Link to our build thread

Please don't give up on this thread for Coach House. When we bought our 241 XL Diesel Sprinter in 2010 Coach House had only manufactured 50 units. So this is a very small pool of people. Add to that, Coach House discontinued their own owners site online. Didn't know where to go, but have been following Sprinter discussions on View-NavionTech@yahoogroups.com where there is more information at least about the Sprinter chassis. Would love to hear about your travels, problems with the chassis or anything else you have to share. Owners helping Owners really is a wonderful thing!
Thanks also for mentioning you were in downtown SFO! We thought we would not be able to deal with the traffic, in our 25-9' coach!

MotorCity57

Maybe this will revive this dead subforum? Any other Coach House owners on here, or anyone interested in them?
chromisdesigns,
You have the very same Coach House floor plan that we're considering (dinette + twin bed, although we're not sure about the slideout yet). How do you like it? How willing were they to make modifications to the plan? Which options did you get?
John

ps - nice build thread.

chromisdesigns

chromisdesigns,
You have the very same Coach House floor plan that we're considering (dinette + twin bed, although we're not sure about the slideout yet). How do you like it? How willing were they to make modifications to the plan? Which options did you get?
John

ps - nice build thread.
We love it. Just rolled over 18K miles since May 2013... Most recent trip was a month through the Pacific Northwest.

They were pretty flexible, actually -- in fact, the "DRT" (dinette rear twin) floor plan was done for us. We own the first one with that layout. We were waffling back and forth between the Ford 272 and Sprinter 241, really liked the mid-bath layout in the Ford, but wanted the shorter unit and a diesel. During our factory visit, we were talking to Steve (co-owner) and Tanya, our sales rep, and said " you know, what we really want is the split bath and twins in the rear, but on the Sprinter chassis." Steve replied "I'll go talk to our designer." About a half hour later he came back in and said they would build it that way for us!

We made a few other minor changes, mostly more 12V outlets, manual awning rather than automatic, delete the TVs but leave pre-wire and mount (they made a nice cover for the mount), one or two other tweaks, like adding a propane T and high-pressure hose from the cylinder to the front passenger-side storage compartment to run our camp chef stove or BBQ grill. In typical Coach House fashion, they did a premium install, too -- hose run from the T in protective sheathing through the frame, and into a little partitioned off cubbyhole in the front of the storage compartment, where the free end along with a ten-foot extension roll up nicely when not in use.

Options IIRC were dual house batteries, tank heaters, basic full body paint, small inverter, sat radio / backup camera. Might have been another one I don't remember at the moment:rolleyes:

And the slide, of course. Good points of the slide -- adds a lot of elbow room and feeling of spaciousness to the interior. If you use the dinette converted to a twin bed, as I do, then it serves as a nice, out of the way semi-private sleeping bunk. You could even curtain it off for sleeping if you wanted. BTW, it takes all of 30 seconds or so to drop the table and jackknife the dinette benches to make the bed.

Down side to slide -- it eats over 300 lbs of your carrying capacity, which is limited in all the class c units on Sprinter 3500 chassis, including ours. We pretty much run at GVWR when we have all our stuff on board, with partial water and waste tank levels. This might be an issue if, for instance, you wanted to carry a scooter or moped on a hitch rack. We couldn't do it, without the slide, maybe OK.

Note the front cabin is still fully useable with the dinette slide in, or with no slide. Still room to get by, cook, etc. just not as much. Slide adds 24" of additional floor space. But we often stop by the road, at the beach, etc. and don't put the slide out. Works either way.

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me with any questions you don't want to post on the open forum.

Regards,

Bob

Last edited:

pgustaf249

This section of the forum will be a great aid in deciding on our first RV. Thanks for you efforts here Chromis!

MotorCity57

Chromis,
We "pulled the trigger" on a Coach House Platinum II 240 this week. Thank you for your input via this forum.
We decided not to get the slide out (241XL). This kind of surprised the folks at Coach House; apparently almost all the Sprinter-based RVs they build are the 241 model. So I guess that will make ours kind of unique.
We ordered the 2nd coach battery, solar, stabilizer, and tank heaters. I also asked them to install a compressor fridge instead of the Dometic absorbtion fridge and they're going to try to accommodate that.
If I can get them to send me in-progress photos I'll post them on a new thread here.
John

M

MerlinTheTraderRVer

So I guess that will make ours kind of unique.
I'm going for the 240 too. :lol:

A bit hesitating on the Dinette or the Sofa in front. The sofa would leave more room for legs and be more social for hangouts when we turn around the cabin seats.

Are you going solar?

Merlin

chromisdesigns

Chromis,
We "pulled the trigger" on a Coach House Platinum II 240 this week. Thank you for your input via this forum.
We decided not to get the slide out (241XL). This kind of surprised the folks at Coach House; apparently almost all the Sprinter-based RVs they build are the 241 model. So I guess that will make ours kind of unique.
We ordered the 2nd coach battery, solar, stabilizer, and tank heaters. I also asked them to install a compressor fridge instead of the Dometic absorbtion fridge and they're going to try to accommodate that.
If I can get them to send me in-progress photos I'll post them on a new thread here.
John
Congratulations, if our experience is any indication you will love it!

MotorCity57

I'm going for the 240 too. :lol:

A bit hesitating on the Dinette or the Sofa in front. The sofa would leave more room for legs and be more social for hangouts when we turn around the cabin seats.

Are you going solar?

Merlin
Yes, I'm having them add two 95-watt panels, although I may change that to one 160-watt panel if there is room on the roof for it.

John

M

MerlinTheTraderRVer

Yes, I'm having them add two 95-watt panels, although I may change that to one 160-watt panel if there is room on the roof for it.

John
Good, I will follow you to see if 300W or so will do the job.

Merlin

chromisdesigns

Hey chromisdesigns, have you gone solar too?

Merlin
No, most of our camping is in the shade...and we have enough battery capacity to go 2-3 days boondocking. If the batteries get low we can always run the generator if we won't be driving that day. But we don't need it every day, even using the furnace on cold nights. If we did a lot of desert camping, I would get a panel or two.

mthursby

We take possession of out Platinum II 241 XL DT in June. We are happy to see this thread and will be posting as we get experience with out Coach.

Top Bottom