DIY Oil Change Questions

ltv2011

Amazon.com has 6qts of Mobil 1 5W-40 ESP available for $44.45 with free shipping. A few weeks ago I was able to get it for $39.00 delivered.

gasbottles

I use Mobil 1 5W-30 E.S.P. ( other brands available ). Because modern vehicles use paticulate filters we should use special oils that have extemely low sulphur content. Check these levels online. Also give your vehicle a quick run once a week.

SullyVan

2005 T1N Conversion
You guys don't like the Mobil One 0w 40 (or was it 30?) Full synthetic?

I find my engine runs very quietly and smoothly on that stuff, even if it costs me a fortune.

sailquik

SullyVan.....you have a 5 cylinder T1N ('02-'06 Sprinters)
or
a V6 OM-642 NCV3 Sprinter ('07-'13 Sprinters).
These 2 engines use different Mobil 1 oils!
The T1N 5 cylinders use the Mobil 1 0W-40 European Car Formula.
The NCV3 V6 engines use the LOW SPASH (not sulphur....that's diesel fuel) Mobil 1 ESP (Emission Systems Protection) 5W-40 oil.
2 different formulations for 2 different engines with significantly different emission controls.
Roger

showkey

or
The NCV3 V6 engines use the LOW SPASH (not sulphur....that's diesel fuel) Mobil 1 ESP (Emission Systems Protection) 5W-40 oil.
2 different formulations for 2 different engines with significantly different emission controls.
Roger
This is especially helpful and important to avoid confusion as Walmart in the midwest seems now to carry 0W-40 European car formula in 5 qt containers and does not generally carry ESP Mobil 1.

SullyVan

2005 T1N Conversion
or
Roger
Ah, makes sense. I'm afraid I haven't followed the fancy sprinter threads enough. I have a t1n.

mover_boy

I always used to buy Mobil 1 ESP 5w 40 for my T1Ns at local MB dealer. Recently I stopped by to find out that they no longer carry Mobil 1 and changed it to MB branded 5w 30 oil with 299.51 spec. It's a cheap looking bottle and it says for passenger car use on it. I'm just not comfortable with that.
Any body knows where I can get ESP 5w40? I don't want to order online.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
mover said:
I always used to buy Mobil 1 ESP 5w 40 for my T1Ns at local MB dealer
..and possibly paid too much... the T1N wanted 0w 40 European Formula which runs $6 to $8 per quart

In the first year or two of the NCV3 era, MB was specifically saying to NOT use 229.51 (like Mobil 1 ESP 5w 40) in the T1N
(at least here in the US)... they were telling us to stick with 229.5 (no final "1")

--dick

Top Bottom