Towing, how to set the hook on a sprinter

thinice

2005 tall 140WB 160K
Going "Up North" Know how to set the hook on a Walleye, not so sure on a Sprinter. Reading the book on towing it says not to tow over 30 mph unless you drop the drive shaft.
Have not got a clear answer from insurance yet (State Farm roadside assistance) as to weather they would provide a flatbed deep in the woods & it does not sound like it's a good idea to pick up a Sprinter from the rear either? Any advice or experiences would be appreciated.:thinking:

icarus

Flat bed or dolly.

I had to be towed from Black Duck to MSP after nearly totaling the truck after hitting a deer. It is a pretty big load on a single axle flat, but it does work. AAA and State Farm picked up the entire tab without question.

Icarus

skydiver007

DRB III Owner If You Need
I cant see how it could be bad, just spindles not attached to tranny or any other critical components.

icarus

^^Except you MIGHT overload the front axle weight limit, On the tires, spindles, bearings etc. As you raise the rear, the effective weight increases on the front. I know my truck is near the limit on the front axle just sitting on it's own.

Bottom line, if it were me, I would use a roll on flat or a dolly. That said, it is probably fine for a few miles, but if, as I had to do, tow for a coulple of hundred, I wouldn't do it.

Icarus

thinice

2005 tall 140WB 160K
Book says when towing from rear place hooks on axial so as not to damage brake lines. Sounds like its O.K. to tow from rear however, my step bumper is kind of flimsy and a little bent. I don't think it would survive a rear tow.

John484

'06 140 2500 SHC
I think as long as you didn't get the rear sky high it would be ok. I was mainly wondering because I assumed some freaking MB electronics module would veto the whole thing.
I've drove conventional and rollback wreckers awhile back but never had to repo or tow a Sprinter. I wish we had gotten some so I would know more about it now. I loaded quadcab duallies on rollback, man it was tight but a 170 3500 sprinter looks easier(it's narrower). I don't know what all the roadside plans get so nervous about sprinters for.

icarus

A 2500 140 is a pretty big load on a roll back, but it worked, and is under legal height, though it doesn't seem so. My van is just under 10' tall with the roof a/c, plus the deck height of the truck...pretty tall!

Icarus

Boater

So if you are stuck in the woods could they tow you to a highway at 30mph from the front and then transfer to a flatbed?
If you are deep enough in the woods you may be close to the first drivers driving hours when you get out anyway.....

To be honest, you could have the driveshaft off and loaded inside by the time the tow truck reaches you, mind you if he manages to get you started you will be embarrassed!

Top Bottom