First service, fair price or ripped off?

Hundhaus

Hi guys. I had my first service done at 10k . The total bill was $503.82.

Here is what I was told was done Service A with AD-blue $230.00
Mobil 1 esp $8.42 $109.46
Windshield washer fluid $5.08
Ring General Metal $3.08
TS filter insert $24.00
5 000-583-01-07 AD-Blue $15.39 $76.90

Hazardous waste for repair order $22.42

For a toltal w tax of $503.82

Here is where I have an issue, I added 5 Gallons of ADBlue myself at 8k so someone is not being truthful here. I was told that they perform a rear leaf spring adjustment as part of the A service and without the adjustment I would be at risk of breaking a rear spring. I was also told that when ADBLUE was added it was necessary to adjust the sensors in the ADBLUE tank?
AM I being bull-Sed here?

I just finished a FULL nut and bolt restoration of my 68 AMX so I am not mechanically disadvantaged. I am just new to the Sprinter and wanted to make sure I stay within my warranty specs for service intervals and the true requirements. I just got the survey from MB for the service and I am waiting to return it till after I get feedback from you guys. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

sailquik

Was this an authorized Mercedes Benz Sprinter dealer?
Do they have a commercial rate or only the sport sedan/SUV/sports car rate?
Everything looks about right except the cost for DEF replenishment....5 gallons @ $15.39/gallon is awfully steep,
and the tank only holds about 5.8 gallons Cargo Sprinter (check your owners and maintenance manuals to determine your DEF tank configuration and capacity), so if you put in 4 gallons of Blue DEF (how many miles ago?) it should have only needed a gallon or 2 to refill it.
As far as re-torqing the rear axle U clamp/spring perch bolts, that is something you can check yourself, but they should have done it at the first "A" service, and it should be reflected in your billing.
Everything they do to your Sprinter should be stated on your service invoice, and I believe these are collected and stored somewhere on a data base @ MB Sprinter USA or at the factory in Germany.
If you request any sort of warranty claim, the MB Sprinter USA engineering group seem to be able to come up with all the service records for a particular Sprinter pretty easily.
This is another reason why I think it's wiser to not do DIY repairs/service or any sort of modifications if you wish to keep your warranty in full effect for the full agreed upon time frames.
Roger

lindenengineering

Hundhaus
I second Sailquick's post and the Ad blue seems a bit high!
Did you query that line item billing with accounts when you paid?

Sometimes what starts as a fixed shop cost gets all twisted about and don't expect the billing gal to know things technical.

As a point we fixed the back end of a TIN last week. I had a rough estimate in my head of what the job cost.
The pretty one in the back office did all the billing and account resolution, customer went away happy. Bon voyage !
Last Monday I asked just casually what did the bill come to on that Sprinter? Found out it was just shy of $2000.:hmmm:

I then asked myself seems a bit bloody high! Let's pull the job card/billing!

A bit of scrutiny and the Quickbooks billing system had taken input, 2 tires @ $413 c/w mount and balance and doubled it simply because there were two inputted into the multiple column.
The pretty one in the back office billing would never have picked it up, nor did the customer for that matter!

A quick phone call explaining the situation; and since the customer was still in town, he elected for the 400 odd bucks to be handed to him in green money. We could easily have done a refund on his CC, BUT I suppose having the cash in hand for his homeward trip plus a friendly account review on his behalf made him feel a valued customer--which of course he was.

It doesn't hurt to check the billing, on anything for that matter. Medical billing seems to be the worst, in those areas you often have to hire an expert to sort out the jargon/mumbo jumbo. Thank God you don't need to do that when getting your car fixed.
Simply call them for an explanation of the charges. Mistakes happen 'cos we are 'umans
Dennis

pfflyer

Thanks Dennis. Peachstate Freightliner did the same to me and but it was a $1200 error. I walked out not happy but satisfied thinking they found more that was wrong it was an estimate after all. Service manager called me the next day and stood by his original estimate. I had a list of other things done but the main reason was for the rear end too. Wish all shops were honest and value repeat business. It looks like the MB dealer I bought the new one from is going to be a good one, only time will tell.

