Living With My New Advanced RV

Davydd

I've started my previous 2005 Sprinter and my current Sprinter in below 0 temperatures in Minnesota. It hasn't been a concern because I never intend to travel in those conditions.

Davydd

The engine coolant interface is an optional feature on the MCS 5. I am not sure if Advanced RV offers this an an option. The altitude sensing option I mentioned earlier is a black box plug in for around $275. The engine coolant loop could be more dollars in labor costs alone. Most class A's have this engine loop.
The altitude sensing option would be a definite must camping in the Rocky Mountains. Most of the time last September we were camped at that altitude or higher and usually needed heat in the morning. We seem to always end up out west just about every year.

Diamondsea

I knew it pulled a lot of amps since my ScanGage voltage drops about .5 volts when it is running. First time I thought I had an electrical problem until I figured out what the reason was. Did not know it was 1000 watts. Does anyone know if you can prevent it from operating by turning the temperature selector to zero? Do not want to run the electric heater and my 600 watt inverter at the same time. 600 watt inverter is powered by the Sprinter 12 volt system. Another way I should be able to prevent it from running might be using the Espar to heat the water before starting the engine. They should have provided an on/off switch so we can control its operation.
Why not just turn off the inverter pre start and leave it off for 5 minutes. After that the engine coolant is hot and the electric heat boost goes off.

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
That is what I do in normal weather. In cold weather the electric heater will stay on for a longer period of time. What I do not know is how long it stays on because engine water is not up to temperature. Dah. I think I just answered my own question. Watch the Scan Gage and when voltage returns to normal, that tells me heater has stopped operating.

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
Wait, 1000 watt engine water heater? I know the T1Ns (and I thought later Sprinters) can have a diesel heater for heating the engine water (to heat the cab at engine start idle) that with an optional timer can heat the engine water *before* trying to start the engine. I know of motoraid water heaters that take the heat of the engine water and warm your hot water tank. I know of aftermarket hydronic heaters (like the diesel heater above) that also use air heat exchangers to warm the cabin in back, like GWV uses. But what is this 12 volt engine water heater you guys speak of?

-Randy

sailquik

Randy,
The electric cabin heater in the later NCV3's does not heat the engine coolant at all.
It simply comes on and warms the air coming from the Heat/AC vents into the cab.
Instead of waiting quite a while for the engine to warm the coolant enough to get some heat in the
driver/passenger compartment, the electric heater comes on right away and you have heat about a minute after
start up.
It shuts off when the engine coolant warms up enough to provide heat.
Roger

Diamondsea

SailQuik is absolutely correct re the 1000 watt electric heater. Besides warming you up quickly it has another advantage. Modern gas and diesel engines pollute the most when cold so it is desirable that they warm up fast especially in cold weather. The electric heat draw puts additional load on the alternator and engine (more fuel is injected) and the just-getting-warm-coolant does not give up nearly as much heat to the heater core. This equals faster engine warmup.

sailquik

And..... the engine coolant thermostat stays closed so very little coolant is being circulated to the coolant radiator and the heater core.
Lack of coolant circulation (until the thermostat begins to open @ ~180-190 deg. F) is why it takes so long for a Sprinter cab to get warm when the engine is started from cold.
Also, the 2014 4 cylinder has a high idle (right after start up). RPM goes to ~1500 and then quickly settles back to ~100-200 above the normal
760 RPM when the engine is fully up to temp.
Roger

bobojay

Speaking of high idle. I noticed when we were out in the mountains about 6 weeks ago, say 5k' on up, when the temp was down below 40 degrees or so, on a cold start the engine would idle at 1200 rpm, never going below 900 rpm during the day, hot or cold engine. Of course when I put it in gear it would slow down to it's normal 750 rpm in gear.
As we came back east and got into the flat lands of southeastern Colorado & southwest Kansas, it went back to it's normal routine of all 750 rpm idling in or out of gear when warmed up.
Our 2008 chassis 3500 class C RV didn't do this.

