van futon

hein

Van Guru
We won't be riding on this while driving and I will need to secure it someway. But for the price, I think it will serve my wife and I nicely as I complete the rest of our conversion. I'm 5-10, 150lbs and she's 5-4 and 15% lighter. It has storage underneath and doesn't need to be moved to flip into the bed. Quality is so-so.

Thanks Jaclyn :)
www.kmart.com/jaclyn-smith-dylan-futon/p-021W004706045001P

cobaltblack

That futon looks pretty good! I like how the center piece comes down for a small table/cups.

If you want a quick and dirty mounting so it doesn't shift while driving, I'd use those tie down anchors you have. I'd use some good quality ratchet tie downs. I'm not sure what the inside of the futon looks like, but you might be able to do it in a way where the tie downs are hidden under the couch.

If you want something more permanent I would look into somehow bolting it down where an anchor is. (Remove the anchor and reuse the bolt holes to bolt down the futon somehow. It would be good to have at least 2 anchors.)

hein

Van Guru
There are two tie down loops in the floor behind the futon and I would like to add a couple more under the front so it can be held in place. If anyone recognizes those particular tied downs and can tell me where to get some that would be awesome.

Futon looks better with the legs on. Maybe I should weld up a short support frame and bolt that to the floor. Honestly, I don't think this thing will hold up over time. But it will do until I can design or source a nicer jackknife. Can't say I've seen an RV couch with a flip down drink holder tray in the middle.

...Honestly, I don't think this thing will hold up over time. But it will do until I can design or source a nicer jackknife.
Maybe some L-track or E-track mounted to the floor? It will give you many tiedown point options and maybe be useful for other things too.

From my experience with "jackknife" sleeping in RV's what you have looks more comfortable to me.

Can't say I've seen an RV couch with a flip down drink holder tray in the middle.

The flipdown is a really nice touch. :thumbup:

vic

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
First question to ask is why you need to attach the sofa to the van:

1. So it does not fly away during emergency maneuvers killing everyone on its route,
2. So passengers can seat with safety seat belts on

The #2 is likely not possible so the objective is to keep the sofa down. I would likely add some tie down loops directly in the front of the sofa and use tie down straps around the bottom frame. http://www.harborfreight.com/set-of-2-1-inch-x-12-ft-lashing-straps-67386.html

Good luck.

George.

Top Bottom