Input Needed: Custom Sprinter Wheel

We are looking to stock custom alloy wheels for the Sprinter. Before we make any decisions I wanted you, the real Sprinter pros, to take a look and give me your input and comments. This wheel could be available in 16" or 17", if 17" you would have to replace your tires. It would of course have the Mercedes center cap.

16x8 or 17x8
Offset 60
PCD 5x130
Load Rating 2250lb
Price would be $1,000 or less for set of 4

Let me know what you think? I appreciate your comments!

Attachments

05highroof

They look OK to me,sort of OEM-ish.I'd like to see them on a van with center caps.I've seen the OEM alloys on Ebay for about $600.00.I don't think I'd pay much more than that.:2cents:

AzteK

Blah Blah Blibbidy Blah!
Ive got the alloys that come with the 06s and I do like them. But those are real nice looking too! Close to the alloys, but im thinking they look better. Nicer color.

Thought though, the alloys that come with the sprinters (the ones you sell on your site) whats the load rating for those? commercial vehicals are soposed to use alloys cause steel can hold more weight (mines a commercial one.) Yet ive yet to run into any problems, hell, it doesnt even come to mind if my alloys can handle it! Then again, I only have a 2500, so its not like my rims are gunna crumple before something else does.

SprintED

So so ...look a little too rugged/northamerican. for me..perhaps the unimog jr./off road crowd might like them ok.

I prefer a more Euro look rim...they seem to suit the van better. If I could have gotten a set of alloys that look like the ones the old Becker Jet van had ...that are rated to carry the same or more weight than the factory steel rims...I would have gotten some. Tried and tried but no luck.

Ed

bikerjoe

My first question is, why get a wheel that has 300 lb. less capacity than the tire mounted to it? I guess if you're not going to exceed this, it is fine. I wonder what would happen if the wheel failed. Would the Sprinter gods say the wheel wasn't designed for the Sprinter? I was looking for custom wheels for my own truck, but that 5x130 bolt pattern severely limits my choices.

Please post pictures or links to other wheels you might like. This will give us a feel for what you want and what we should be looking for.

So should we stay with 16" wheels or would 18" with low profile tires be a better option?

Thanks again!

05highroof

How about both? I've considered 16" alloys for my 05 cargo but cost of new 18" wheels and tires for a work truck sort of break the bank. Also are there E rated 18" tires? I do think the 18's would look a lot better but again it wouldn't be practical for driving on to a muddy job site.

SprintED

Here is the one for the Becker van...I think Midwest uses a similar rim on their limo van

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/s/becker_automotive_design_jetvan_1.jpg

17 or 18 is fine...but as was mentioned there needs to be some selection of E rated tires available in these sizes and the rims have to be able to take the weight. If the only tire available is not suitable for winter conditions etc.. then most of that live in winter may not be interested. My van is great in summer but it really shines in winter driving conditions so tires are important -cant just go for what looks good.

Tire rub and having to cut mud flaps back are also things to avoid.

AzteK

Blah Blah Blibbidy Blah!
16s! Ive got 16 atm, I use it for work, so I dont need no lowe profile stuff. Just a nice looking rim that can handle weight is good in my books! I dont have any pictures sadly.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
...Also are there E rated 18" tires? I do think the 18's would look a lot better but again it wouldn't be practical for driving on to a muddy job site.
Muddy job site? 18 inches? "E" load rating?

At least one manufacturer has an option.

I just picked up a copy of Diesel World - I forget the month, but it's on the news stands now - and they reviewed the Hankook RF10 (reviewed the "theory" - they hadn't had the opportunity to test the tire).

See the attached PDF for a description.

-Jon

View attachment RF10.pdf

rf10_tire_left[1].gif

rf10_tire_front[1].gif

PS: Wheel not included. Compatibility with Sprinter not assured. Load Range "E" applies to certain Hankook RF10 models only. See PDF for details.

