The stock, Styrofoam blocks

Montucky

so if you remove the foam blocks, the headliner won’t stay in place?
No - It'll stay in place w/o the blocks... they're just filler pieces for the gaps. I covered the passenger side foam block w/ fabric, and made a filler piece for the driver side so I could fit my upper cabinet.

Attachments

klif01

No - It'll stay in place w/o the blocks... they're just filler pieces for the gaps. I covered the passenger side foam block w/ fabric, and made a filler piece for the driver side so I could fit my upper cabinet.
Kindof raising this old thread, but those foam blocks, are there screws that hold them in or just wedged in there/pull on them to remove?

BKBroiler

Kindof raising this old thread, but those foam blocks, are there screws that hold them in or just wedged in there/pull on them to remove?
Were you able to reinstall the foam blocks after removing? Did the double sided tape put up much of a fight? Thanks!!

j.gerber

2020 170wb 4x4
I am looking for insight here myself. What is the procedure for removing the foam corner blocks if one wants to reuse them. Also what does it take to remove the foam on the rib behind the headliner?
Thanks

Philip53

2021 2500 Sprinter 170, 4 cyl gas
The following is a copy out of the 2019-2020 MB Sprinter Upfitters Book. The foam pads are head protection. There were attached illustrations of the foam pads on the B pillars, but they would not copy.

Head Impact
Certain precautionary measures are necessary to ensure the safety of all passengers.
UPFITTER MANAGEMENT VANS offers two different solutions:
Mercedes-Benz partition wall meeting the FMVSS 201 requirements.
If there is no Mercedes-Benz partition wall installed, foam pads are provided in order to meet FMVSS 201.
ⓘⓘ
In the case you are installing an aftermarket partition wall, please ensure to meet FMVSS 201 requirements.
It is upfitter’s ultimate responsibility to review and comply with FMVSS 201 as it relates to its installation of Mercedes-Benz partition walls and foam pads, as well as its decision to use and install non-Mercedes-Benz partition walls and parts.

If the vehicle has no partition wall installed and has a GVWR ≤ 10,000 lbs, it is fitted with foam pads (see pictures below)

Crossman

I am looking for insight here myself. What is the procedure for removing the foam corner blocks if one wants to reuse them. Also what does it take to remove the foam on the rib behind the headliner?
Thanks
I am in the same boat or van I guess! Following to find out how the foam can be removed? Even the one on the headliner. Thanks.

j.gerber

2020 170wb 4x4
The foam blocks on the roof rib are held in place with double sided tape as VanGoSki mentioned. Ons strip of tape on the roof and one strip of tape on the face of the roof rib. I got one of the two off without braking but plan on discarding both anyway,

Crossman

The foam blocks on the roof rib are held in place with double sided tape as VanGoSki mentioned. Ons strip of tape on the roof and one strip of tape on the face of the roof rib. I got one of the two off without braking but plan on discarding both anyway,
Thanks! And is it true there are airbags underneath the two blocks of styrofoam in the corners above driver and passenger head?

Fanto

Well, that looks nice! What tool did you use to precisely cut the driver's side foam block?

Montucky

Well, that looks nice! What tool did you use to precisely cut the driver's side foam block?
That filler piece on the driver's side isn't the foam block - it's just 1/4" plywood covered in fabric. I only used the foam blocks on the passenger side.

Oneendlessroad

2020 170 4x4 Owner

Montucky, if you don’t mind me asking, how did you smooth over the surface of the foam blocks where they were cut ? When I cut mine they became very uneven - I am concerned that even when covered with Landau foam and marine vinyl the roughness will still show ? See images below.

thanks !

Attachments

Montucky

Montucky, if you don’t mind me asking, how did you smooth over the surface of the foam blocks where they were cut ? When I cut mine they became very uneven - I am concerned that even when covered with Landau foam and marine vinyl the roughness will still show ? See images below.

thanks !
I didn't smooth over at all. I also didn't use any landau foam. I just covered in fabric by spraying both parts with the adhesive and then pulling the fabric over the foam block smoothing the fabric out as I went along. I don't notice any of the pebbly texture showing through on the finished product.

Oneendlessroad

2020 170 4x4 Owner
I didn't smooth over at all. I also didn't use any landau foam. I just covered in fabric by spraying both parts with the adhesive and then pulling the fabric over the foam block smoothing the fabric out as I went along. I don't notice any of the pebbly texture showing through on the finished product.
Ok. Got it, but I think the naturally less even texture of fabric will better hide the imperfections than smooth marine vinyl……I will try it and if it looks bad I will just ditch the foam block solution I guess. Thanks for the heads up.

Montucky

Ok. Got it, but I think the naturally less even texture of fabric will better hide the imperfections than smooth marine vinyl……I will try it and if it looks bad I will just ditch the foam block solution I guess. Thanks for the heads up.
Ahh... Yeah. I don't think Marine vinyl will work well at all. I had to really tug on the fabric to get it to conform. I'm positive I wouldn't have good results with vinyl material that has less stretch to it. Might want to consider a fabric that complements the vinyl as an alternate. Good luck!

Oneendlessroad

2020 170 4x4 Owner
Ahh... Yeah. I don't think Marine vinyl will work well at all. I had to really tug on the fabric to get it to conform. I'm positive I wouldn't have good results with vinyl material that has less stretch to it. Might want to consider a fabric that complements the vinyl as an alternate. Good luck!
Thank you …….!

Top Bottom