NCV3 house battery tray design & group buy?

hein

Van Guru
The fixed tray is 10.75 inside to fit a GC2 (6v golf cart) and 20 3/8 outside to fit inside the outboard transverse frame rails ahead of the rear wheels. I'm pretty sure the springs are mounted farther out from the center line on a 2500. One of the things I needed to clear was the forward spring perch and gussets around it. So that might be a problem on the 2500.

I borrowed an empty battery shell to make sure I had measured correctly. I've since added most of the frame details to my CAD model so I can check clearances when the tray swings down.

I looked for 12v batteries for this spot and the only ones I found were very small capacity (low amp-hours). 6V GC2 batteries are the only way to go in this location, imo.

tDot

I'd be interested in one or two of these trays.

I'm after something that I can mount the batteries under the frame, much like you are. I was planning on a pair of 6v golf cart batteries, but I might keep my options open and upgrade to 4 at some point.

Do you have an idea on cost per tray? ETA???

So just outta curiosity, why'd you stop pursuing kiteboards? I always wanted one of your surfboards, but could never put the money together.

hein

Van Guru
Thanks for the reply.

I released the simple formed tray to production last week. I should have some parts next week to verify the fit. Not sure of the total price just yet. I have a 3500 and have yet to verify that this design will work on a 2500.

I'm flattered that you ask about my kite surfboards. Sorry I wasn't able to build one for you. Maybe someday I'll contract with a company who can build more of my shapes.

-Hein

hein

Van Guru
I finally got the battery trays back from fabrication. They fit perfectly with ample 13" interior height for the two CG-2 size 6V batteries that will go in each tray. I still need to drill some holes in the bottoms for the battery hold down bolts. -And some paint or maybe I'll have them Rhino lined. CAD work is fun but it feels good to finally start bolting up some components. :)

hein

Van Guru
Update: Trays have been installed. More info and pictures in my build thread. Glad I didn't pursue the mechanized drop down design. There is very limited room for the mechanism and it would have been difficult to operate with all the heavy cables and such. An ATV jack works great to gently lift the trays into place.

Please PM me if you are interested in purchasing these trays. Production qty's available.

Walk0080

Update: Trays have been installed. More info and pictures in my build thread. Glad I didn't pursue the mechanized drop down design. There is very limited room for the mechanism and it would have been difficult to operate with all the heavy cables and such. An ATV jack works great to gently lift the trays into place.

Please PM me if you are interested in purchasing these trays. Production qty's available.
Very nicely done. Curious if these would also fit behind the rear axle (left/right of the underside spare tire)?

I assume you had to go with 6V GC2 batteries due to that under-body support? Do any other group size batteries fit?

Last edited:

Mein Sprinter

Known member
Excellent build and ideal design..however, I guess for now these are good for a bare Sprinter(non-RV). Almost all Rv's have fender board skirts(fiberglass) and it's almost impossible to leisurely crawl underneath trying to check/lower the batteries without raising the vehicle somewhat?
I assume your design is only for non fiberglass running boards?

cheers...

Last edited:

Old Crows

Calypso 2014 View Profile
Very clever! Have you considered using rubber straps or bungee straps to hold the batteries in place? Might be easier than bolting things in....?

Walk0080

Excellent build and ideal design..however, I guess for now these are good for a bare Sprinter(non-RV). Almost all Rv's have fender board skirts(fiberglass) and it's almost impossible to leisurely crawl underneath trying to check/lower the batteries without raising the vehicle somewhat?
I assume your design is only for non fiberglass running boards?

cheers...
The OP is using AGM batteries on a self-build RV. Should be minimal requirement for inspecting the AGM batteries.

If you have an RV with those side skirts just drive up some homemade wooden ramps to raise the vehicle up. Looking at the pics, the van might have been on ramps during the install even without side skirts.

hein

Van Guru
The OP is using AGM batteries on a self-build RV. ... Looking at the pics, the van might have been on ramps during the install even without side skirts.
I did drive the van up on some 3" high blocks, blocked the tires, set the parking brake and then used an ATV jack to install the loaded trays. They are Full River AGMs.

Walk0080

I noticed the other night that VanSpeclialties use a similar bracket - simpler and not as robust looking. No idea if they offer them for sale without the batteries and installation.

ehallspqr

Hello Hein. No need for this battery tray but looking at your Sprinter build and some of the neat custom items you made for your conversion prompts me to ask. Do you offer design/build other items for someone doing a Sprinter build? I saw the HDPE panels you NC machined for GeorgeRa. For example the fuse panel with all the intricate cutouts. I would like all my panels, drawer/cabinet faces cutout from HDPE. If you do work like that I would be interested in getting some made.

hein

Van Guru
Hello Hein. No need for this battery tray but looking at your Sprinter build and some of the neat custom items you made for your conversion prompts me to ask. Do you offer design/build other items for someone doing a Sprinter build? I saw the HDPE panels you NC machined for GeorgeRa. For example the fuse panel with all the intricate cutouts. I would like all my panels, drawer/cabinet faces cutout from HDPE. If you do work like that I would be interested in getting some made.
I would be happy to help if I can. Send me PM and if you have a drawing or sketch with some dimensions that would be a great place to start.

hein

Van Guru
These trays do not fit the 2500. I would like to design a RH and LH tray for that model. I believe there is enough space for a single large 12 battery on each side. Maybe a 4D or even an 8D. If not those then Full River offers a DC160-12 that is smaller.

I am very happy with these trays on my 3500. The Michelin M/S 2 tire tread holds pebbles and rocks that are released/flung as you speed up. It's comforting to know that the batteries are well protected by a steel box.

LooseRocks

Hi hien,

How did you route the LH parallel connection to the RH one (under or inside)? It looks like you routed on the underside over the exhaust. Do you have any concerns about the heat coming off the exhaust?

Thanks,

Top Bottom