Affordable code reader

Diesel Dork

Diesel Dork the Bio maker
Heyduke,
That'd be great but as you can tell from my posts I don't socialize very well and often rub folks the wrong way. I can tell when they scream at me. Any who I'd like to own my own scan tool.

BenJohnson

2006 2500 T1N
Heyduke,
That'd be great but as you can tell from my posts I don't socialize very well and often rub folks the wrong way. I can tell when they scream at me. Any who I'd like to own my own scan tool.
Here are some common scanner options used on this forum:

(1) Torque application and Bluetooth OBD adapter: nice interface, but really only OBD codes, not all the good stuff buried in the sprinter.

(2) Scanguage: meant more as a real time monitor than a scan tool. Only can read OBD codes, not sprinter specific codes.

(3) Autel MD802: well regarded inexpensive scan tool. Can reader sprinter specific codes and display graphs and stuff. I dont own one so I cannot comment much more than that.

(4) iCarSoft MB-II: specific to Mercedes and can scan the sprinter systems. Little cheaper than Autel. User interface is a bit goofy to get all systems, but not too bad. We have a special deal on them. Look at this thread: https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46511

There are others, but either they are not generally available (DAD) or much too expensive (MBStar, MaiDiag. etc.)

There ya go.

P.S. I love the big fonts, I could actually read them with my old eyes.

Diesel Dork

Here's an FYI for anybody that gives a rip,
A couple days ago I ordered the super double top secret special deal for the sprinter source forum members on the iCarSoft-II with Mercedes package that everybody's been talking about for the past few weeks.:thinking:
For those of you who suggested it thank you but for those of you who were keeping it a secret there's a warmer corner in hades for you. I promise they don't use large print that yells at you down there. :tongue:

Last edited:

:idunno::idunno:

Ever consider that you reap what you sow? Your method/style took things off topic. With a different approach that iCarsoft deal information may have surfaced more quickly.

Am I wrong in thinking that this is a thread that gives advice on which code reader to get? Can anyone hear me or am I talking to myself? Or a third option; nobody has any info on the code reader I was asking about? :idunno:

The trend continues?

Here's an FYI for anybody that gives a rip,
A couple days ago I ordered the super double top secret special deal for the sprinter source forum members on the scan gauge two with Mercedes package that everybody's been talking about for the past few weeks.:thinking:
For those of you who suggested it thank you but for those of you who were keeping it a secret there's a warmer corner in hades for you. I promise they don't use large print that yells at you down there. :tongue:

:cheers: vic

Added: For future reference.

Super [Sprinter-source] deal on iCarSoft MB-II scanners!!!

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46511

Last edited:

sailquik

I sure didn't know anything about it and I'm the guy who really likes the Linear Logic Scan Gauge II.
Somehow I don't think Diesel Dork is actually talking about a Scan Gauge II, as it's not ever been recommended as a
"code scanner/diagnostic tool".
As a performance monitoring gauge package, to help people drive their Sprinter more efficiently, yes the Scan Gauge II is
very good.
As a code scanner/diagnostic tool.....not so much....it's completely generic OBD-II and does not speak to MB Sprinter systems
very well at all.
And, the Scan Gauge II does not include any sort of "Mercedes Package".
I believe what he's talking about is the iCarsoft unit, which may be a bit more Sprinter specific, and may be very useful as
a diagnostic scanner, but I don't have one so there is no data to say whether it's good or not.
Roger

Diesel Dork

top secret deal for scan guage? Tell me more! (I wont let on, thats why my font is so small)

It seems that I owe the membership a huge apology. :bow:
I misspoke it wasn't the scan gauge II that had a super deal it is the iCarSoft II with Benz chip. That's the one that I implied people were keeping from me.:frown: You'll all have to excuse my abruptness. I forget that there's no visible tone in the written word so my humor may not be well received.
If I ever ruffel any feathers or rub you the wrong way it's not my intention. Even though I use iMogies very liberally some don't get the humor I try to impart.
I should just stick to yelling at kids to get off my lawn. :yell:

Last edited:
Here are some common scanner options used on this forum:

(1) Torque application and Bluetooth OBD adapter: nice interface, but really only OBD codes, not all the good stuff buried in the sprinter.

(2) Scanguage: meant more as a real time monitor than a scan tool. Only can read OBD codes, not sprinter specific codes.

(3) Autel MD802: well regarded inexpensive scan tool. Can reader sprinter specific codes and display graphs and stuff. I dont own one so I cannot comment much more than that.

(4) iCarSoft MB-II: specific to Mercedes and can scan the sprinter systems. Little cheaper than Autel. User interface is a bit goofy to get all systems, but not too bad. We have a special deal on them. Look at this thread: https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46511

There are others, but either they are not generally available (DAD) or much too expensive (MBStar, MaiDiag. etc.)

There ya go.

P.S. I love the big fonts, I could actually read them with my old eyes.
Does the iCarSoft have functionality that the Autel does not? Or vice versa?

cseinc

Well after going through the things Dennis mentioned no luck:idunno:Even swapped fuel filters to be sure.
So went with the old stand by unplug $h!t while observing the Scanner. Long story short the crank vent heater and the fuel quantity valve ARE THE SAME PLUG!!!!! THE SAME LENGTH!!!! and when the wire loom is up to the plug exactly the same. Swapped problem gone. Guess i should have labeled the plugs when i swapped engines. :thinking:

Any ways as always THANKS Dennis. You are the best in the West. :thumbup:

I will get in touch when i head to Colorado.
Thanks for all the help I find on the forum!!!

I bought another used van (2006 with fuel code issues) thinking all it needed was just a quantity valve (which I have in the bone yard), after swapping quantity valve with no success, and really not looking forward to swapping out injectors, I stumbled upon this thread (Hallelujah, praise God, Hosanna, etc....). Reversing the plugs to their proper destinations solved the problem instantly. Thank you! Thank you!

Now I need to find out why my 2004 van died (at 35 mph a mile from home) and now won't start. No codes, but It appears that it won't sync the cam and crank sensors (both from a known good running engine.) But that will have to wait for another day...

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Wiring harness internal issues (behind the fuel filter)

--dick (he of the broken record)((bobnox will now give a lesson in "grounds"))

cseinc

Wrong thread I know, but since we're here... There is a Cam code now (2043-002) but the Harness ohms good and signal wire (at ECM) flickers 5v when the cam lobe rolls past. RPM's look good (except when I unhook the crank sensor). Cam/crank won't sinc. Van recently over rev'd when an injector stuck OPEN. Maybe timing chain jumped? Maybe cracked flex plate? I'm not sure which to dig into first.

Top Bottom