Living With My New Advanced RV

Davydd

We rarely use our awning (maybe once in 30 days) but I don't think I would be interested in LED lighting. I've been carrying a chili pepper decorative light string for a while now and have yet had the opportunity to use it. I also have a string of bees to use for a BEE Social if I ever get the chance.

bobojay

Just found your thread. Beautiful van you have there and love your interior wood selections. Will be watching for updates as they come along.

Diamondsea

I have been living with "Peanut" for a month or so now. The initial trip from the factory to my home was over back roads through West Virginia to help the engine break in with varying speeds and not constant high speed interstate highways. I have taken short local trips to get to know the RV. I now have well over 1,300 miles and consider the engine broken in. According to the vehicle computer I am getting between 18 and 19 MPG which is in line with what many others report on this forum. At 60 MPH the tach is exactly at 2200 RPM. I think this equals a rear end ratio of just over 4 to 1 -- some of you probably know this better than I. Comments?

I have started a two week trip down into the Great Smokey Mountain area to meet friends for some exploring /camping. I am starting with a bit of a detour, however, as I am first at the AdvancedRV factory in Ohio. Peanut is getting some up-grades that Advanced is putting on new production. These were discussed when I took delivery but I felt that I should shake down the van first. Also there are a couple of warranty items including a roof seam leak adjacent to the A/C unit, modifications to front black out curtains, and installing a better latch on the swing out TV cabinet. Up-grades being done include an improved galley sink faucet, revised storage for the removable table, extended tire valve stems on the duel rear wheels, and a switch to power the dash radio from the house batteries. Computer software is also be upgraded for better control of shore power charging the chassis battery if such should run down. Don't ask, but I did it! All this is being done at no cost to me.

At the factory some 2014 chassis have arrived but they still have 2013s. Several RVs are under construction including some with interesting custom features. One has a large built in dog cage under the aft end of each of raised up twin beds with appropriate removable (for cleaning) "flooring" in each cage!

bobojay

When you're at the factory, ask if they are building any of the '14 Sprinters with the new 4 cyl engine.....early reports from new owners on this forum are very happy with the new 4 cyl/7 spd trans setup.
Mid 20's for mileage with the 3500 high roof

pattonsr

Could you take a picture of the twins with dog crates. I am curious what they look like.

Also are the extended tire valve stems on the rear duals a one piece bent metal design like Borg/Tire Man or are they extenders using the original valves?

pattonsr

It would be nice if the Advanced RV website had a custom features section. The interesting features that make the Advanced RV unique are barely mentioned. When they changed over to a Danfoss compressor fridge (Nova Kool RFU6800) the only clue on the website was that the fridge is now 12V.

Diamondsea

To answer a couple of questions: The extended tire valves for the duel rear wheels are the rigid metal type fixed to the wheel; they are not extensions of the existing. Here at the factory they are building an RV on the 4-cylinder 2014 chassis. This unit will be complete and shown at the Tampa, FL show in January.

pattonsr

I see that the Advanced RV website got updated with news on the compressor fridge and owner specified features such as dog crates.

Davydd

The dog crate pictures newer than previously published are here...

http://www.advanced-rv.com/advanced-rv-2014-models/

We now know that besides DiamondSea's B there are at least two others going out the door. There is a mobile doctor's B featured as well.

Compressor refrigerators were confirmed here...

http://www.advanced-rv.com/why-adva...-07&utm_campaign=Nov+07+2013&utm_medium=email

The other thing to note is they are building off the 4 cylinder diesel but every B is your choice. Figure about 6 months for them to order the Sprinter you specifically want and then outfit it.

bobojay

Love that fridge setup. Lets see DavyDD, six months, humm. That means B rally time in Indiana for you..... :)

pattonsr

As far as I know, only the Airstream Interstate has a compressor fridge but it is a small unit under the counter which is hard to access. Advanced RV put in a large unit with the freezer on the bottom. This makes for easy to reach refrigerator items and rock hard ice cream in the freezer (even when the outside temps go over 90 degrees). And no more worrying about how level the rig is so the absorption refrigerator will work properly.

If one chooses the induction cooktop, then a propane tank is not needed unless one wants to use propane for an outside bbq, etc.

Davydd

I have an outside BBQ connection on my Great West Van Legend. I even went to the trouble to buy myself a 12 ft. hose to hook up the Coleman grill. However, I've only used it once and now just keep it in reserve. The little propane bottles you can buy everywhere are just more convenient.

Bobojay, doubtful at this time. For May that is. ;) I want to know more about how those 4 cylinder diesels perform as a B. If they are satisfactory it appears the mileage reports are fantastic and better than the earlier Sprinters. Getting back to the 500-600 mile driving range per fill would be great. Also, I haven't resolved the debate in my head yet if I want an extended body van.

Diamondsea

I left the Advanced RV facility early today (Friday) having been there since late Monday. In the three days -- Tuesday through Thursday -- I received several up-grades and had very minor warranty work done. I am in the middle of Ohio at a small town Walmart dry camping. Outside temperature is right at 30 degrees and inside it is about 70. The diesel fired Espar glycol heating system is doing the job. Just ate some ice cream that came out of the great NovaKool fridge/freezer hard as a rock as the temperature in the freezer shows 6 degrees. Dinner included some soup heated up in just 3 minutes on the induction stove!

bobojay

I left the Advanced RV facility early today (Friday) having been there since late Monday. In the three days -- Tuesday through Thursday -- I received several up-grades and had very minor warranty work done. I am in the middle of Ohio at a small town Walmart dry camping. Outside temperature is right at 30 degrees and inside it is about 70. The diesel fired Espar glycol heating system is doing the job. Just ate some ice cream that came out of the great NovaKool fridge/freezer hard as a rock as the temperature in the freezer shows 6 degrees. Dinner included some soup heated up in just 3 minutes on the induction stove!
Nice!

Diamondsea

My induction cooker is a one "burner" portable. When in use it sits on the counter and plugs into a 120 VAC (inverter or shore power) outlet located at the aft end of the counter just below the counter top. The cord is long enough so that it can be moved to any part of the counter aft of the sink. After use it cools down in just about 5 minutes. Immediately below the aft end of the counter is a drawer specially sized for storing the unit freeing up the counter for other uses. It is a Burton Max.

bobojay

I like the idea of the portable cooktop. Enables even more counter space.....and allows outside cooking if needed with just a plug available

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
But you need to find cookware that is compatible. Most cookware to be light is made of aluminum, which is non-magnetic. Recently in BB&B and see they are starting to show induction compatibility on their labels, but it wasn't so when I bought. Ended up getting mine from Amazon: Natural Home 9pc Nesting cookware. It's a perfect fit for an RV as it all stacks together with handles going inside of handles. Potentially a good cast iron pan for those things that require that style of cooking. I do plan on getting an inverter and though the cooktop can heat a pan quickly, it still is on too long to run it from my batteries. I mostly want the inverter to run my Keurig in the morning and the microwave at lunch. Seems a waste to crank up the genny to do those tasks when the batteries are charged from driving. For the cooktop I still will plug in or use the generator.

-Randy

pattonsr

Diamondsea,

Do you have Alcoa wheels? If so does the inner dual extender come out into a rubber oval grommet in the Alcoa wheel?

Barry

Top Bottom