Wheel bolts

Aqua Puttana

Poly - Thread Finder
... Glad I didn't get a flat and need to do this on the road or worse yet in the outback. My Sprinter is 2019 2500 4x4.
Our required annual safety/emissions inspections require removing at least one wheel. Any time that I know a shop has removed/re-installed a wheel I always take the time to loosen and re-torque all of the wheel fasteners. For just the reasons that you mention.

:2cents: vic

4wheeldog

2018 144" Tall Revel
Just switched factory-installed winter wheels with a new set of uplifter take off wheels. Both sets steel so I didn't have the lug bolt problem, but I did break the stock lug wrench. The wheels where torqued so tight that I needed a 3' breaker bar to loosen them. Only got 3 lugs loose before the wrench broke. Then cracked two of my own sockets. Sprinter SOS sent a tow truck. They had no problem removing the lugs but said they needed 400 foot pounds to remove. Had them loosen all the lugs and tightened to just 150 fp instead of the spec 177fp. Now I have put my own torque wrench in the van and ordered a breaker bar and impact sockets to carry. Glad I didn't get a flat and need to do this on the road or worse yet in the outback. My Sprinter is 2019 2500 4x4.
After my van had its one (And likely only) service at the MB dealership, I could not break the lugs loose with a 3' wrench and socket.
So I now carry a 42", 1" drive breaker bar, with the appropriate socket. I also carry a torque wrench set to 150fp. I recheck them with some regularity, since it is a bit less than spec.

Bobnoxious

Learning about Sprinters to help others
Just switched factory-installed winter wheels with a new set of uplifter take off wheels. Both sets steel so I didn't have the lug bolt problem, but I did break the stock lug wrench. The wheels where torqued so tight that I needed a 3' breaker bar to loosen them. Only got 3 lugs loose before the wrench broke. Then cracked two of my own sockets. Sprinter SOS sent a tow truck. They had no problem removing the lugs but said they needed 400 foot pounds to remove. Had them loosen all the lugs and tightened to just 150 fp instead of the spec 177fp. Now I have put my own torque wrench in the van and ordered a breaker bar and impact sockets to carry. Glad I didn't get a flat and need to do this on the road or worse yet in the outback. My Sprinter is 2019 2500 4x4.
I dunno, have the lug bolts been over stressed?

marklg

I have an impact wrench to remove the bolts and a torque wrench to install them. Combo works great so far. An impact wrench like this one:

will save your knuckles! As posted before, no idea why I waited 45 years to get one.

Regards,

Mark

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
...I also carry a torque wrench set to 150fp.
It is bad practice to leave a torque wrench set to a high figure, over time the spring goes weak. You should always set it near the lowest figure before storing. (Unless you have a digital wrench that is).

Keith.

brassarl

2006 T1N 2500 Long & Tall
Can't help with the steel wheel bolts as I only have alloys, but the MB OEM Alloy wheel bolts are:-

Length under spherical seat - 53mm
Thread length - 24mm
Plain shaft length - 29mm
I just purchased 5 steel rim bolts today, under $50.
Here's a photo of both, alloy wheels.... long bolt, short bolt for steel wheels

Thanks for pointing this out.

Lou

Attachments

Top Bottom