2010 3500 RV build

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
Re: 2010 3500 RV build (formerly painted seat pedestals)

I guess I should have read the data sheet so thanks for the heads up. I think it will be fine since it is on the inside of the van. -and there are 12 screws too. I just checked the bond and I can't peel the adhesive off the metal but I can peel it off the paint pretty easily.

I know a common problem with windshields comes from scratches that are created when the windshield is removed that are not later covered with some primer or the adhesive when the new windshield is installed. - leading to rust.

I'll paint over any remaining bare metal with some white spray paint. I'm glad to have the roof reinforced for the AC unit. The roof is pretty flimsy to begin with.
This is from 3M regarding moisture cured polyurethane adhesive. From page 4 http://solutions.3m.com/3MContentRe...assetId=1180609472314&blobAttribute=ImageFile

"Use of a primer is an extra step and cost and will depend on substrates and the final
end use. Using primer can improve the corrosion resistance of certain metals as well
as improve the durability of the bond when exposed to high humidity conditions.
For most applications high strength bonds on metal can be achieved without the use
of a primer. Pre-testing for adhesion is suggested to determine if a primer is needed.
The 3M™ Scotch-Weld™ Structural Adhesive Primer EC-1945 B/A works well for
most metals."

Even on a fresh steel surface there is a thin a layer of oxide formed almost immediately so any adhesive bonds to that layer which has good adhesion to steel. Corrosion issue is not critical in your application.

Good luck,

George.

hein

Van Guru

I finished prepping the roof opening by gluing the skin down to the frame. I used 1/4" thick ABS strips to fill the gap between the top of the frame and the inside of the roof. Slathered it up with the Window Weld and clamped it all in place. Things got a little messy with the glue, ha ha.

hein

Van Guru

I mounted a sub today. CNC'd a panel out of 3/4 thick expanded PVC (Celtec) and mounted a Radio Shack 10" sub I had laying around. I had to dig out one of my daughters hip-hop CDs for a test. I'll build some kind of closed cell foam enclosure for the back.

Warning! might be a little loud.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kyy8Cu3X5Qs

The interior wall panel will cover the speaker panel and I'll finish it off with a grill (same style I used on the ceiling speakers).

Note: Sub panels are available for sale. They are flush with the inner sheet metal so will not interfere with wall panels. Can make cut out to fit 8, 10 or 12" subs. Please PM me for details

Clearance with body skin ~1/4". Depth of the speaker is 3 15/16"

Last edited:

hein

Van Guru

I'm waiting for a condensate pump kit for my roof AC plus some other parts to convert it to a wall mounted thermostat. I painted the AC cover to 'match' the Sprinter body color. Color is Rustoleum Painters Touch Gloss White - it adheres to plastic. Key to spray paint is to apply enough for it to flow. Work across large surfaces in a line to maintain a wet zone. Then it will gloss. It took two cans.

Here is the AirExcel 9200 Btu Mach8 with the cover removed in case you are interested:

atulin

Here is the AirExcel 9200 Btu Mach8 with the cover removed in case you are interested:

It's really interesting how much smaller they have been able to make the fan on the new mach 8. I had a polar cub and the fan was 2 or 3 times that size.

mugget

Nice job on the sub. Giving me more good ideas...!

What is the theory with those (I am not an audio guy, never owned a car), do you need to seal the rear side of the sub to make it airtight? Won't the effect of the sub just go straight into the body skin and be audible to anyone outside? Or is it okay with all the vibration damping/CLD you've got installed?

hein

Van Guru
Last edited:

atulin

Nice job on the sub. Giving me more good ideas...!

What is the theory with those (I am not an audio guy, never owned a car), do you need to seal the rear side of the sub to make it airtight? Won't the effect of the sub just go straight into the body skin and be audible to anyone outside? Or is it okay with all the vibration damping/CLD you've got installed?
It depends on the type of music you listen to and how much power your amp has but I went with a sealed box for my 12in sub. On mine, the manufacturer provides a volume spec for if you're using a sealed or ported box. My sealed box is about 1 cubic ft internally and it's made from 3/4 MDF.

