Amsoil transmission fluid and erratic shifting

david_42

I now have Amsoil in my transmission (85K). When it's cold, the shifting is extremely erratic. It over-shifts and attempts to "lock" repeatedly. Downshifting to 2nd or 3rd helps a little. The RSN when slowing down is so bad that I have to shift to neutral. Once it's hot, everything seems nominal.

I wasn't having any of these problems before the service. I did a search and found several threads from an Amsoil dealer about how great it is, but very little from other people. I'm concerned about damaging the transmission, it's so bad.

I now have Amsoil in my transmission (85K). When it's cold, the shifting is extremely erratic. It over-shifts and attempts to "lock" repeatedly. Downshifting to 2nd or 3rd helps a little. The RSN when slowing down is so bad that I have to shift to neutral. Once it's hot, everything seems nominal.

I wasn't having any of these problems before the service. I did a search and found several threads from an Amsoil dealer about how great it is, but very little from other people. I'm concerned about damaging the transmission, it's so bad.
I have nothing definite to give.

How long ago was the fluid changed?

Did this happen right away or after a thousand miles?

Was an OEM style filter installed?

Was the filter properly seated?

Are there any dripping leaks?

What is the fluid level presently?

The fluid will tend to be more viscous when cold so that could affect cold/warm operation.

I believe that there are other members who have used Amsoil tranny fluid. Even an ATFIII transmission fluid which is not totally to Mercedes spec shouldn't cause the rather drastic symptoms you describe, but I suppose it is possible.

I would consider a torque converter and pan drain for a change of fluid. Shell 134 ATF MB 236.14 spec is available at reasonable price in case lots (12 ea.) from many industrial lubricant supply houses. While the pan is drained I would remove it and check that the filter is properly installed. If the filter appears mucked up, or is not OEM I'd consider replacing that also.

FWIW. vic

Last edited:

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)

If fluid level is correct, a reset of TCM adaptations to original values may be beneficial.

This is a simple, one keystroke, procedure using the factory diagnostic tool. Otherwise it may take several weeks of driving for it to eventually relearn by itself.

If reset does not help or you don't want to experiment, contact me for purchase of my DARF kit.

Doktor A

This is a simple, one keystroke, procedure using the factory diagnostic tool. Otherwise it may take several weeks of driving for it to eventually relearn by itself.

Doktor A
I thought that the reset keystroke was a quick procedure, but then a specific driving around with the DRBIII connected was required to dial in the settings?

Is my memory incorrect or has the procedure been simplified? :idunno:

There were comments that the DAD wasn't up to doing the transmission reset. Any more updates on that? Anyone tried the NAG1 reset using the DAD with success?

Thanks. vic

sailquik

david 42,
It might also help if you used the factory recommended transmission fluid......not Amsoil.
Give Amsoil a call and see if you can get it in writing that they will repair or replace your $5k-$8k transmission if their
fluid damages it?
Roger

david_42

If fluid level is correct, a reset of TCM adaptations to original values may be beneficial.

If reset does not help or you don't want to experiment, contact me for purchase of my DARF kit.

Doktor A
It started immediately and although it has been a couple months, it isn't getting any better. I'll have to talk to my mechanic. He's mentioned your mod, but I forgot to have it done with the fluid change.

NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter
Amsoil ATF isn't approved for Sprinter's NAG1 tranmission, so change it out ASAP !
Here are the list of the right products http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/236.14_en.html

Valvoline Synpower ATF is available at some Walmarts affordably.

Please don't listen to the Oil Company's Salesmen, listen to your vehicle manufacturer recommendation, they've tested it.

Please get the Darf mod, you'll love your van's smoothness.

Also get the mechanic to check this while in there to clean the magnetic solenoids: https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2476&highlight=nag1+service

Last edited:
I've been looking around for approved transmission fluid. Came across Valvoline MaxLife ATF Ful Synthetic

Spec sheet shows
2003- 2009 Sprinter NAG1 Mopar P/n 05127382AA, MB NAG1, Shell ATF 3403 M115

Same specs in my owners manual. Auto Zone $6.00 per qt.

Has anyone used this?

Top Bottom