NelsonSprinter

Former Nelson BC Sprinter

Attachments

Last edited:

NelsonSprinter

Re: 15 inch Tire Options for T1N 2500s in N. America

As well as the usual suspects in OEM size LT225/70R15-D 112:
Continental Vanco2 OR 4SEASON http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?width=225/&ratio=70&diameter=15
NOKIAN HAKKA C-cargo winter , NOKIAN WR C- cargo winter&summer https://shop.kaltire.com/tiresdetails1/tireid/2946/
GOODYEAR CARGO G26 http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Cargo+G26&partnum=27R5G26

AND THE CHEAPEST TIRES THAT I'VE FOUND THAT I WOULDN'T PUT ON MY VAN
HERCULES POWER CV http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hercules-Po...0|Rim+Diameter:15&vxp=mtr&hash=item2327e5e59b

AND ACHILLES MULTIVAN http://ssl.delti.com/cgi-bin/rshop...._Seite=15&Transport=P&dsco=135&LoadRange=Load Range D

Last edited:

Boater

How come US tire companies make export tyres in OEM size (225/70R15) and load rating (112/110) but don't supply them to their home market?

Uniroyal has apparantly been a US tyre manufacturer since 1892 and I just fitted a set of their Rainmax 2 tyres to my T1N but they don't seem to sell that tyre in the US. You guys really are getting cheated, I'll bet a bunch more of the tyres available here are made by US companies (although who knows where they are manufactured these days). Seems wrong to me!

I bought them from Delticom's UK website fitted to steel wheels, from a wide choice of suitably rated tyres - Nelsons link to the Delticom North America website reveals they don't stock that size at all......
You guys should lobby Delticom to start offering more choice for T1Ns - they are clearly moving tyres all round the world all the time, how hard can it be to let you order from other markets albeit with a longer delivery time?

Boater

Except that Uniroyal (North America) seems to be a division of Michelin....
Gotta love global business!

A.Hayes

I see the winters mentioned above, but I have the summer version of the Nokian Hakka C Cargos on mine (stock size & rating). Same tire without studs I guess?

First of all a big thank you to Nelson Sprinter and the all info he has been sharing regarding 15" tires.

My Nokian tires ran out their life and I searched hard for new tires. I bought Michelin LTX MS2 from tire rack to be installed by their suggested installer. The installer, a big reputable company, would not install them because they are not C rated. They would not risk liability issues. Sum motors suggested they would install Hookian. But I found they are not C rated. My driver's side tire chart specs 225/70R15C. Meaning it is C rated. They would install a C, D or E rated tire but nothing else.

The installer said that if I had shimmed up the axles for 16" tires they would not install 16" tires because they do not meet the written vehicle specs. The only all season tires I found to meet all specs, cargo van means weight, were Nokian and Vredestein. How do '02 - '06 sprinter owners with shimmed up 16" wheels get their tires installed?

Also, fwiw, Nokian is coming out with a new tread design in 2015 for the 225/70R15C.

NelsonSprinter

My driver's side tire chart specs 225/70R15C. Meaning it is C rated. They would install a C, D or E rated tire but nothing else.
Actually 22570R15C are not C load rated they are 112D load rated 8ply. The C stands for European CARGO. NAmerican C is 6ply and not recommended for Sprinters, but might be workable if someone will install them AND you never load 500lbs more than empty in your van AND you never get stopped by the police or vehicle safety inspections

Yeah this adds to the confusion. Goodyear installers was sure that it was C rated. Where could I find this info written down? Do the 16" wheel owners alter the spec info or do they find a friend to install the tires, I wonder?

