Living With My New Advanced RV

Diamondsea

This new thread continues from my old concerning my Advanced RV being built.

Now that the Nova Kool has settled in it is doing a great job. The fridge is at 36F and the bottom freezer is at 8F. There are 4 possible compressor speeds selectable by changing a resistor. Mine is set for the next to slowest speed for good efficiency. Thermostat has a range from numbers 1 to 7 (coldest) and mine is set at 5.5. It runs a lot and is whisper quiet.

pattonsr

Does the bottom freezer have its own thermostat? It sounds like there is only one thermostat and if you set it colder to lower the freezer to 0F the fridge will get too cold.

Davydd

How about some photos of all this? The Advanced RV website is coyly deficient with repeated showings of kitchen sink faucets and such.

As with just about every converter, they all lack detail and information for making an investment of a hundred grand. It's frustrating.

Diamondsea

The refrigerator has only one thermostat/adjustable control and it is in the top part which is the refrigerator. There are separate evaporator plates in each part. I just checked the thermometers and the temperatures are within a degree of my previous report. The evaporator in the bottom freezer has a larger surface area that the other. My assumption is that they figured out how to make it work while keeping it simple.

Diamondsea

I have tried to up-load photos but they are too large to up-load. How do I resize .jpg files on my Mac?

Last edited:

Davydd

If you store your .jpg files on a Mac in iPhoto it is rather easy. Select your photo, go to File > Export and set the file size to medium. No matter what size your original photo is that will make it a 640 x 480 pixel photo. Save that photo to a folder of your choosing (no longer in iPhoto). Now that you have a suitable photo you need a photo hosting service with which to reference your photo into your message. I use Photobucket because it is free up to a certain extent and has easy tools to place a link. Once you have a photo in Photobucket you can easily cut and paste the IMG tagged photo from Photobucket into your message here. Here is a photo. Do a quote on this message and you should see the IMG tag for the photo to see how it works.

If you don't have your photos stored in iPhoto and they are larger than 640 x pixels you can set a default in Photobucket to automatically reduce them to that size when you upload or you can do it yourself with the Preview app with a duplicate of the photo.

Here is the link to Photobucket: http://www.photobucket.com

Last edited:

d_bertko

No photo hosting intermediary site is needed for the Sprinter-Forum.

I do a variation on my Mac---I just email myself a medium pic and then store that pic in a desktop folder of resized Sprinter pix. (Admittedly just exporting to that folder would be more direct.)

Just link to your resized pic when composing and upload that.

Dan

Davydd

I post to so many message board forums that I like to have control of where I store my photos on the Internet and be able to manage them. That's why I use Photobucket. For instance that Mount Rushmore photo probably has been linked in at least two other message board forums and I know exactly which library I have it stored in Photobucket. Also, using the BBCode IMG tag reference links is pretty consistent across the Internet for me and I don't have to relearn or follow the nuances of every message board forum.

I'm not sure why you would email a photo to yourself or at least how that can be more efficient. My iPhone automatically syncs with my Mac anytime I have a wifi connection through iCloud or I can just plug it directly into the Mac and import to iPhoto or drag and drop to a folder of choice. I use two other digital cameras that I do the same with a USB cable. From iPhoto, or Aperture or Lightroom whichever is your choice you can do some post processing if you desire. The default iPhoto has served my amateur needs adequately.

Diamondsea

I am selecting each photo in iPhoto then File then export medium and each to my desktop. I can then attach them OK. The middle photo above the build was not complete. Here are 3 more. the chair was a temporary one; I have a nice wood one in its place.

Attachments

Davydd

Is the microwave strictly a microwave or is it a combination convection oven/microwave? We have the combo and I must admit for our first two years we never used the convection feature and only used to microwave to heat water or a hot dog and re-heat coffee. We finally got out the manual and learned how to use the convection portion and now use that feature more than microwaving. At first I thought it was overkill for a B but now have changed my mind. In reality 99% of the time it is our bread cabinet. :)

There is a certain elegance to the curvature of the upper cabinets. Our GWVan transitions a bit more clunkily but I have come to dislike a shelf with a variable depth dimension such as we have. You cannot plan and store modularly very easily. Do your upper cabinets have a variable depth?

