Rumble strip noise?

next_ceo

I just bought an 04 Sprinter 158" 27K miles and when I decelerate I notice a noise around 30mph which kind of reminds me of the noise when I used to drive over scrapped cement on highways. Is this something that is considered as "rumble strip noise"...or is this normal on all Sprinters? I wanted to check tranny fluid level but noticed that the dipstick doesn't exist. How do you guys check the transmission fluid level or will this vehicle let me know when its low?

Last edited:

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Is this something that is considered as "rumble strip noise"...or is this normal on all Sprinters?
This could be a bad u-joint causing an imbalance of the driveshaft on deceleration. :idunno:

Normally, RSN is when you're light on the accelerator and the transmission has shifted up in gear. Kind of like driving around @1200rpm and you decide to manual shift up in gear, your engine has just enough power to power itself forward, but you need to ride the clutch so that it slips enough so that the engine does not die. I believe the action of oscillating the torque converter causes this rumble.

I wanted to check tranny fluid level but noticed that the dipstick doesn't exist. How do you guys check the transmission fluid level or will this vehicle let me know when its low?
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=626

SprintED

Seek,

Have always been able to get my 05 to RSN on both light accel. and decel. Actually does it much louder and more frequently on decel, especially at "full foot off pedal" decel.

Ed

Last edited:

next_ceo

thanks for the replies. I still have one more question what is this box with a switch on it(I have two of them on both sides located by the rear doors)Please let me know.

Attachments

next_ceo

looks like the main electrical wires come somewhere from the engine area and there is one thick wire that is inside the car but it is cutoff and nothing is connected to it. By the way the switches have up and down arrows on them.

Top Bottom