No more chuff..cuffing, but...

bstvanevr

O4 om647
Gotta make long story short for this;
Discovered black death in #1
studied and got advice here for 4 weeks to do it
Did it today

Took hours to get tar out and perfected the seat

Took forever with bottom tap, sucking and blowing hold down hole.(yah, I'd laugh too)

New copper seal,anti seize and proper torque.

Start up van, no chuff chuff, but fuel ever so slowly filling wells between #1&2

Question,

If I didn't get the seal right,wouldnt i just be hearing the same chuff chuff and spent burt fuel passing by?

It's quite now(no air sound) with fuel seeping out

Could I have somehow plugged the return line?

Could it now not be burning the fuel?
I wrapped the end of injector while i cleaned the body.
I did not try and clean the end of the injector. It was black with carbon but dry and no tar on it.
Am I WAY out there and need to retrace my steps?
I already took new bolt out once, check injector seal and re-torque it again using a new bolt. Any thoughts ?

There isn't any way that raw unburned fuel could come up out of the injector seal without a bunch of noise.

It sounds to me like you have a leaking high pressure line or the fuel return hose/system has a leak as you mentioned. The little plastic fittings for the return line have been known to crack. Look to the fuel supply/return system, not a bad injector seat seal. Good luck. vic

skill3

2006 Dodge T1N 2500 118"
I bet it's the plastic fitting on the fuel return line. Probably a small crack. This same scenario happened to a friend with his Sprinter.

bstvanevr

That would make sence. I took the plastic line off several times to re-heat the engine to pop the injector seal and loosen up the sludge. I noticed on about the third time the plastic peice would not pop down on the top of the return line fitting. Only way it stayed down on,was with clip put back on to hold it.
If your still with me, one more question;

Does the return line have a O ring that I may have lost off the end?
If not, everything seems to point to a crack or loose bolt on high presure end.
Thanks!

bstvanevr

I have found the issue. The nipple on the top of the injector that the return line snaps onto.. Broke. It is now in the fitting on the end of the return line that snaps on to the top of the injector. So .. I fixed black death but broke Somthing else
400$ question is;

Can the top of the injector be takin off?(there is a big nut just bellow the top of the injector)
If so, could just that part be purchased? Or whole new injector??
Maybe someone out there has a good top part with a bad injector for sale :)??
Thanks for advice on this. I'm anxiously waiting to hear the Answeres to this new issue

Can you thread a small screw into the stub end and use it like a puller? Be certain to flush out the fuel passage with a syringe and clean fuel after any repairs. You really don't want any bits of debris to get down into the injector nozzle. A syringe flush is no guarantee, but better than nothin'. Good luck. vic

Edit: It's on the return so maybe not critical, but why take the chance?

Last edited:

bstvanevr

yes im sure i could get the broken off piece out of the return line but..the top of the injector where the return line snaps onto is IN the return line. With just the clip to hold the return line to the top of the injector(no nipple left on the top of the injector) fuel is comming out of the top of the injector. I have not takin an injector apart before.
My biggest question is;

Is the very top of the injector where the left over fuel goes into the return line a seperate part?
There is a 30mm nut bellow the electrical connector.

Has anyone takin the top of the injector off? Is it all one part?

Bottom line... am i looking at getting a whole new injector over this??

yes im sure i could get the broken off piece out of the return line but..the top of the injector where the return line snaps onto is IN the return line. With just the clip to hold the return line to the top of the injector(no nipple left on the top of the injector) fuel is comming out of the top of the injector. I have not takin an injector apart before.
My biggest question is;

Is the very top of the injector where the left over fuel goes into the return line a seperate part?
There is a 30mm nut bellow the electrical connector.

Has anyone takin the top of the injector off? Is it all one part?

Bottom line... am i looking at getting a whole new injector over this??
You've lost me. You shouldn't need a new injector.

The injectors can be disassembled. There are some small parts and springs which can easily get away from you.

The plastic return fitting snaps into the top of the injector recess. An o-ring holds the fuel in where it belongs. A clip holds the fitting in place so the fuel pressure doesn't unseat the o-ring/fitting. There are some pictures and description in this thread.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19234&highlight=injector

There is a thread about DIY injector rebuild. I couldn't find that thread. Have fun. vic

bstvanevr

The plastic return fitting snaps into the top of the injector recess. An o-ring holds the fuel in where it belongs.

my plastic return fitting does not snap into the top of the injector recess anymore. Is the Oring on the return line fitting a flange of plastic or a rubber Oring like the ones on a sprinter oil filter??

I REALLY appriciate your patence with this. IF i lost an Oring off the return line than i am close to an answer. If there is NO Very small rubber Oring on the end of the return line and its a flange of plastic that snaps down onto the injector recess... mine is broken. i'm assuming there is a nipple on the top of the injector recess that i broke off pushing the return line back on.

I hope i made that clearer so you can tell me im crazzy or im missing somthing.

Maybe this will make it more clear.

The yellow arrow points to the retaining clip groove. That appears intact in your picture.

001InjectorFitting.jpg

002InjectorClip.jpg

It is difficult to tell 100% from your picture, but it appears that the lower piece that holds/seals the O-ring is now broken off and stuck down inside your injector. When you insert the fitting the clip still engages on the upper part of your broken fitting. The O-ring seal is no longer intact so you get fuel leaking out. :idunno:

vic

Last edited:

bstvanevr

Hey Vic sorry if ive been redundant about this. Ive read back through your post's to me and you did mention there were O rings on the return lines. from the previous post links you sent my way it sounds like 'Expcourier' had the same issue when he pulled up 10 year old return lines. I bought all of the Black Death supplies at europarts last week. Of course i passed on getting the new whole return line incase somthing happened:bash: I was so jacked up that i acually fixed black death(all thanks to this forum) that i rushed the end and now have this new issue before i can end my black death expeirence on a good note. Thanks again for your time

bstvanevr

Anyone know if you can just buy 1 return line fitting individually then pull the old broken one out of the old line and put the new one in? I know, that would be to good to be true. Thought id ask anyway.

bstvanevr

Well with all the evidence staring me in the face i drove to my warehouse and popped the hood on the van. I looked down into the top of the injector where the return line snaps on and ..........
:rad:

Yup, there it was. The end of the return line with Oring sitting in the injector.:bow:

Case Closed!

All thats left is 100$, plus overnight shipping on a return line from Europarts and i should be set.

I'm a newbie and a little unsure about contacting Doktor A. If he does sell the individual plastic return fittings,it could save me a bunch of $. Last question i will ask in this post.

What is his preferred way to be contacted??

Thanks guy's !

Attachments

John484

'06 140 2500 SHC
Just call him 412 366-6165 pennsylvania time zone. He is super nice guy and has forgotten more about sprinters than we will ever know.
J

Top Bottom