Last edited:

T.J.T

Service A for me was quoted 450 and B around 900. so that looks pretty normal. I dont have a Ad-Blue so I cant comment on that

JN3n

10k Service quoted at my dealer for 2012 MBZ Sprinter was $ 250. . That was full retail.

sailquik

Hundhaus,
Western Northern New Jersey or Eastern?

How far are you from Mechanicsburg, PA?
Sun Motor Cars Sprinter has a brand new Sprinter specific service facility and some of the best Sprinter techs around with all the right tools
and diagnostic equipment.
They do have a commercial rate for Sprinter service.
I was just in a Flying J/Pilot truck stop last night, and they sell a 2.5 gallon Blue DEF Kit for $13.95.
$15.39 per gallon is really a bit over the top.
Next time ask to watch them fill the DEF if you are going to fill it between services, or at least tell them how much you have added and that it will only
hold another gallon or 2 at their inflated prices.
Roger

lindenengineering

Hundhaus,
Western Northern New Jersey or Eastern?

How far are you from Mechanicsburg, PA?
Sun Motor Cars Sprinter has a brand new Sprinter specific service facility and some of the best Sprinter techs around with all the right tools
and diagnostic equipment.
They do have a commercial rate for Sprinter service.
I was just in a Flying J/Pilot truck stop last night, and they sell a 2.5 gallon Blue DEF Kit for $13.95.
$15.39 per gallon is really a bit over the top.
Next time ask to watch them fill the DEF if you are going to fill it between services, or at least tell them how much you have added and that it will only
hold another gallon or 2 at their inflated prices.
Roger
Roger
Reading your post reminds me of a 2008 CRD which came to us two weeks ago. It had been serviced in Las Vegas.

Its the van we called---Would you like DEF with that Sir--Menu pricing like Mc D's ---Big gulp or super size ? laughing:

The cooling system was filled with def fluid, and lifting the expansion tank cap was like taking a whiff of smelling salts--like after being knocked senseless playing rugby that is! :hmmm:

Sinced the transmission was shifting erractically we dipped it to find it milky--So we dropped it (fluid that is ) and got the smell of YES--DEF fluid!! :laughing:

We did check the rear axle, but who ever did it didn't disturb the level plug so no def in that 'un!:thumbup:

We weren't too sure about the engine oil it had a "Def like smell "so it got changed as well--Just to be on the safe side!

The rig trundled away hot footing it Chicago with a lot of "tunk a plunking" guitar types in the back. Last time I did a follow up it was in Florida (St Pete)
So it just goes to show just how sturdy these beast are!--almost as tough as a Kamaz!:thumbup:
Dennis

pfflyer

The rig trundled away hot footing it Chicago with a lot of "tunk a plunking" guitar types in the back. Last time I did a follow up it was in Florida (St Pete)
So it just goes to show just how sturdy these beast are!--almost as tough as a Kamaz!:thumbup:
Dennis[/QUOTE]

Was it serviced by another garage before you or was it serviced by the owner. Did the inside of the van smell funny as well?:shhh:

sailquik

Dennis,
Good one!
You get the gold star for "DEF" stories.
I thought I'd heard it all when we were trying to tell someone how to get the DEF out of the cooling system.
They had pulled the cap off the round coolant reservoir and put the DEF in there instead of through the DEF
fill pipe with the clearly marked screw cap.
A dealer did this?
Unbelievable.....in the trans fill....they had to break off the sealed cap to do that...right?
Yes.....sir.... I'll have the super size please!
Almost as tough as a Kamaz?.....maybe when we get the 4x4's in 2015.
Roger

lindenengineering

Dennis
Was it serviced by another garage before you or was it serviced by the owner. Did the inside of the van smell funny as well?:shhh:[/QUOTE]

NO
Done by a shop in Las Vegas.
As for the smell in the back, it was very-----Hmm
"earthy" like POT and I bet the stupid bugger doing the service was buzzed as well on the same stuff!

