LHM max 5-10 mph

secondlifeart

I'm new to this and don't want to pay for something I don't need.
My problem: when I turned my 2005 2500 on the other day it started fine, but after I put it into gear it would not go over 5-10 mph unless I fluttered the gas pedal. In park I could only rev it up to about 2000 rpm's. It's at the dealer now and this is what they want to replace:
MAF sensor. $650
1 glow plug & module. $400.
Serpentine belt. $210

Here are the codes from the dodge dealer

Reason for replacing maf sensor -
CODE # 2355 –EGR FLOW TOO LOW

Reason for glow plug & module replacement -
CODE# 2133 –GLOW PLUG #1 SHORT TO VOLTAGE,
CODE # 1482- GLOW PLUG EXCESSIVE CURRENT

I did replace the turbo booster in July 10'& 12' and the upper intercooler hose in Aug. 2012 (due to bad hose) and have had no problems with that, that I know of. Also from past experiences with the turbo resonator/booster, I never went into LHM.

I've read up on glow plugs and it seems that living and only using the sprinter in a warm climate it shouldn't be a problem NOT to replace the 1 glow plug. I don't want the expense if it's broken off in the head. Is this correct or not. I'm at 130k miles.

From reading the posts here it seems that a lot can cause this LHM and just replacing the MAF sensor may not solve the issue. Any help with this would be great.

Last edited:

First let me extend you a hale and hearty welcome to the forum. welcome2.gif

I'm new to this and don't want to pay for something I don't need.
I don't blame you at all for that. I'll be honest here though. I have put off answering your post in hopes that someone else would pick it up. I'm a little vague on some of your comments.

My problem: when I turned my 2005 2500 on the other day it started fine, but after I put it into gear it would not go over 5-10 mph unless I fluttered the gas pedal. In park I could only rev it up to about 2000 rpm's. It's at the dealer now and this is what they want to replace:
2000 rpm is not a common rpm limit. It may not be LHM? A bad brake switch might cause a low rpm limit.

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17702&highlight=lhm+experiment+rpm

222RPMdrops.jpg

MAF sensor. $650
In general the MAF sensors are pretty reliable.

1 glow plug & module. $400.
The parts are expensive.
Serpentine belt. $210
An easy DIY job at much less cost. Your belt is not causing a lack of power or 2000 rpm limit.

Here are the codes from the dodge dealer

Reason for replacing maf sensor -
CODE # 2355 –EGR FLOW TOO LOW
I believe EGR's have more history of problems than do MAF sensors. That said, there are many sensors which can trigger EGR and Air Mass DTC's. O2 sensor, MAF sensor, ERG, boost pressure sensor, and few other things.

Reason for glow plug & module replacement -
CODE# 2133 –GLOW PLUG #1 SHORT TO VOLTAGE,
CODE # 1482- GLOW PLUG EXCESSIVE CURRENT
Your glow plug problems are not likely at all related to your lack of power or RPM limit.

I did replace the turbo booster in July 10'& 12'
?? You have needed to replace two of the normally very reliable Garrett turbos or was the first replacement another brand?

and the upper intercooler hose in Aug. 2012 (due to bad hose) and have had no problems with that, that I know of. Also from past experiences with the turbo resonator/booster, I never went into LHM.
??? The turbo resonator is not the only item which can set LHM.

I've read up on glow plugs and it seems that living and only using the sprinter in a warm climate it shouldn't be a problem NOT to replace the 1 glow plug. I don't want the expense if it's broken off in the head. Is this correct or not. I'm at 130k miles.
With the exception that your engine will set a DTC and turn on the MIL (CEL) so passing an emissions test may be a problem, you shouldn't need glow plugs if ambient temperature is above 35F or so.

From reading the posts here it seems that a lot can cause this LHM and just replacing the MAF sensor may not solve the issue. Any help with this would be great.
There is a bunch of information to be found here:

https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7173

Good luck. vic

Last edited:

Top Bottom