Last edited:

SprintED

But will the hankook come with a low enough profile to fit inside the fenderwells of a sprinter???....the tire pictured looks pretty tall

I guess the question is: 18", low profile, E-rated???

Ed

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
looking at the very first rim of Davids, I swear this one was a set I nearly fell for in 16' x 6'5
They will pass providing you do not exceed loadings limits in other words forget the load
98%of aftermarket rims have a legal TUV or AR ASD/ Rating that is just under 3400 Lbs per rim they are passenger rated, the tire needs to be R rated for any 3.5 T Van irrespective of the weight factor it's the class of the van
I calculate the o7 Sprinter as follows
Front axle loading limits are 1800KG
1.8 T= 1800KG = 3968.3Lbs=19841 Ton
and this is with the lowest rear spring rating. on the 2500.
They will fail.. unless suspension is re tuned ..The manufacture must state the limits but also have a certified TUV standard of compliance issued by the government ! OK this is from Euro and AU/NZ If a company says this is the limit he must produce documents, to qualify the manufactures claims! hence ISO Standards.
Where it becomes difficult for US sprinters is In Europe the passenger Sprinter is de-weighted The van is up rated rims are only good for SWB flat tops Mercedes Rims are reinforced for the loading limits to 3.5 Ton I have asked about the 3.8 T the reply is this is not a passenger vehicle. 16' yes 17' No specific' from Mercedes Rims only
Richard.

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
But will the hankook come with a low enough profile to fit inside the fenderwells of a sprinter???....the tire pictured looks pretty tall

I guess the question is: 18", low profile, E-rated???

Ed
Umm... low profile, E-rated... tall order :)

I'm no physicst, nor am I a trained - or even well-read - material scientist, but my untrained eye tells me that the wall height of a tire is integral to a tire's ability to hold the internal pressure, to balance and equally distribute the external pressure across the wheel/tire structure.

How many low profile, 80 psi tires have you seen?

-Jon

SprintED

Well thats kind of what I was wondering...so it begs the question...

What the heck is the load rating on those low pro tires that the Becker and these other conversion guys are using?.....with all that fancy woodworking, couches, bars etc...them things have to be heavy and must need a E tire at minimum.

Ed

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
Well thats kind of what I was wondering...so it begs the question...

What the heck is the load rating on those low pro tires that the Becker and these other conversion guys are using?.....with all that fancy woodworking, couches, bars etc...them things have to be heavy and must need a E tire at minimum.

Ed
The most authoritative answer would be received after contacting Becker Automotive Designs.

When I look at this picture, I don't see low profile tires. I see the center of the wheel at about the same level as the other T1Ns and my own NCV3.

The vehicle might look "lowered" because of the running board/step-thing that is visible on the passenger side, near the ground.

I prefer ground clearance on muddy jobsites anyway, but then I'm very much in favor of function over form. I don't care how pretty something is, if it gets in the way - if I, or my truck get bruised - I'm going to discard it with expedient prejudice.

To borrow from Dorothy Parker, a cosmetic - or otherwise less durable - Sprinter accessory "is not be tossed aside lightly. It should be hurled with great force."

-Jon

SprintED

Jon,

I contacted Becker over two years ago and inquired about the rims and the running boards they use....The would not tell me anything about them. I even asked if they could sell either to me...No they would not.

Only available on a full Becker Conversion....starting price...$100,000

So I went for a set of Ronal R44s...only aftermarket rims I could find with the proper weight rating.

Ed

kmessinger

There is information and a link here about 18" wheels (many of you have probably seen it). There a many tire options in this size.

I would go for 18" if it would not effect the warrenty but I think it would. The main reason for the 18" for me would be more ground clearance.

Tire load index ratings have nothing to do with the speed ratings (alphabetical). What we should be concerned with when purchasing a tire (among other things) is the load rating which is expressed in numbers. Many buyers don't even look at the load ratings.here.

Regards,
Keith

Top Bottom