2010 3500 RV build

Jonnyfive

Hein - with the water heater installed under the hood, you must have long cold and hot water tube runs outside the vehicle.

How has this design held up in the winter, since you have water running outside the vehicle in long, exposed lengths?

Secondly, does it take some time for hot water to exit your faucet / shower head due to this long length of tube?

The alternative here is of course to minimize the length of water tube runs in exchange for coolant line length. This seems to offer little drawback other than damage to the line being more cautostrophic, which should be able to be mitigated by proper routing.

Jonnyfive

One other question regarding the water heater.

It seems most people that install these hook into the coolant lines in parallel. Any idea what the MB recommendation is? It would seem more logical to connect it in series, but I may be overlooking some reason?

PNW Overlander

Heading to my grandson's Birthday party in Colorado and decided we would take our mountain bikes. We previously had our rear door rack set up for our old cruiser bikes so an update was needed. I used the lolo handle bar brackets and some aluminum channels I had formed up for a solar install. Came out alright and super sturdy. I hung my entire weight of the front forks of each bike.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan

I've always wondered about the weight capacity of the back doors...seems like they could easily handle a couple of bikes, and I actually bought an aluminum box to use as a propane locker on the back of my AWD GMC Savana. Never quite found the time or gumption to do it; I would have had to weld some supports into the door to make it solid enough.

All that said, I've got a Sprinter on the way and I'll be coming to see you soon for some Thinsulate, Hein!

hein

Van Guru
Hein - with the water heater installed under the hood, you must have long cold and hot water tube runs outside the vehicle.
How has this design held up in the winter, since you have water running outside the vehicle in long, exposed lengths?
Sorry for late reply. Haven't checked this thread in a while.

Our plumbing is designed to freeze solid without failure. I have to drain the hot water heater or keep it running when it is cold. The under vehicle fresh tank can be heated as well. There are some limitations. We don't use our van a lot in really cold weather but can always drain or winterize the main water system if needed. We have an inside drinking water system that can still function in extreme cold.

Secondly, does it take some time for hot water to exit your faucet / shower head due to this long length of tube?
We have a purge line that runs from the near the faucet back to the tank. A momentary push button operates a latching relay that energizes a solenoid that allows water to flow back into the tank until hot water is sensed by a temperature sensor.

I've always wondered about the weight capacity of the back doors...seems like they could easily handle a couple of bikes, and I actually bought an aluminum box to use as a propane locker on the back of my AWD GMC Savana. Never quite found the time or gumption to do it; I would have had to weld some supports into the door to make it solid enough.

All that said, I've got a Sprinter on the way and I'll be coming to see you soon for some Thinsulate, Hein!
We have had no trouble with the hinges with bikes hanging off the back door. I did adjust the latches so the doors close firmly. And hung my weight off one of the bikes for a static test. The 8020 tracks are attached with VHB and thru-bolts with large backing plates also with VHB on them. Key part of the design is the channel between the upper and lower track which significantly reduces torsion on the tracks.

Thank you for supporting our business with your Thinsulate purchase. We very much appreciate it.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan

Last edited:

Top Bottom