New Advanced RV Being Built

Diamondsea

It has been a few weeks since I ordered my Advanced RV and it seems as though the semi-custom building process is going smoothly. These RVs are ordered directly from the factory -- there are no dealers. Unless you are buying a spec built unit from their inventory you can have semi-custom changes and features done so the end product is as you desire. I made an initial factory visit to see their workmanship and discuss requirements, then received pricing by email, then placed the order by mailing a deposit check. After that I made another visit to go over many details. Since then there have been 2 or 3 emails from them with questions that were left unresolved, and I was able to quickly answer with my choices as their emails included pictures of possible choices. They also sent some progress photos.

I have recently been informed that my van has been moved to their "cabinet shop" which is located separately from their main building. Initial work is done at the main location, then woodwork is done at the "cabinet shop", then the van returns to the principal location to be finished.

I have not pressed for a delivery date as I am unable to use it until the end of the summer anyway. Based on our initial discussions that is about when it will be finished. My thinking is that I may make another trip to check things a very few weeks before it is finished.

I am getting excited!

ECU

2006 T1n 118 Sprinter
I'm trying to imagine 40 sheets of sheetrock in there. How are you ever going to use a van like this?:idunno:

Diamondsea

Re question on insulation:
The build sheet says "Noise & thermal insulation in floor, walls, ceiling & doors". Someplace in another document I saw a reference to "denim insulation" which is made from recycled denim fabric I think. The photo seems to show material taped over some openings which looks temporary perhaps to prevent stuff such as stripped wire insulation from falling into the body cavities. If you want details the answer might be to email them.

Davydd

Is there insulation in your build?
Al, I don't have first hand knowledge but I would guess ,yes. This is something I am sure they would listen to you with any concerns and would most likely accommodate any of your desires more so than the other major B converters.

Diamondsea

My new Advanced RV is almost ready and I should be able to pick it up by the end of the month. Last week I made my third trip to the factory -- the first being before I placed the order, the second soon after to iron out details, and last week's for a final check and the resolution of a couple of details. I continue to be more and more impressed and believe that it will be worth all the expense. They are doing many things that are far superior to the competition which is really not competition! A final answer on the insulation question: There are multiple types and layers of insulation in all places.

In order to get a head start on the learning curve I asked for and received three "owner's manuals". The first was the Mercedes book of over 300 pages. The second was their own manual that covers their computer control system that runs almost everything in the coach. This was over 130 pages and included screen shots of all the computer operations. At my age of 73 I am slow on computer stuff but I find their instructions user friendly and operations seem to be intuitive. I wish companies like Verizon and Apple could do as well. This manual also had check lists for start up, getting ready to settle in for a night, etc. There were also detail step-by-step instructions for emptying the tanks, etc. The final manual is a document that they customize for each individual RV as it contains the literature supplied by each vendor whose equipment goes onto a particular RV. As mine is still being worked on they gave me a copy of the manual for one of their demo units as much of the equipment will be the same. That demo unit has sophisticated navigation and complex audio systems. This manual covered everything from the power cord to the toilet! It is over 900 pages! All three manuals including customization for each RV are given to the owner on a thumb drive to be put onto an iPad or computer!

I just got a few minutes ago an email from them that they are going to have a demo unit near the big RV show in Hershey, PA this week. If you contact Advanced-RV.com they can give you a phone number and email address to contact the folks by the show.

tooldye

While I'm excited for you and your new Advanced RV, I'm a little depressed. I am in the middle of my own conversion and have gotten loads of inspiration from your Cheap Conversion. Your use of steel shelving and the 10 Gal. Brute toilet are ingenious and I plan to copy them.
Is this where I'm headed? Am I going to complete my own cheap conversion, with little expense but loads of time and energy, just to use it for a few years and then toss it aside to buy some fancy-pants, deluxe, not cheap, 3rd party, store-bought RV? Diamondsea, I wish you many miles of happy travels in your new rig, but you have let me down.
I'd ask if you'd sell me your Cheap Conversion (which doesn't even have the dignity of a name, as far as I know), but I am in too serious of a relationship with Gladys and I don't think she would ever forgive me. Then again, when she gets older and uglier, I will probably ditch her for a newer, prettier model, as I, too, have done before. No wonder some say, "Men are pigs."

