No start

talkinghorse43

I had several episodes yesterday of loss of power (<1 sec each -just like the injectors turned off momentarily) when running down the highway just South of Atlanta, so I scanned it when we got to the hotel and found the code for camshaft/crankshaft synchronization again. This time I had a new camshaft position sensor along and put it in this AM. Seems to be OK now.

If the camshaft position sensor was really the problem, then it appears this sensor's input is important when the engine is running, as well as at startup.

I had several episodes yesterday of loss of power (<1 sec each -just like the injectors turned off momentarily) when running down the highway just South of Atlanta, so I scanned it when we got to the hotel and found the code for camshaft/crankshaft synchronization again. This time I had a new camshaft position sensor along and put it in this AM. Seems to be OK now.

If the camshaft position sensor was really the problem, then it appears this sensor's input is important when the engine is running, as well as at startup.
I get them confused sometimes, but my poor memory remembers that the Camshaft Position Sensor CMP is needed only during startup. (Once running maybe the ECM uses the old data to continue running if the signal is lost? That may explain a "hiccup" as an (your?) intermittent sensor causes the data transition?) The Crankshaft Position Sensor CKP is needed all the time.

Wait.... I can stop being lazy and post the info. Note that they appear to show the older design flexplate in the diagram even though the book is targeted for the OM647 diesel. vic

058CrankshaftPosCKP.jpg

059CrankshaftPosCKP.jpg

060CrankshaftCamshaftPos.jpg

061CamShaftPosCMP.jpg

062CamShaftPosCMP.jpg

Last edited:

talkinghorse43

The Autoenginuity DTC scan also turned up "P2007 - vorförderdruck überwachung" which I ignored at the time since I didn't know what it was, but a couple days later the symptoms (momentary loss of power) were more severe and eventually the fuel filter clogged light on the dash came on. The only hit on Google suggests this DTC is due to filter issues. So, maybe the symptoms were due to a plugging fuel filter? Interesting that there seems to be a multilevel response from the ECM to a plugging fuel filter - a DTC first and then the light on the dash when the situation is more severe.

That is interesting. At least the early T1N's have a low fuel pressure monitor after the filter. The OM647 engines don't have that.

Funny how so often many of the abnormal power and running problems with these complicated vehicles come back to regular old fuel and boost problems. :thinking: Let's hope that's true with your problem. vic

The Autoenginuity DTC scan also turned up "P2007 - vorförderdruck überwachung" which I ignored at the time since I didn't know what it was, but a couple days later the symptoms (momentary loss of power) were more severe and eventually the fuel filter clogged light on the dash came on. The only hit on Google suggests this DTC is due to filter issues. So, maybe the symptoms were due to a plugging fuel filter? Interesting that there seems to be a multilevel response from the ECM to a plugging fuel filter - a DTC first and then the light on the dash when the situation is more severe.

Top Bottom