Boxster1971

2023 Sprinter 2500 144wb AWD
The electric cabin heater in the later NCV3's does not heat the engine coolant at all.
It simply comes on and warms the air coming from the Heat/AC vents into the cab. ....
FYI - my 2001 Prius has the same feature. Great on cold mornings. But the heated front seats on my Sprinter Interstate are the best on cold mornings. :D:

andiamo

First post on this forum. I have been educating myself on class b rv's for a while and find Sprinter-Forum to be great. Thank you all for the information.
My wife and I visited dealers and shows and had our hands on almost every class b. A few weeks ago we ordered our Advanced RV. Last week we made our second visit to the factory and chose interior details, materials, colors,etc. The craftsmen were installing wiring and insulation in our van when we arrived. Our visit was incredible. Mike Neundorfer has assembled a terrific team to make his vision a reality. Everyone we met was enthusiastic about their work and totally engaged in the custom process. We feel great with our choice and can't wait to hit the road. Thank you Diamondsea for sharing your experiences with your Advanced RV.
Regards, Joe

andiamo

We ordered the Sprinter with the V6. I considered the four for the increased gas mileage. I could not find any performance reviews of the 4 in an RV on US roads. I also would not have ordered one unless I could drive it. I think we will know more after Mike and Marcia drive their 4 cylinder Advanced RV to the Florida RV Show.

sailquik

andiamo,
What about all the new 2014 4cylinder OM-651 2 stage turbocharged 2.1 liter Sprinter owners here on this forum?
So far, no one has even given a hint that they are dis-satisfied with the power and performance.
In fact most of us have been pretty amazed at what the little 4 cylinder can do when mated with the 7 speed (7G-Tronic) automatic
transmission.
You might have to do a little more shifting, but you have to do that with the OM-642 V6 /5G-Tronic/NAG-1 if you want it to give the
best performance and mileage.
You will have to go a little slower up steep (>4%) grades, but you won't be going noticeably slower than the V6 5 speed in 4th gear (got to get it out
of overdrive and get some RPM (2600-3000 RPM) to get any sort of performance and mileage.)
With the 2.1 liter 4 cylinder you'll be down into 4th or 5th gear (again, to get it out of overdrive.
You can run either engine @ 60 MPH all day long in 4th or 5th gear without any issues.
Most of the issues are generated by running @ < 2400 RPM with the % engine LOD at the max.....fuel usage at the max (for the RPM)... and boost at the max.
Get some revs on either engine and get them up into the range where they make some power and you get better performance AND better mileage for pulling grades
or heavier loads.
Sounds like you believe magazines and online RV forums (who know virtually nothing about Sprinters) more than people who know all about Sprinters and are
actually driving the new Sprinter 4 cylinders every day.
Think the magazine writers and editors know anything about manually downshifting a Sprinter to get the best mileage and performance.....I sure don't!
Roger

andiamo,
... Think the magazine writers and editors know anything about manually downshifting a Sprinter to get the best mileage and performance.....I sure don't!
Roger
You do so know about manually shifting. You write about it all the time. :tongue:

Sorry, couldn't resist. :cheers:

I'm amazed at how ingrained the notion of more power is always better remains in the USA. A smaller HP engine coupled with the correct transmission makes a big difference. The 4 cylinder Sprinter seems like an option worth giving at least a test drive to me.

vic

Last edited:

andiamo

Hi Roger, Thanks for your opinion. My driving experiences are probably biased. I had a couple of underpowered vehicles that I was extremely disappointed with. I did not want to take the risk of being disappointed with my new RV. I simply did not feel comfortable with the available information on the four cylinder. Regards, Joe

bobojay

We should know more after January with an actual Class B Sprinter motorhome with fully loaded tanks on the road long range if the Neundorfers are driving from Ohio to Florida and back. I still haven't heard of any major Class B converter's plan for the 4 cylinder Sprinter other than Advanced RV.

http://www.advanced-rv.com/advanced-rv-founders-attending-florida-rv-supershow-2014/
Here's a January trip for you to get away from the cold & snow, and talk to the man himself...

As a sidenote, I bet GWV and LTV at least do the 4cyl also pretty quick

TooMuchHair

I'm with you Andiamo! :thumbup: We all have different goals and ideas that drive us toward this Sprinter RV experience. I look forward to the actual driving/traveling aspect of being on the road even more than the camping. My guess is that the 4 will be fine most of the time, i.e. as far as Advanced RV driving from OH to FL, my bet is they are going to love it. This trip includes some hills but no hard, long pulls as experienced out west. And as far as that goes we all know the 4 will be OK doing any climb in North America, but for me I just don't like being in that "tapped out zone" of engine power any more than I have to. So for now I will be waiting for an announcement from MB saying the 7 speed will be available behind the V6 for 2015. (any rumors?)

Top Bottom