Last edited:

NelsonSprinter

Yeah this adds to the confusion. Goodyear installers was sure that it was C rated. Where could I find this info written down? Do the 16" wheel owners alter the spec info or do they find a friend to install the tires, I wonder?
Small independent garages/ tire shops are less picky about what gets mounted.
What tire brand, model ,size, did you get exactly?

sailquik

seabiscuit,
As Nelson Sprinter has suggested, the "C" at the end of the tire spec (Euro tires, like the original 195/70R15C OEM Continental Vanco Four Seasons) stands for "Cargo" or "Commercial".
It has nothing to do with the weight carrying capacity of the tire (like Load Range A/B/C)
Sprinters need the => 112 weight rating to handle a fully loaded Sprinter Van.
If you go by the Load Range (not a very good system of measurement) then you need "D" or "E".
Also the 8 ply rating does not mean there are actually "8" plies in the construction of the tire.
Most are 2 ply side walls and 4 ply treads, even though they meet the "112 or greater" and the Euro "C" (Cargo or Commercial) specifications.
For my $$....unless you are looking for a pure winter tire, just get the Michelin LTX MS2's.
As far as "shimmed" 16" wheels.....where did you come up with that?
The 6 lug 16" wheels for the later Sprinters can be backfit to any 2500 Sprinter with 6 lug bolts.
The 6 lug 16" 3500 (Dual Rear Wheels) for 2007 and later NCV3 Sprinters will fit your early (2002-2006) Sprinter perfectly, but you
need to change to the later style captive washer lug nuts. The 3500's are all "hub centric" and do not need the tapered lug holes and
the tapered lock washers used on the early (2002-2006) T1N 3500's.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Nelson, i got the Nokian WRC Cargo 225/70R15 C 112/110 S, all season tires. Nokian rep in Vermont said Nokian has a new 15 inch model for Sprinters coming out next year and that is why it was hard to find any this year.

Sailquick, I was told by Sprinter or thought I read here, I would have to shimm the axle to make the 16" tires run properly. I did buy the Michelin LTXMS2 and Goodyear would not install them. I had to return them. Goodyear admitted they don't have an all season cargo tire to fit the Sprinter. They weren't trying to sell tires they were worried about liability.

I have 5 lugnut wheels. Are you saying the six lugnut hub can be put onto my axle?
Goodyear said they would not mount 16 inch tires because they don't meet the spec written on the door.

Thanks to both for your input.

derekhski

Pirrelli has the Scorpion ATR in size LT235/75R15-D 110 8Ply 2335 lb load rating for under $200 installed .Made in Brasil, the 29 inch diameter is taller than stock 27.4" OEM 225/70R15, and need mudflap removal on 2002-2003s, & is available at TireRack http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...5SCORATR&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes
and OK TIRE Canada
and PMC Tire Canada http://truck-tires.pmctire.com/enr/pirelli-scorpion-atr-lt235-75r15-rb-d-8-ply-110-107s.tire
Nelson, You are running the Rotiiva's? I think they are listed in your info, that you run a set. What do you think of them?

NelsonSprinter

Nelson, You are running the Rotiiva's? I think they are listed in your info, that you run a set. What do you think of them?
Yes I like them, year round possible, wet-dry-snow, dirt road, quiet, low rolling resistant, may last 50k km, and a higher weight capacity than any other tire in this size LT235/75R15E

Attachments

Last edited:

NelsonSprinter

FWIW I just tried running with smaller tires 225/70R15 on front, with taller 235/75R15 on rear and there was NO ASR traction control interference at all with this arrangement ( partial changeover for winter before I had to go) even at 70MPH. It appears the rears are spinning slower than the fronts and the ECU knows to apply ASR only when the rears are spinning faster , so getting just 2 of the larger 235/75R15Es for the rears are possible without the hissyfit !

Is the passenger side rear wheel considered the drive side?
My tires are wearing unevenly. They are directional and have been rotated every 5000 miles. Pass side at 3/32 tread left, the other three tires at 7/32 tread left. I want to put off buying a new set for as long as possible. Would it make sense that if I exchanged the pass rear tire with the driver side rear tire, I'd prolong the tire life by much?

Top Bottom