2004 Mercedes Sprinter 2500 Transmission issues

thkohlb

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and opening a sprinter, but excited about both. My sprinter is a 2004 Mercedes sprinter with 147,600 miles on it and it has the 2.7 L 5 Cylinder turbo diesel with and auto transmission.

I have 2 issues.

When the sprinter shifts from 2nd to 3rd (i believe, maybe 3rd-4th) the engine revs about 1-2k high then its perfect. This confuses me, but I know you guys have been around these long than I have so I need our expertise.

2nd issue was a one time occurence on the way home from buying it. I drove it about 40 miles home on the highway and when I got off it did not want to come out of gear, it was like it stayed in 2nd gear (I believe 2nd since it was at 3500 rpm at 35 miles an hour). I shifted to park and back to drive, it didn't help. I turned off the van and back on and it has been perfect since. I did find the auto trans fuse and relay under the drivers seat and they were both corroded. I cleaned them off and sprayed them with anti corrosive spray. No issues since, but I am looking for input on what it may be.

Any help/ideas you guys have would be appreciated!

Your second issue is transmission limp home mode (lhm). Not sure what the first problem is. Do you know when the filter and trans fluid were changed?

I should say...your second issue is causing LHM. Shutting the van off and restartingoften resets the LHM

Last edited:

owner

Oz '03 316CDI LWB ex-Ambo Patient Transport
Check your atf level, these boxes are sensitive to level, try to keep it at the maximum mark, but never above it.

If that doesn't fix it then drain and refill with the proper mb fluid and filter, these boxes are also sensitive to cheap fluid. Check for atf in the electrical connector and the TCU while you're there.

At least then you will have a solid starting point for further diagnosis if required.

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
I have 2 issues.

When the sprinter shifts from 2nd to 3rd (i believe, maybe 3rd-4th) the engine revs about 1-2k high then its perfect. This confuses me, but I know you guys have been around these long than I have so I need our expertise.

2nd issue was a one time occurence on the way home from buying it. I drove it about 40 miles home on the highway and when I got off it did not want to come out of gear, it was like it stayed in 2nd gear (I believe 2nd since it was at 3500 rpm at 35 miles an hour). I shifted to park and back to drive, it didn't help. I turned off the van and back on and it has been perfect since.

Any help/ideas you guys have would be appreciated!
!1.Mine does this revving between 3rd and forth for 2 years and have not found the cause or fix. Although just 600RPM rise

Last edited:

lindenengineering

The rev/ (slip) condition is called Flare in the trade !

It can sometimes be reduced by a fresh charge of fluid & filter.
The other day I did a DARF mod and the flaring went away--Fancy that!

Customer actually phoned and told me his 2002 Tinney was now so smooth and QUIET he could actually call me on his cell phone and hear the conversation!
BUT
Really it was the diff pinion bearings that were the culprit but at 535,000 I would expect it!

Nevertheless to get a call of thanks is rare in this business and Range Rover /Landrover owners NEVER say thanks for pulling a rabbit out of the hat!

So this week you meet the nicest people driving Sprinters:hugs:
Dennis

pacman_34

A friend of mine had the same problem. Slipping from second to third. I believe the problem was that the 13 pin connector was leaking and oil leaked into the tcu under the driver seat. Take off the driver seat and see if the tcu plugs have oil on them. If so you can take out the electronic board and clean it out with electronic cleaner.

GREYGHOST

03 dodge 2500 om612
Removed driver seat and started cleaning everything! With a 2003 and 347k it was high time. I think I was cleaning up coffee mixed with dust and some diesel fuel ! How would I get the cicuit board out of the TCM or TCU ? . Is the TCM the one laying flat on the bracket bars with two connectors? I have not been able to access the TCM with the DAD. The pins looked oily, but I tried to clean without busting it open. I sprayed the pins from the outside with QD plastic safe electronic cleaner and the oil would reappear after the electronic cleaner would evaporate. I was carefult to hold it with the pin connector part down so not to wash junk farther into the module. Thanks, John

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
My Darf was performed right after the Flaring began and didn't fix it. Trans fluid changed 2 times with v MAXLIFE and once with Redline D6atf, solenoids cleaned of black film, trans electrical connector changed.
Only things not done were check that oil has not wicked up to the fuses under the seat because I don't know where to look, and I forgot to remove& clean the black electrical board inside the solenoid area of the transmission.

pacman_34

Removed driver seat and started cleaning everything! With a 2003 and 347k it was high time. I think I was cleaning up coffee mixed with dust and some diesel fuel ! How would I get the cicuit board out of the TCM or TCU ? . Is the TCM the one laying flat on the bracket bars with two connectors? I have not been able to access the TCM with the DAD. The pins looked oily, but I tried to clean without busting it open. I sprayed the pins from the outside with QD plastic safe electronic cleaner and the oil would reappear after the electronic cleaner would evaporate. I was carefult to hold it with the pin connector part down so not to wash junk farther into the module. Thanks, John
Yea, its the one on top with the two bars. Usually there is alot of oil on the circuit board if you have oil on the pins. You can use four small flat screwdrivers to push in between the case and the tabs. Use another screwdriver to slide the board out.

thkohlb

Your second issue is transmission limp home mode (lhm). Not sure what the first problem is. Do you know when the filter and trans fluid were changed?

