousand dollars difference between these models goes to say who buys what in volume Mercedes is aiming for fleet sales others are looking for the Small operator and RV clan Fiats campers are everywhere as are the Transit RV units,, I am referring to current 2007-8 models one only has to go to the wharf at Melbourne as see whats coming down on the ferry TT-Line or go up to Brisbane Sydney Queensland and see how many other units,are on the road. Fords junk, Fiats are very equal to a sprinter even though it's front wheel drive, it has a chassis and that's where Fiat, wins and with price.
VW Crafters as RV units, are showing up stronger by the day, You can order a VW crafter with just about any configuration you want... VW is far more forgiving and willing to negotiate than the Mercedes dealership can! and or are willing to, even though both of the latter are Benz manufactured with different engines and transmissions, any colour you want not a problem, they are making inroads with sales as to Australia's booming economy.
MB put an increase on MB units each January.. VW has not increased prices for 18 months the increase from MB was not justified as to the Australian dollar reaching 89cents in the dollar at the 2008 year On tins we payed a heavy price for any Mercedes Benz unit but in fairness our dollar was on worth 69 cents back in 2005, the US dollar is worth less but the Aus price for sprinters has increased dramatically and there are dealerships who are not happy with the current practices by the principle importer of the Bent Benz. with how the sale with Aus Post was done.
Not my problem , but it is when resale values drop.. The biggest single courier in the southern hemisphere will be the key as to where he goes for the next vehicle MB or VW , I have a 50/50 bet-each way, on that one.
Its not that I know more, I don't My interest is is in a fair deal for everyone, it makes a great partnership and a customer base, that has a guarantee of a returning client coming back, a relationship with you dealer which takes years to build up where there is a mutual trust base between the sales rep and the customer, is only as strong as your loyalty can be, play games on trade back ,and watch the customer base disappear we are not going to stay on this roller coaster ride down under, it can not be sustained,and sales will be diverted as other manufactures catch up with the Fantastic Mercedes-Benz Sprinter the base cost of a Sprinter , you have to ask your self this question what's it worth on trade back! after a lease expires? used prices at dealerships have high markups, that's OK.. they have to buy refinance and resell them,but when the franchisee offers up to ten grand less than the one of the three red book values to a customer trade back valuation nothing for acc/s then the question becomes valid ..What's going On ? 10 thousand dollar mark up for resale...NO WARRANTY.
Toyota held its re-trade value the cheapest van on the market the Mitsubishi a 22 year old platform based van that should not even be on an Australian road sells drive away for 20 grand on the road with an ABN,and fleet discount, after three years, it still sells secondhand for 15 to 16 thousand dollars Sprinter, your lucky to get that even the ambos go to auction they get a better price at auction than a dealer can offer, although I admit I'd be cautious as to wanting to buy one. Yes Tasmania is my home base, but so is Brisbane, and I do travel and get about.
Currently at the Grand Chancellor Brisbane.
Richard

DSC00757 (Large).jpg

DSC01014 (Large).jpg

The Guru

Can someone please tell me what this guy is talking about?

Stop making things up as you go along! Your so far off the mark its not funny.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Can someone please tell me what this guy is talking about?

Stop making things up as you go along! Your so far off the mark its not funny.
Congratulations Guru:clapping: you finally showed your true colurs
All along the watch tower, I do thee guard and protect.
Pre-empting ,your reply in advance as follows.
Knowing your pre-thoughts of advanced retaliatory hit and run tactics. "What was written!" and as it was pre-warned on the lines of the above posting, that Media does not always play by the Bent Benz rules of engagement.
What was written has been submitted to the Australian Media sites not blogs as such, as one has no right of reply.
Therefore I did not make up the statement out of thin air, as it was almost copied word for word, the difference of a forum and a Media site:thinking: one can add comment that has reverence to an article, of which has factual information more than fiction.. as was recorded and re-written, and is available to be viewed..... on the Australian...INTERNET.
One can sit behind a glass tower, blinded by the opaque star! as to what I said, is verified by the real time concerns, of the lower ranks.
Of course you made two of erroneous, and inflammatory remarks towards what I wrote, on another part of Sprinter-source Forum...you made the same remark. without justification or cause to incite discontent amoungst the forum.
Guru you entered this site under false intent, what you place on the forum is Text book print. You do not own a Sprinter, nor do you appreciate how one interacts with the units, thrash them love them. They are a great vehicles.
Advantages Who are you! Who am I?...Yes I know from where you hail, and the games you want to play, will not be forth coming.
I asked you last year to help My Friends on this forum , as to the known dissatisfaction of the Bent Benz in the States, The sprinter has issues its in part mostly generated by an unprepared team of Management, at the top end of town... who to this day still think the V6 is a 4-in-line.. Franchisees who don't,and are not obliged to undertake to the expenses of Mercedes-Benz offerings, for advanced learnings, as we would would expect elsewhere on this planet of ours.
We do make mistakes, we learn from our mistakes, and the forum has grown , we enjoy our friendship between members,... Membership is a privilege! 'it's Not a right' to attack with inflammatory remarks.....inter-reactions of dialog and thoughts, leads to a better understanding to resolve a members thoughts as to a question, the forum is self policing, if one goes to far! He or she will be given warning via a private pm , you have been advised as to your original attempt to intimidate me, to give information off-line... that is quite frankly none of your business.
At this point of juncture...I will make this public for all to view, If you wish to join in and inter- react, 'with positive and polite social intercourse on this forum', then you are welcome to do so.
If you chose not to do so, then you will be asked to go.
I'll leave this thread open. with a final thought! "Why has no one given comment, as to your remarks.

Richard

phaeton

Volkwagen Fanatic
I'm happy NCV3 has got the Aussie Post contract would be better if it had a VW badge though :tongue:

The Guru

Australia Post PSM program

1. Handbrake protection function

The handbrake protection function is designed to alert the driver that the handbrake warning light is still illuminated on the dash – The vehicles horn will continually sound only when both the following conditions are active:

• The handbrake warning light is illuminated on the dash.
• The vehicle recognises vehicle speed.

2. Engine overheating protection function

The engine overheating protection function is designed to prevent the engine overheating due to the loss of coolant – The vehicles horn will intermittently operate, the radio will mute, the instrument warning buzzer will operate only when the following conditions are active:

• The low coolant light is illuminated on the dash.
• The engine temperature is over 125 degrees.
• The vehicle recognises vehicle speed.

3. Hazard warning lights will activate when the handbrake is applied and any of the below Signal ID's are present on the interior CAN.

• Drivers door open
• Passenger door open
• Rear door open
• N/S sliding door open

4. Hazad warning lights wil activate and radio mute when the gear selector lever is in the 'Reverse' postion.

Additonal functions are to be added.

Top Bottom