NAG1 Transmission Fluid Change

Little Harold

grateful member
So I went to remove drain plug (NAG1) and T27 Is too small, even T30 is loose. Looks like last person didn’t have right tool and stripped it...?
Anyone have any trickS to remove it?
Thanks!

sikwan

06 Tin Can
So I went to remove drain plug (NAG1) and T27 Is too small, even T30 is loose. Looks like last person didn’t have right tool and stripped it...?
Thanks!
Maybe a larger than T30 torx bit, a wide enough flat blade screwdriver, or an allen wrench.

If those are not possible, I would just drop the pan. A little messy yes, but maybe you can access the bolt from the inside and take it off using a pair of vice-grips. Replace the drain bolt afterwards.

Little Harold

grateful member
ThAnk you!
Will drop the pan to drain, maybe out a kiddy pool down to catch everything haha. The parts manual has the incorrect P/N for the plug, ends up being the magnet. Dealer can’t seem to find a number and doesn’t think they can order one. Saw some other threads to that effect also. Weird

Cheyenne

UK 2004 T1N 313CDi
ThAnk you!
Will drop the pan to drain, maybe out a kiddy pool down to catch everything haha. The parts manual has the incorrect P/N for the plug, ends up being the magnet. Dealer can’t seem to find a number and doesn’t think they can order one. Saw some other threads to that effect also. Weird
Have a look in the 2005 Parts manual for the number... http://diysprinter.co.uk/reference/05va-parts manual.pdf

Keith.

EDIT: Cancel that! There appears to be an error with all years of parts manuals as they show item 14 which should be the drain plug as a 'MAGNET'.

EDIT 2: Here is a correct parts view with items 14 and 15 correctly depicted https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/parts/mopar-magnet~52108331aa.html

EDIT 3: And here is the plug https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/parts/mopar-plug~5143740aa.html

Last edited:

Maybe a larger than T30 torx bit, a wide enough flat blade screwdriver, or an allen wrench.

If those are not possible, I would just drop the pan. A little messy yes, but maybe you can access the bolt from the inside and take it off using a pair of vice-grips. Replace the drain bolt afterwards.
:idunno:

I thought the transmission drain plug on the NAG1 was 5 mm Allen? I don't recall using a Torx.

vic

Little Harold

grateful member
Hello Vic,
The NAG1 spec says T27 Torx and several NAG-1 service videos online show the Torx being used on the plug (and pan screws) however I found that many people just use a 5mm Allen like you said. I am welding a standard metric nut onto my plug to avoid further issues :)

Hello Vic,
The NAG1 spec says T27 Torx and several NAG-1 service videos online show the Torx being used on the plug

Didn't you say earlier that Torx didn't work? Maybe MB NAG1 transmissions are different.

Thanks!
My trick?

Use the 5mm Allen that works for others.

:cheers: vic

Little Harold

grateful member

Didn't you say earlier that Torx didn't work? Maybe MB NAG1 transmissions are different.

My trick?

Use the 5mm Allen that works for others.

:cheers: vic
Hey Vic,
You’re absolutely right, the Torx do not work. I tried the 5mm Allen but it turns in the hole. The last service was done at dealer (when I had more $) six years ago. They never said anything about the stripped plug, I’m guessing they dropped the pan and never removed the plug. At least I hope they changed the fluid... I had just bought the van and asked them to do a full service and replace anything that needed replacement for a long trip. Total bill was $5000.00. I will try again to find a replacement drain plug that fits the NAG1.

Attachments

Hey Vic,
You’re absolutely right, the Torx do not work. I tried the 5mm Allen but it turns in the hole.
As you said earlier, someone was there first to help you. :bash:

As I mentioned earlier in this thread-the drain plug is removed (or attempted to be removed) with an Allen bit- not a torx bit. 5mm to be exact.

I have never stripped a drain plug's internal socket head but I have deformed a very high strength Snap-on Allen bit in the attempt. Doktor A
I stand corrected, after receiving the new plug from Mercedes I can clearly see that Doctor A is correct. :bow: The drain plug is indeed a 5mm Allen type. Mercedes # A0009976532 Screw Plug
Chrysler # 05143740AA PLUG

Little Harold

grateful member
See the third edit to my post above... (but please double check I have the correct number).
Yes I did see your link thanks, after digging I found the Mercedes P/N in a post from 2009! For reference it is MB#A0009976532 Screw Plug which they can still get :) Will have it tomorrow. I’ll repost if ends up not being the right plug.

Little Harold

grateful member
Hi all! Picked up the new drain plug at Mercedes with replacement washer.
Easily got the TC drained thanks to all the help here :) Question... anyone know the torque spec for TC drain plug(5mm) ? Thanks!!!!

Sprinter NAG1 Transmission Fluid Change Interval sometimes comes up for discussion.

Some recently found Ravenol Information (RAVENOL ATF M 9-Serie is listed MB236.14 on BeVo.)

Sprinter Transmission Fluid Change Interval Information

What is the Sprinter transmission fluid (ATF) change interval?

We recommended changing your Sprinter transmission fluid and filter every 80,000 miles or 8 years whichever occurs first.

Sprinter vans that experience more aggressive driving styles, used in the commercial delivery industry, contractor trade industry, constant extreme heat, heavy city traffic, trailer pulling, Sprinter RV conversions or other severe driving conditions should consider replace the transmission fluid and filter more frequently such as every 40,000 - 50,000 miles.

2006 Operator Manual

2006ManualOilSpec01.jpg

It is best to use the MB recommended transmission fluid. In N. America that would be MB236.12 or MB236.14 spec fluid. The MB236.10 fluid is an older spec and is no longer easily found. MB236.12 and MB236.14 are fully backward compatible to the MB236.10 spec.

Any MB236.14 brand listed on this BeVo page is a good choice.

If you want to save some money by going off the Mercedes specification list...
Many Sprinter owners have had good results using Valvoline MaxLife Multi-Vehicle Full Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid. The Valvoline ATF is readily available on the shelves in the US. (Check the price at Walmart.) That said, the easiest choices, but not the cheapest, are found in the MB236.14 BeVo list.

vic

Last edited:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
Sprinter RV conversions or other severe driving conditions should consider replace the transmission fluid and filter more frequently such as every 40,000 - 50,000 miles.
This pretty much aligns with my experience, where depleted fluid results in RSN and reduced shift quality at around 40-50k miles in my usage. This is a >8klb van which sees a good mix of highway, and low speed stop/go driving. I am probably neither aggressive or sympathetic in my driving.

Who is Ravenol? Another Stephen?
You are posting shade tree advices on the forum without good explanation.
That looks like garbage to me.
Thanks for your opinion.

Ravenol is a well known fluid manufacturer. (RAVENOL ATF M 9-Serie is listed MB236.14 on BeVo.)

Ravenol is recommending a shorter interval than the manufacturer. That is not negatively "going against" Mercedes engineers.

You seem to delight in finding ways to muddy up threads. I will not let you muddy up this one.

Fair warning.
I will delete any further posts that you add here. If you feel strongly about discussion regarding Ravenol fluids/advice or any other subject feel free to start your own new thread.

vic

Top Bottom