Hood Prop

jkd159

Quick question about the hood prop. My 2005 Sprinter doesn't have one. As much as I enjoy using the piece of cedar that I cut to fit, I thought I might eventually want the factory hood prop restored.

I bought a prop rod from the dealer for $6. Thought I could just install it with a snap ring on the upper support, but looking that the 2003 service manual (the one I could find online... is the 2005 available anywhere?) it seems like I might still be missing the prop rod retaining clip and prop spring.

This is the prop rod I bought:

This is the lower attachment point. It has both of the grommets that the hood prop is going to slide over:

This is the upper attachment point. It is a bit chewed up, but I can slide the new prop rod over it, and it looks like there is space for a snap ring to keep it in place:

So am I just missing a spring and a snap ring? The prop rod has a few extra holes that seem to serve no purpose... but that can't be the case. Should I call the dealer and order the snap ring and spring, are there more parts I need, or can I get by with just what I have and a random snap ring that fits?

Also, if anyone has a photo of how their hood prop attaches to the upper attachment point, I'd love to see it.

Thanks!

Jeff
2005 2500 140" high top

bc339

Quite a coincidence. I just finished changing the hood (bonnet) prop on my Sprinter this afternoon.
I had to replace mine after someone not familiar with how to close the hood forced the hood closed without releasing the prop. It was a mangled mess. I managed to kind of straighten it so I could access under the hood.
Got the new prop, then primed and painted it.
Install the top hinge point first - place the spring over the pin, inserting the end of the spring into the hole on the mount, then onto the prop. The clip slides over the pin and locks into place. Finish up the bottom and reinstall the washer bottle.

Bruce

Attachments

SeattleNewbie

2013 NCV3 2500 170" WB
Thank you for this old but helpful thread. Adding my 2cents in case someone else finds it useful later.

In our 2013 NCV3 I found that the nut which is welded to the body had broken off and the support was bent. Instead of taking the guts out to have a body shop weld a new nut on the body, I used two large sturdy washers and locking nuts to hold the 5/8" bolt in place... And replaced the $13 support rod for feel good reasons.

To reach the back of the assembly and install the nut you'd need to take off the front grill and passenger side headlamp.

Pictures below.

Attachments

Thank you for this old but helpful thread. Adding my 2cents in case someone else finds it useful later.

In our 2013 NCV3 I found that the nut which is welded to the body had broken off and the support was bent. ...
Thanks for the NCV3 information. :thumbup:

For T1N owners.

The T1N hood prop bolt/pivot/slide is a different design from the NCV3. The T1N design uses a stud/long nut which serves to hold the windshield washer bottle and provide a bolt/pivot/slide for the prop piece. The T1N stud extends past the welded nut which in the road salt northeast can corrode over time to make removal a bit difficult.

:cheers: vic

Top Bottom