I should say...your second issue is causing LHM. Shutting the van off and restartingoften resets the LHM
The fluids were changed less than 1500 miles ago.

Also I was wrong, the transmission only revs about 500-600 high, so it is the same as "NelsoSprinter"'s issue.

Does anyone have a pic of what the TCU plug/harness looks like?

What is this 13 pin connector connected too that it is leaking oil? Is this connected to the TCM?

As for the LHM, I looked at the fuse box and there was corrosion on all the fuses and relays, so I sprayed them down with electronic's cleaner and have had no issues since, including the trip to Detroit for the Cincinnati Bengal's game last sunday. Who Dey!

Thanks for all the help guys!!!!

thkohlb

http://www.justanswer.com/chrysler/30z8q-steps-replacing-nag-transmission-connector-inside.html

The 13 pin connector is item 10 in the link above. Its mounted to the transmission where the wires go in. Tcm is underneath driver seat all the way on top. A black box attached to two rails. Can't miss it if you take the seat off.
So I should try cleaning the oil off at the TCM first, if it is there. Then if that does fix the issue I guess I try and replace the o-rings at the tranny to prevent it from happening again.

Thanks for the help guys!

thkohlb

My Darf was performed right after the Flaring began and didn't fix it. Trans fluid changed 2 times with v MAXLIFE and once with Redline D6atf, solenoids cleaned of black film, trans electrical connector changed.
Only things not done were check that oil has not wicked up to the fuses under the seat because I don't know where to look, and I forgot to remove& clean the black electrical board inside the solenoid area of the transmission.
Did you clean the solenoids yourself? How hard are they to get to? Is this an easy DIY job?

POGUE

i've had these same issues with my 2002 sprinter with 185,000. my only problem is i just got the van and don't know any maintenance records on the van. i've heard that a trans. service with improper maintenance can cause failure. i really would like a service on the trans. so i have a reference point and maybe cure some of my issues. any thoughts or help on how to approach this would be great or is the milage to high, should i just drive it until it dies. thanks paul

i've had these same issues with my 2002 sprinter with 185,000. my only problem is i just got the van and don't know any maintenance records on the van. i've heard that a trans. service with improper maintenance can cause failure.
I'm not clear on that statement. Do you mean:
At 185,000 miles and no previous service "they" tell me that the new fluid will screw things up.

If yes to that, I don't agree. I would do a pan - Torque Converter TC drain with new filter. It may cure your symptoms. Just a pan drain and filter is not enough. It may take more than one change operation if the symptoms return.

or

If the improper transmission fluid was used that can cause failure/symptoms.

If yes to that, I agree. You should use proper spec fluid. The transmissions seem sensitive to fluid formulation, but it is basically just an ATF III fluid.

i really would like a service on the trans. so i have a reference point and maybe cure some of my issues. any thoughts or help on how to approach this would be great or is the milage to high, should i just drive it until it dies. thanks paul
Were I you, I'd change the fluid. You should have many, many more miles left to go.

vic

POGUE

right now the van has 185,000 miles, i don't know if the trans. was ever serviced. some shops say that if a trans has this many miles without a trans. service that a service could finish the seals in the trans. causing it to fail. so was just inquiring if i should proceed with a service or is there something else i should do to protect the trans. thanks paul

right now the van has 185,000 miles, i don't know if the trans. was ever serviced. some shops say that if a trans has this many miles without a trans. service that a service could finish the seals in the trans. causing it to fail. so was just inquiring if i should proceed with a service or is there something else i should do to protect the trans. thanks paul
Those shops are probably basing that on experience with vehicles which won't likely ever see 500,000 miles on the original drive train. There are many examples of that length of service for Sprinters. Some even go much longer.

I believe that the original T1N transmission fluid service schedule was 80,000 miles and no further changes ever. That has been modified since, but it shows that MB counted on long service intervals.

Do an advanced search using Sully as member name and "stuck transmission". If I recall correctly he was in a similar situation.

Jusy my :2cents: vic

Top Bottom