As for the campground, even my well insulated sprinter lets someone outside hear pretty well what I'm playing even at a reasonable volume. Placing a sub in the outside wall probably won't help that but the front speakers are already in the doors so it probably won't make that much difference

hein

Van Guru

I picked up some lightweight closed cell foam from a client who fabricates with EVA foams. It's called Minicell and is quite common and readily available in a variety of thicknesses. I used 4" thick material to shape some 2" wide bulkheads that span the void between the inner structure and the outer skin of the van. They are slightly (1/8") oversize so gently wedged in place with no further fastening.

I ran the bulkheads across the top and down the sides to fully enclose the speaker. Here is one of the inside corners:

Below is a shaped foam bulkhead. The inside is straight and the outside follows the body contour. The foam is flexible and somewhat compressible so you can bend it to get it in the right spot and then work it in place. Minicell is easy to cut with a hand saw and cuts very nicely with a band saw. You can also sand it with coarse grit.

Rough cutting Minicell. I used a band saw for final cuts.

Stuffed some 3M Thinsulate into my quick and easy sub enclosure. You can see the minicell bulkheads showing through the vertical slots in the body on both sides of the enclosure. I covered that and wrapped the outside corners with some Gorilla tape which sticks really well to the minicell.

[edit]
Decided to add a port for more efficiency. Sounds better.

Last edited:

hein

Van Guru

More uses for the minicell: Filling the corrugations in the floor. I do have a lot of beveled strips to cut but it goes quickly with a sharp carpet knife along a straight edge. Plan is to fill all the corrugations, put down a full layer of 1/4" thick minicell and then reinstall the floor w/o the asphalt pad they put under it from the factory. Or maybe replace the OEM floor with some 1/4 okoume plywood depending on how the thickness stacks up.

Charlie

2008 2500 170 Diesel

Dave,

You have seen the stuff before. The 2 kayaks on my van at this years Sprinterfest are made from Okoume.

Charlie

hein

Van Guru

I have some 6mm okoume left over from a stitch and glue boat I help build. I modeled the boat in 3D CAD, flattened (undeveloped) the panels and cut fourteen 4x8 sheets worth of pieces on the CNC. I think she's now fitted with a cabin and other fixings. During construction, it was held together with zip ties while the epoxy cured.

At this point I plan to reuse the OEM floor and just plug the 2 slots and 1 hole I don't need. I'll remove all the wood strips and factory matting off the underside and it will lay flat on a full layer of 1/4" thick minicell. I'll retain most of the factory cargo tie downs to re-secure it. Pretty much stock (including the elevation) except insul/isolated by the minicell foam and a coat of Rhinoliner.

Last edited:

hein

Van Guru

Espar D2 and all the fixings ordered from esparparts.com. Contemplating water heat...

Thinking I can fit a Isotemp Slim 15L under the hood. Might have flop the ecu over and down but looks promising. The heat source is nearby but I have no clue how to plumb it to the engine.

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR

Under the hood, in lieu of auxiliary battery, should be a very good place, out of elements and close to the heater core. I would assume it should be plumbed in line with MB heater core. The Slim 15 is very well insulated so it should keep heat for hours.

George.

rb3232

Espar D2 and all the fixings ordered from esparparts.com. Contemplating water heat...

Thinking I can fit a Isotemp Slim 15L under the hood. Might have flop the ecu over and down but looks promising. The heat source is nearby but I have no clue how to plumb it to the engine.

"Might have flop the ecu over and down" I have considered this also. Can anyone confirm that there are no issues with changing it's location? ( location with respect to it's orientation along it's 3 axis' vs the van)

Thanks, Ross

hein

Van Guru

I think the harnesses will allow it to be moved forward and down without changing the orientation.

rb3232

I think the harnesses will allow it to be moved forward and down without changing the orientation.

I can see that and I agree. What I don't know is if there is any requirement for it to be aligned with the body of the sprinter in any/all three planes. For sensors or whatever. Ross

hein

Van Guru

I was in a tinkering mood so I moved the ECU. I reused the OEM cradle secured with a bolt and some zip ties. To gain more space for the water heater, I removed the washer bottle and plan to move that to the other fender well. I've ordered a 2 1/2 gal. jug and hope to use it for the reservoir. I'll need a platform for it to sit on and I'll poke some holes for the OEM pump and level sensor.

Moved ECU

Follow up Note: This is not the final mounting for the ECU. Later on, I fabricated a steel mounting bracket that is much more secure and puts the ECU in a better position. -with no zip ties.

If a 5 gallon bucket fits:

Why wouldn't this?

Last edited:

Top Bottom