2010 3500 RV build

d_bertko

I managed a little tweak to my Espar install.

My d2 draws its interior air supply through my well-vented inverter cabinet. That helps accomplish separation of intake/output with minimum hose length.

But my real purpose was to be able to provide extra ventilation for the 2000w inverter during hot conditions. I just run the d2 on "fan only" setting.

No biggee, just a little synergy from my layout.

D2 is just beyond the fuel tank to minimize piping. Installer (Just $250!) didn't even drop the tank.

Dan

Attachments

hein

Van Guru
But my real purpose was to be able to provide extra ventilation for the 2000w inverter during hot conditions. I just run the d2 on "fan only" setting.
Dan
Brilliant!

Alas, my inverter is on the other side of the van. I might enclose my freshwater tank underneath and either blow warm air in or draw cabin air through it.

Last edited:

d_bertko

Brilliant!

Alas, my inverter is on the other side of the van. I might enclose my freshwater tank underneath and either blow warm air in or draw cabin air through it.
Excellent idea---sounds like a more important design goal than my tweak.

hein

Van Guru
Not even finished and already making updates...

Can't really watch TV very well with a strap across the front of it.
Old system:

Introducing TV keepers. ABS angle brackets mount to TV frame with VHB tape. Straps attached to the wall thread through slots and are gently tightened to hold the TV against the wall.

One of these on each side.

below. Bracket on TV frame with the strap threaded through. Other end of strap is secured to an arm mounting bolt. For the other strap (above), 2 sheet metal screws went into to the van chassis. Quite secure but obviously not crash tested or rated.

Now I can sit on the couch or stand at the galley and watch TV without removing the straps. Or take them loose for full articulated swivel positioning freedom.

I made an extra set if anyone wants to try 'em. They're freebies.

Edit:
My daughter's boyfriend went to AM Solar to pick up two 105W panels for me. If measurements are correct, two of these will fit side by side between the vent and air conditioner.

Last edited:

hein

Van Guru
We build 'ginger' bread houses as a family activity during the Holidays. They are actually graham crackers assembled with hot glue and then frosted with a hardening inedible meringue icing. See if you can pick mine out. ha ha.

build pics:

Passenger's side. Lettering by my Daughter.

Other options:
Gummy Bear mirrors
M&M Solar Panels
Peppermint wheels with Red Vines tires
White frosting paint
Liquorice trim
Jelly bean headlights
M&M Mercedes emblems

Last edited:

hein

Van Guru
Starting to make walls for my bathroom. The outer wall is the first wall panel I machined directly from my CAD model so nice to get some verification of the accuracy of the 3D data. This is a curved panel so I use a flatten quilt operation in CAD to un-develop it into a flat part. It had to butt up to the existing panels and also have cut outs for the rear door hardware and a refrigerator mounting bracket. So cutting just this one panel has nailed down a number of things in CAD.

I traced the ceiling and rear pillar pieces from the existing panels and cut those with a jigsaw. I can make much smoother curves/cuts with CAD/CNC so I'll probably redo the pillar cover to improve the fit. Next up is to design/CNC the bathroom pan/floor and the inside walls with a door.

I used the push pins to attach the bottom of the wall panel and counter sunk the heads into the material a little. I'll have to pop them out and seal with a dab of silicon caulk before I take a shower.

Last edited:

hein

Van Guru
Put up some Christmas lights today. -and a little wreath for the van.

I've almost stopped using the sliding door especially when it's cold and/or rainy. Instead, I go in/out of the van through the back. We make grab handles for kiteboards so I used some VHB tape to stick one on the inside of the right hand door. Easier to close behind me as I go in and I can use it going out as well. If you want one, call North Shore Inc in Hood River and ask for a handle with VHB tape on it. Make sure the surface is clean and warm and let the VHB 'set' for 24 hours. Or run some screws through.

Last edited:

hein

Van Guru
I need to make some holes in the floor to run wires and plumbing. The factory pass through with the rubber sock and zip tie closure is neat because you can easily add more wires later. Scrounging at HomeDepot turned up a deep cup bar sink strainer. A little cutting, de-burring and a chunk of bike inner tube lead to this:

2" hole saw chucked up and ready.

hein

Van Guru
Had time to work on the Espar installation. My sheet metal guy couldn't make my custom flange part until after the new year. Decided to take a more practical approach by reworking a 4x10 to 4" round (iirc) vent box from Home Depot. I also got a cap for the 4" round end and plan to cut holes in the sides of the enclosure to run the intake, exhaust and the fuel line.

Inside. 'Sink strainer' wire/plumbing port is also installed and stuffed with some pipe insulation to keep the cold air out. Black plug/harness goes to the Digi-Max controller. Other lead is a 12V signal from the conventional thermostat in case I can use it to fire up the D2. Don't think that is possible, though.

Below. Outside from underneath. Slathered with sealant and will get undercoated. Probably stick the intake tube in that hole in the frame ahead of the sheet metal enclosure.

Last edited:

hein

Van Guru
It's cold outside (0-20F) but cozy inside the van. Espar install is not done so still using a ceramic heater and really appreciating the heated floor.

I cut some panels for the refrigerator doors. It doesn't come with them and they are expensive. The manual says they can be up to 3/16" thick but I was able to get 1/4" Celtec to fit by machining down the edge along the top and bottom. The sides actually fit better with the 1/4 thickness so the result is nice and flush. I glued a 1/16" thick layer of EVA foam under the panels to make sure they didn't rattle. panel drawing.pdf

Below. View from the back. We are happy how the grey Celtec matches the cab head liner and other factory interior parts. We don't need more shades of grey. Plan is to make cabinet doors and drawer faces the same color material. Back of electrical panel/chassis is on the lower right.

Next Picture. Electrical chassis bolted down and ready to have the wiring connected. It will be nice to have the floor heat on while I complete that task.

Last edited:

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
It is nice to get to the point when you can see the light at the end of a tunnel like in your project which is looking great. Measuring the progress by $ still locked in the stuff in the garage I have about $3K before asymptotically approaching the project’s end.

Cold weather is not good, I wish to be back in California or get back in the tall garage I had in the previous house.

George.

hein

Van Guru
Things are starting to take shape but there is a lot left to do....
  • Finish designing and then build galley, overhead, and wardrobe storage cabinets.
  • Install batteries and shore power connection (trays, cables, and components are ~done)
  • Fabricate and install black and grey water tanks. Tank layout is done but need to design tank support structure.
  • Install fresh water tank
  • Run fresh and waste water plumbing.
  • connect water heater to engine coolant circuit
  • Finish designing and build wet bath floor and walls. Install toilet,shower
  • complete Espar install
  • mount solar panels on roof and connect
  • ???

I did get some digitizing (measuring) done for the bathroom enclosure. I setup a vertical straight edge at the corner and measured back to the wall at 100mm increments. Then enter those points in CAD and create a curve through the array. Use that curve as a guide to make a smoother best fit curve that will be CNC'd. I'll CNC a template and then likely make some adjustments before running the final part.

CAD model is progressing nicely. Files add up to about 150M.
You can see the coordinate system and the points I just added.

Last edited:

hein

Van Guru
I submitted a request but won't hold my breath. Cool to look at what some of the Preferred Upfitters are doing/offering.

Edit:
I did get a response requesting that I sign and submit and nondisclosure agreement. Which I did. It basically states that I can't share the data with a third party. I can understand and will respect that. So hopefully I will get access to some interior sheet metal geometry.

Last edited:

Top Bottom