Kudos to Sik!!!

Aircraft Wrench

I was over my fuel filter limit on the ASSYT computer by 1000 miles.....I bought one from the dealer last week when I had a "too cold to start" day....I got home the next day and the temps warmed up from -25 F to 11 F and the van started fine, espar worked etc....

Today I had to drive the van to the "Cities" ABOUT 100 each way....my double wrench came on loudly this am as well as the "engine light" I dutifully pulled over and read the manual and it said ECU blah blah blah limp home blah blah blah....so I drive the other 95 miles to and from the "cities" put the van in my hangar....I looked up Siks instructions on how to change the fuel filter, changed it easily!!!! (had clamps on the shelf) filled the filter about 1/2 was with the old filtered fuel and installed with the outlet line run into a juice can...turned the ignition system key to position 2 and the sucker pumped about 3/4 quart of fuel like right now!!!...I put the outlet hose on the steel line....clicked the position 2 about 5-8 times as I reset the ASSYT deal and had no problems with a start!!!! the drive home was fine, plenty of popwer and my engine light was gone.....(it did disappear on the way home sometime....probably after it gave up on me changing the filter :crazy:)

Sik,,,,I did the deed with confidence! with your full direction!! without a flaw or hitch!

(and next time I will not use the dealer for a filter!)

Best regards,

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Who's Sik? :thinking:

If there's anyone to thank, it's Mr. T (aka kkanuck). I think if it wasn't for his fiasco, I wouldn't have read the manual on how to change the fuel filter half a million times. :bounce:

Aircraft Wrench

Its the little stuff that you notice, then pass on to others...kind of like "pay it forward" helping each of us along on the journey of life....(kind of like the makings for a good Disney movie!)

AzteK

Blah Blah Blibbidy Blah!
Speaking of fuel filters, dad would like to know when you should hange your fuel filters? I now the book says every oil change, but he thinks its a money grabber. My uncle doesnt change his till he notices power loss in his truck. I dont think my brothers F350 has ever gotten the fuel filter changed. So, does the fuel filter need to be changed every time you do your oil, or can it be done lets say every second oil change? I guess I would also like to know!

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Speaking of fuel filters, dad would like to know when you should hange your fuel filters?
That would depend on a lot of things, ie., weather, fuel station, etc. I changed mine at 20k miles because I didn't know any better and I live in sunny California. I'm sure I could've pushed it to 30k.

mgjessop

I got 65k out of mine, before I changed it... I run 100% biodiesel, which most people will tell you will clog your filter... This simply isn't true... There is not set limit to a fuel filter... If you never get dirty fuel you will never need to change it... One bad tank of diesel and it will be toast... Save your money and only change it when you notice hard starting or loss of power... One other thing, when you fill up if the pump isn't pumping fast, stop and go to another station... They got clogged filters because they have dirty crapy diesel... I have a friend who owns a Shell gas station, he hasn't had to change his diesel fuel pump filters in over a year... he Sell's 10,000 gallons a week... He prefilters it before it goes into the store tank... Ask you gas station if they prefilter diesel before it goes it to there tanks... Best of luck to you...

AzteK

Blah Blah Blibbidy Blah!
I get my oil changed every 20k kilometers. Maybe I can push it to every second oil change ... hmmmm

Nah, I buy gas from Superstore, mainly cause my mom wants the "super bucks" you get 7cents back on the dollar, and you can use that towards stuff in store (its superstore cash, that you cant use towards gas or smokes or drugs) Their filters do get clogged. Though the 1 and 4mnths i been driving I only remember the tanks pumping slowly twice.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
One other thing, when you fill up if the pump isn't pumping fast, stop and go to another station... They got clogged filters because they have dirty crapy diesel... I have a friend who owns a Shell gas station, he hasn't had to change his diesel fuel pump filters in over a year...
High-turnover stations distribute the contaminants across a lot of filter media, extending the life of an individual fuel filter.

I personally like to use commercial fueling stations that put filters in line with the nozzle.

For more info, see this posting.

-Jon

kkanuck

LUV my T1N
Who's Sik? :thinking:

If there's anyone to thank, it's Mr. T (aka kkanuck). I think if it wasn't for his fiasco, I wouldn't have read the manual on how to change the fuel filter half a million times. :bounce:
Fiasco it was indeed!!!!

I learned a lot however.....I hope!:professor:

Top Bottom