If we buy another B, after 8 years of always having electric sofas converting to queen beds we are thinking of a twin bed design. The tri-sofa is nice and makes for a nice, more open living space in the back, but we end up one person in the back and one person in the turned around seat in the front if doing things like reading books. The sofas have never been that comfortable for watching TV so we ultimately turn the bed down to watch. I don't think we would ever sit sideways on the seats or entertain back there as the back bolsters imply. I think I would want something more along the line the Winnebago ERA 70A plan offers for twin beds, higher with more storage underneath with more upper body shoulder and arm room. One thing for sure, having a fixed queen bed or the sofa converted bed that you have to crawl in and out of is starting to get old with us. One trip I over extended my shoulders scooting out of bed and they hurt the whole trip. Most every ERA couple I've met never fill in the notch to make a full bed.

Last edited:

Diamondsea

Is the microwave strictly a microwave or is it a combination convection oven/microwave? We have the combo and I must admit for our first two years we never used the convection feature and only used to microwave to heat water or a hot dog and re-heat coffee. We finally got out the manual and learned how to use the convection portion and now use that feature more than microwaving. At first I thought it was overkill for a B but now have changed my mind. In reality 99% of the time it is our bread cabinet. :)

There is a certain elegance to the curvature of the upper cabinets. Our GWVan transitions a bit more clunkily but I have come to dislike a shelf with a variable depth dimension such as we have. You cannot plan and store modularly very easily. Do your upper cabinets have a variable depth?

If we buy another B, after 8 years of always having electric sofas converting to queen beds we are thinking of a twin bed design. The tri-sofa is nice and makes for a nice, more open living space in the back, but we end up one person in the back and one person in the turned around seat in the front if doing things like reading books. The sofas have never been that comfortable for watching TV so we ultimately turn the bed down to watch. I don't think we would ever sit sideways on the seats or entertain back there as the back bolsters imply. I think I would want something more along the line the Winnebago ERA 70A plan offers for twin beds, higher with more storage underneath with more upper body shoulder and arm room. One thing for sure, having a fixed queen bed or the sofa converted bed that you have to crawl in and out of is starting to get old with us. One trip I over extended my shoulders scooting out of bed and they hurt the whole trip. Most every ERA couple I've met never fill in the notch to make a full bed.
The standard is a convection microwave, and I have that at home and I never use the convection feature. Therefore, at my request, a non-convection microwave of the largest size reasonable size possible was installed. Large size equals big pizzas! In order to have required airspace around it and also for fridge cooling extra width was required. This required the elimination of the storage cupboard aft of the microwave but the slide out "pantry" just aft of the fridge was retained.

Upper cabinets do have variable depth.

My Advanced RV is the first built, I believe, with the twin beds. They are currently building another with the twin beds raised an inch. Most class B twin owners I know leave the bolsters at home and leave the beds made up for sleeping. I had guests aboard last evening and we sat on the edges of the beds. Due to the width of the beds bolsters must be very big to provide back support. Guest sitting without back support might leave sooner!!! With only a foot between the berths folks sit staggered so as to have knee room.

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
I am selecting each photo in iPhoto then File then export medium and each to my desktop. I can then attach them OK.
When exporting from iPhoto you can also specify the size of the photo and by doing that and choosing 900 you get the biggest photo you can upload to the forum and we get a little more detail in the photos you upload.

I don't like using external sites to host photos. As you go around this board you will see LOTS of posts that have photos blanked out by servers that changed their terms of service and no longer allow such links. You will also see lots of links (from me included) to eBay auctions that are long gone as well, so it's not just photos links that die. If I post a photo to this site and I die or I get a Nissan (I will never get a Nissan) and stop posting here, the good information I posted that some nubie could use will not necessarily be accompanied by the demonstrative photo I original added. :professor:

-Randy

Davydd

My Advanced RV is the first built, I believe, with the twin beds. They are currently building another with the twin beds raised an inch. Most class B twin owners I know leave the bolsters at home and leave the beds made up for sleeping. I had guests aboard last evening and we sat on the edges of the beds. Due to the width of the beds bolsters must be very big to provide back support. Guest sitting without back support might leave sooner!!! With only a foot between the berths folks sit staggered so as to have knee room.
Do you think 1" higher would make much difference? I'm guessing you have at least 11" clearance under your bed mainly because of wheel well clearance but I would be looking for 17" clearance because that is the magic number for shoving a standard portable cooler, an enclosed cat litter box or my inflatable kayaks in a pack bag underneath in the most flexible and efficient manner. That would push the bed height up too high to be used as a sitting sofa. Thus no need for those bolsters. And of course you couldn't entertain back there either. Always trade offs in a B.

Top Bottom