Diamondsea

tooldye --
I sold my Cheap Conversion to an out-of-state MB Sprinter dealer who offered me more money than I had in the rig! I was not looking to sell, they made the offer and I accepted. I have owned boats since 1960 and I went back that way by designing and having built a 24-foot mini cruiser. In that boat I have and use a bucket toilet based on the Brute bucket. I am heavy and have reinforced it to carry weight by screwing lathe strips of wood on the inside. I have experimented with different brands of bag systems and continue to believe the best for me are the bags from Cleanwaste. They are less bulky than some and because they are shorter I put and leave two circles of 2-inch foam in the bottom of the bucket. I you want more info send me a private message on this forum to set up contact information.

pattonsr

Diamondsea,

Do you know what refrigerator/freezer you are getting? The web site says 6.8 cu ft 12v with a 3 way propane as an option. The 12v tells me the standard fridge is probably a danfoss compressor fridge. The 6.8 cubic feet is the size of a Nova Kool RFU6800. But I am just guessing.

Also are you getting a underneath Onan generator or possibly a second engine alternator/generator in place of the Onan generator?

Advanced RV has been very quiet the last several months. I haven't seen Mike posting online or updating the Advanced RV web site.

Diamondsea

As i write this it is Sunday evening and I am in a hotel with rental car. Tomorrow is the big day as I will be taking delivery. Excited? You bet!

To try to answer your question: Advanced is now using a 12 volt only unit with a Danfoss as this is the most efficient of all the options. These units have a variable speed compressor and they can be set to run at a preselected speed. I believe that my RV will be one of the first Advanceds with this unit. A few months ago I discussed the fridge question with Mike and I opined on the subject based on my experience with marine units of different types. From a theoretical point of view the slower (within reason) that the compressor runs the more efficient is the use of electricity. When these Danfoss units were first used on yachts to replace old units folks complained that the units were not good because they could hear them running for long times. It took a while to convince then that the actual use of electricity was lower. The same is true with some of the newer home refrigerators. I have a new unit at home and it seems to be running all the time yet it is rated as about the most efficient on the planet! I think that the physics revolve around the fact that dissipating the heat from the condenser is more efficient throwing off a low level of heat for a long time is better than trying to dissipate high heat over a short time. Some newer units have no separate condenser coil but use the back skin of the insulated box to get ride of the heat. As to the exact model number I suggest you call Advanced RV to get that answer.

Diamondsea

I forgot to answer the second question. I have no separate generator. I have 4 group 31 AGM batteries. (Up to 6 are optional and Lithium-Iron are optional from Advanced. Their Lithium batteries have different chemistry than what Boeing used on the Dreamliner and they are reported to be mush safer. I went with the very high quality Concord Lifeline AGMs as they are much lower in cost.) The engine has only one alternator which is 220 amps I believe. I think this is an option from Daimler. The computer can automatically start the engine and go to fast idle when the batteries get low. This voltage is set on the computer via the touch screen. By the way the inverter is a 2800 watt unit and as for AC shore power inlet there is a built in surge protector.

pattonsr

I bet you are excited to pick up your Advanced RV sprinter tomorrow. I won't need to call Advanced RV for the manufacturer of the compressor fridge. You can take a picture and tell us what they put in. I have only seen a demo model which had a Dometic 3 way in it. It will be nice to see how it fits. Did you get a convection microwave as an option?

Uncle Dave

2013 3500
Congrats on your ride looks very nice.

When you want to run an air conditioner..How does that work?

Uncle Dave

Top Bottom