Actually I have a distinct feeling that the tranny level tube cap was off when they filled the cooling expansion tank and careless filling had it running around the globe like tank straight into the tube. My theory anyway!:hmmm:
Dennis

Tom9054

ok, dumb question of the day, and yes I have searched a bit....what does CRD stand for? Never mind

Last edited:

pfflyer

NO
Done by a shop in Las Vegas.
As for the smell in the back, it was very-----Hmm
"earthy" like POT and I bet the stupid bugger doing the service was buzzed as well on the same stuff!

Maybe they traded some weed for mechanic services or he got buzzed from residuals when he drove it in the garage.

sailquik

Tom9054,
CRD is the abbreviation for "Common Rail Diesel".
Older diesels did not pressurize the fuel very much in the supply to the injectors.
The injectors jacked up the pressure to get it into the cylinders on top of the compression pressure
already there.
Common rail diesels put extremely high pressure on the entire fuel rail that feeds all the injectors, and
the injectors (piezo electronic) are simply very special "valves" that can meter the fuel thousands of times
a minute. The tip of the injector has very special "ports" to spray the fuel in very specific patterns inside the
cylinder.
This is why it is very unwise to ever try to "bleed" the fuel injectors in a Sprinter.
Just turning the engine over on the starter the rail pressure can exceed 3,000 PSIG.
When running, the rail is under 20,000 PSI and greater pressure.
A pin hole leak at that pressure can easily cut your arm off.
Very dangerous!
Hope this helps,
Roger

Last edited:

Hundhaus

So here is the email I sent to the dealer

"To the Sprinter service Manager.....
I don't have time to call you right now(crazy day before vacation) but before I fill out the survey I want to straighten something out on my Service invoice. I had told you that I added 4 gallons of AD-blue prior to my service appt. You told me I would only be charged for what was added. SO unless I have a 10 gallon DEF tank there is no way I should have been charged for 5 gallons of AD-blue. I really don't want to be weary of bringing in my vehicle for service and wondering if I am getting what I had paid for. I have left other brands for this reason."

His reply

"      The units are billed in half gallons so it is only 2.5 gallons that they put in and you have a 6 gallon tank plus the lines that go from the tank under the pass side to the front of the vehicle".

So to sum it up I paid over $30 per gallon of DEF :yell: I will be filling it myself before the service next time. I knew they f Ed me somewhere.

I am on the NJ/NY border 20 min outside NYC

Ratdog

My 10000 service cost $208.62. I had it done where I bought the Sprinter. That is Neely Coble Freightliner in Nashville, TN. They have a separate shop for Sprinters, apart from the big truck service area.

I've heard from other Sprinter owners that the costs will vary depending on what part of the country you are in. Most authorized shops have standard service fees and I always ask for a quote before I let anyone touch it.

I'm due the 20000 service this week and I know it will be more because of the fuel filter change. I believe they told me it would be about $325 or so for the 20000 service.

I agree with the others about the cost of Blue DEF. You can get it at the pump at most truck stops for less than $3 a gallon.

Dan Holm

My rig, a NCV3 Diesel on 2007 chassis requires fuel filter change at 10K. The new units are 20K? What changed? If the service in question included that, I can't image the cost! Dealer filter cost alone is $90. At least I don't have the DEF.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
My rig, a NCV3 Diesel on 2007 chassis requires fuel filter change at 10K. The new units are 20K? What changed? If the service in question included that, I can't image the cost! Dealer filter cost alone is $90. At least I don't have the DEF.
If memory serves, the service interval for the fuel filter hopped up and down during the first few NCV3 years (us T1N folks get 30,000 miles on a fuel filter :thumbup: ).

Check your maintenance manual for the originally-specified service interval, and ask a knowledgeable dealer for the current recommendations for your year.

--dick

Dan Holm

Maintenance manual calls for 10K. Dealer tech mentioned discussion at MB tech training sessions considered 10K was too frequent. I still keep it at 10K. Tech also suggested 60K trans fluid change was not often enough and suggests 30K, which I have done. I am suspecting, given the weight of motorhome, more frequent trans fluid changes are appropriate.

Top Bottom