3500 Rear Wheel Studs

Jrmorgan

Has anyone tried to put on Wheel Simulators on a 3500? I bought a set from wheelsimulators.com on Ebay. The fronts went on very well. See picture below. I come to find out the rear outside studs are not long enough. I need a good 3/4 inch more. Has anyone else had this problem with attaching the simulators, and if you found longer studs, where did you buy them. Also on the subject have any of you experienced using valve extensions? So far online, most people have had bad luck with them.wheel simulator0001.JPG

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Has anyone tried to put on Wheel Simulators on a 3500? I bought a set from wheelsimulators.com on Ebay. The fronts went on very well. See picture below. I come to find out the rear outside studs are not long enough. I need a good 3/4 inch more. Has anyone else had this problem with attaching the simulators, and if you found longer studs, where did you buy them. Also on the subject have any of you experienced using valve extensions? So far online, most people have had bad luck with them.View attachment 5709
It appears you purchased two front sets:idunno: the rear wheels have deeper lugs so you use these.
Aftermarket rear
DSC00528 (Large) (2).jpg
MB profile front, is a snap on cap.
DSC00562 (Large).jpg
Last MB rear cap, is recessed.
DSC00561 (Large) (2).jpg
Extension valves. can be purchased from any tire supplier.
Richard

Jrmorgan

Hey Altered Sprinter, thanks for the reply. I guess I didn't explain it well. I do have two deep dish wheel covers for the rear. I just didn't take a photo of them. But they both bolt on the same way. Meaning the simulators sit on top of the wheel nuts. The front studs are long enough so when you place the simulators over the wheel you have two holes that the studs can come through. The other studs and nuts sit proud in the 4 other fake acorn nuts. In the rear there isn't enough stud there to use the two real acorn nuts that come with each simulator.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Do you know if these are US made! or UK imports? there is a different width on rims on Euro versions one narrower the other wider? apart form that ! They should fit..ask the seller.
Richard.
Adding after-thought one rim is 5.5' the latter is 6" or 6.0 and 6.6' I 'd have to check the original specs for cab chaisiss and cargo variants My guess is this may be why they do not fit.

Last edited:

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
I think what you're saying is that the jam nuts for the trims don't reach the factory threads?

If that's correct I can point you in the direction of a supplier.

I have the same issue on my 3500. I use two short thread extenders which spin onto the exposed factory threads on the rears. This gives enough thread for the jam nuts to bite and hold the trim in place.

Give me a day or two and I'll see if I can post a photo of the thread extender.

Simon

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
Are these the kiddies? You can get them from www.wheelcovers.co.uk if so.

I wouldn't bother with their tool for fitting them. It's a socket with a tang inserted which locates in the slots on the extender. It's a good idea, poorly executed - the metal from which the tool is made of is too soft. After a while the tang becomes chewed up, which in turn chews up the slot edges.

Better to find something else stronger which fits the slot and use that. I found an old tyre valve puller handle that works perfectly.

Simon

Attachments

Last edited:

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
Thinking a bit more about this...

I've occasionally found it hard to remove them if they've been undisturbed for a while, so it is important to carry a well fitting tool to fit and remove them, or you may find yourself up a creek if you have a puncture.

You may also find that an extender may bind in a jam nut when you undo it: i.e. you remove the trim's jam nut and the extender comes away with it - due to seizing threads between the two.

If this happens you may not be able to reattach the jam nut, as the extender is too far inside the jam nut.

What appears to happen is that either through centrifugal or vibration force the extender "retreats" into the jam nut thread over time.

You can get them out though: soak in Plus Gas then use a tack puller inserted through both to locate in the slot, then unscrew the extender out (took me ages to figure that one out!).

Messing around with them at the side of the road because of a puncture isn't much fun though. I recommend you order yourself up a spare set of extenders with jam nuts and keep them safe in your van.

I wonder why the original retailer didn't supply the extenders in the first place?

Best regards,

Simon

Last edited:

Jrmorgan

Hey Guys just a update. seems the first rear wheel sim I tried to put on was not made right. The inner "hat" wasn't seated right. There was a 1/4 inch gap. I didn't spot it till I tried the other Wheel Sim. That one worked very well, so I got out a few clamps and made th two pieces come together. I wish to apologize for to you guys for asking about the studs. I talked to to WHEELSIMULATORS.COM people, they told me that any problem I have with their product is fully warranted. Any problem contact them they will make it right.

I feel silly. Sorry it took while to get back to this as I drove up to Paso Robles from Los Angeles, the Wheel sims are still on the truck.

ALso would like to tell you about the valve stems I have found. Seems no one anything good to say about the type that extend by screwing on. Seems a lot of people just take the sims off to check tire pressure.
The guy at WHEELSIMULATORS.COM turned me onto a fellow who makes Dually Valve Stem Kits. http://www.ridgecrest.ca.us/~tire-man
Looks like you have to brake down the tire off the rims, but they look like a good deal. When I get a set I will report back.

Thanks a ton again!:bash::idunno:

Top Bottom