Leaky Slide out and squeaking noise..like a bird...

Custommm

]Hi Everyone
Brand new owner and new RVer of a 2014 Unity Murphy bed.... put 17 000Km on it and have some question a cant find answer for....

1-My Unity sign more and more, a noise like a bird signing. On good road is not that present but on uneven pavement it's very annoying….
i manage to go seek advice on a Mercedes Dealership who, after complete invertigation, found the soure of the issue.. it's coming from where the Leisure cab meet the Mercedes Chassis (see pictures)
A big guy have manage to reproduce the noise at will by shaking the fiberglass cab over both driver/passenger window…

Have someone experience that kind of squeaking noise?
Is it fixable?

2- I have been experiencing a small leak from my slideout (leaks only when the slideout is being moved in or out. perfectly leak-free when completely retracted or out)
My wife have pinpoint something different on each side of the slideout box….

Just on one side, the external rubber called weeper or wiper do not contact the side of the slideout wall… allowing the water to rush in….

i made a video http://youtu.be/6bWGfNayYHE
And dont mind my accent ,please :smilewink:

Do you guys have gap like this one on your unity?

thanks for the help !

Last edited:

aljimenez

'13 LTV Serenity on '12 3
I am not surprised your slide out has these gaps; I'd be surprised if any RV slide out has no gaps after repeated use. You might get it fixed, but don't expect it to remain gapless for the long haul. I avoid buying RV's with slide-outs, and I realize I am in the minority on this.

As for the singing at the junction of the cab and house, that I do not expect so you should get this corrected by the LTV factory warranty and not Mercedes. I sure hope my Serenity will not pop up with this defect any time soon; it hasn't after 6,000+ miles... Al

Custommm

Thanks Aljimenez
and Replying to Jackfish, I went to the factory and they push me to Mercedes Dealership because they have been enable locate to noise and they was under the impression that it maybe coming from the A pillar...
Mercedes dealership was able to put their finger on the source....

I wonder how LTV can fix that kind of noise!

tdew

I have the same issue with our 2013 Unity MB. The MB dealership pinpointed the squeak as coming from the area where the fiberglass LTV top above the driver meets the MB steel cab top. It is only an issue on rough roads and in cooler weather. When it warms up above 70 or so it goes away so I suspect it has something to do with the fiberglass expanding in the heat and stopping the squeak. I talked to Brad at LTV and he said to take it to our dealership in Portland but to be honest I really can't see what could be done?? If others are having this issue I would be interested to hear. In the mean time we are 5,000 miles into a two month trip around the US and the Unity in preforming wonderfully! Did have one small issue in New Hampshire recently though....seems the driver forgot to take the end cap off the end of the macerater hose and turned on the pump. Needless to say it blew the hose off the end piece and created a MESS! Won't make that mistake again! One other small issue. We had had a rattle coming from the MB, or so I thought. Turned out it was from the metal brackets that hold the pictures on the wall of the MB. I picked up some thicker foam weather stripping and put one piece on each side to take up the slack in the metal brackets and it stopped the rattle. Simple fix!

Custommm

tdew: Good to hear.... I was having the same issue with the pictures frame on the MB wall.... but being in the factory area , they put thicker rubber and now it's very nice...The TV Top..(the Corian countertop) make contact on rough surface making noise too... i've tried many things (sticky rubber and alike ) but nothing hold there... Ill try a lil patch of Flextra/Caulking material next time.
The Macerator hose that blew off... make us LOL here!

If you have time , check if you have the "gap" around the slideout...
Brad was suppose to call us back , it's REALLY not in a hurry!

avid

Saphira's rider
The TV Top..(the Corian countertop) make contact on rough surface making noise too... i've tried many things (sticky rubber and alike ) but nothing hold there... Ill try a lil patch of Flextra/Caulking material next time.
Be very, very careful about what you use with Corian. Great stuff, and very expensive so use caution before applying anything to it.

jackfish

Thanks Aljimenez
and Replying to Jackfish, I went to the factory and they push me to Mercedes Dealership because they have been enable locate to noise and they was under the impression that it maybe coming from the A pillar...
Mercedes dealership was able to put their finger on the source....

I wonder how LTV can fix that kind of noise!
How was I supposed to know that? You didn't say that in your original post. Mercedes located the source of the noise as coming from the interface of the cabover that LTV installed with the cab that Mercedes manuafactured. I don't see what Mercedes can be expected to do about it when it is caused by a Leisure Travel Vans aftermarket conversion on the Mercedes cab chassis Sprinter 3500. If anybody is "responsible" for a remedy it would seem to me to be LTV. Hopefully you can find resolution to your problems, I wish you well!

Custommm

i agree with you, i wonder how LTV can fix that....
Thanks to Mercedes for pinpointing the origin of the noise.
Im under the impression that i'll have to live with bird chirping on rough road...

The gap on my slideout is more of a concern though

How was I supposed to know that? You didn't say that in your original post. Mercedes located the source of the noise as coming from the interface of the cabover that LTV installed with the cab that Mercedes manuafactured. I don't see what Mercedes can be expected to do about it when it is caused by a Leisure Travel Vans aftermarket conversion on the Mercedes cab chassis Sprinter 3500. If anybody is "responsible" for a remedy it would seem to me to be LTV. Hopefully you can find resolution to your problems, I wish you well!

tdew

After my dealership replaced the slide out mechanism there was a gap at the bottom of the slide out when it was in. I took it back and the dealership, working with the folks who make the slide out mechanism for LTV they finally got it adjusted correctly. They also found that about half of the screws in the mechanism had been left out. I suspect that happened when they replaced the mechanism earlier. The slide out seems to be working fine now.

mumkin

Very funny... but you need to size that down a bit... I have a big laptop and it certainly broke my margins. :)

tdew

Just got a response back from Brad at LTV and he said that their test driver had experienced the squeaks in both the slide out and the area above the driver where the fiberglass coach meets the steel MB cab but that they had not identified any fix for the problem.

Custommm

Just got a response back from Brad at LTV and he said that their test driver had experienced the squeaks in both the slide out and the area above the driver where the fiberglass coach meets the steel MB cab but that they had not identified any fix for the problem.
Well.... kinda sad.
let's see if something come up later....

Top Bottom