roof load/satellite antenna installation

divevan

does anyone know where to get information on permissible load for the roof installations? i'm trying to find out if i need to install any internal braces if i want to mount an 80lb (1ft round base, folding style, so there may be some torquing forces involved) satellite antenna on my van? i'm planning on installing it in the front half of the vehicle where round shape is on the roof.

thank you.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Low roof = 600lbs
High roof = 300lbs

I believe the load is spread out, but by how much I don't know.

BULBASOR

OHHH OHHH! You need to talk to TVSPRINTER - He has the biggest satelite dish on his Sprinter that I have ever seen!

gtholden

2005 T1N, 140WB, Low Roof Passenger, ~163K Miles
Sikwan,
I've always wondered if those load ratings were on the rain gutters or on the roof itself? I'm wondering if I could walk on the roof of the van. I weigh about 150lbs.

BULBASOR

I go on the roof of BULBASOR all the time, but I do not walk on him. I sit on my butt, or lay on my belly, or slide on the side of my butt with my legs to the side to prevent any damage to the roof. I was just up there last week putting a thick coat of wax on the roof before making a dirty dusty trip to the Salton Sea and Anza Borrego Desert.

BaywoodBill

pre-Yuppiedom
I think it was on the Yahoo! Sprinter list that I read of someone who had seams in their roof opened by having workmen on the roof. It leaked. :thumbdown:

TV Sprinter

TV Sprinter here.

I have a 300lb antenna on the rear roof, mounted to a 2X2 square plate. There is structural reinforcement under the antenna. I also have 2 roof top units that weigh a total of 90lbs mounted directly to the roof. There is also a deck that is clamped to the rain gutters, weighing approx. 200lbs.

80lbs in my semi-professional opinion when it comes to coach-building, would require some sort of sub-structure added to the roof to distribute weight.

What model VSAT do you want to put up there?

BULBASOR

It's tue bill, you need to inspect your seams regularly. I always have small rust areas show up in some of the seams. About a total of 4 inches of rust on one seam and about one inch on a rear seam. I sand them out, fill them and re-paint. The roof is not really designed to walk on.

The TV Sprinter is probably an expert on roof stuff. (Look at him!)

divevan

thank you everybody. i'm getting SK-1000 winegard antenna. the spec is 45lb, but the guy at the camping world said i need to confirm with the manufacturer that i can put 80lb of weight over a 1ft area. good luck confirming with manufacturer :). anyway, i read body builders guide for my 158" high roof 2500 and the only info i found was the same as posted above 300lb - roof rack, spread over the length of the gutter.

reinforcing the roof from the inside of the van would be difficult since i had blown in insulation and plywood followed by spray on bedliner installed.

TV Sprinter

The antenna is 45lbs - so it's the same as one of my AC units (again I have 2).

There's a big difference between 45lbs and 80... are they referring to wind loading?? (roof rating with wind applied to reflector/dish)

I just took a look at the unit... To be safe, I'd mount it to an aluminum plate that's 2X2, then mount the entire assembly to the roof. Distribute the weight over larger area.

Real world - with a plate underneath, this will be safe setup. I wouldn't mount it without extra support.

divevan

argh. ended up giving up on installing antenna. apparently without some serious reinforcement the roof won't be able to hold it. may be one day when i have a roof rack :).

unik

Sikwan,
I've always wondered if those load ratings were on the rain gutters or on the roof itself? I'm wondering if I could walk on the roof of the van. I weigh about 150lbs.
I used to walk on a roof during roof coating, but only steping on sides avoiding step into a midle line.
I weigh 65kg
Steping on a roof with 2 foot is not good. With a sanding preparation for painting I did use knees and hands too. So my weigh was spred at least on 4 places

Last edited:

Top Bottom