Alloy Wheels + Steel Spare = Potential Problem!

bcislander

'07 Mercedes-badged Dodge
I just returned home from a nearly 7800km trip to the 4-Corners area of the USA (UT, AZ, NM, CO). It was nearly trouble free until reaching Eugene, OR late on a Friday, when the right rear tire started losing air due to tread (belt?) separation. I managed to get off the interstate & parked on a lot in a quiet residential area.

What was the problem? The alloy wheel bolts are too long to mount the steel wheel spare :frown:

A search of the tool kit area didn't result in the discovery of shorter wheel bolts. :cry:

Long story short: A local tow truck driver put some air in the now flat tire & I managed to 'limp' into a Walmart tire centre where they took the spare tire off the steel wheel & put it onto the alloy.

An order for 6 'short' wheel bolts is going to be placed soon.

Moral: If you have alloy wheels & a steel wheeled spare, check that you have a set of short wheel bolts in your tool kit.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
No the moral of the story is to carry a pro-kit such as this now standard on sprinters.
DSC00968(1) (Custom).JPG

DSC00965(2) (Custom).JPG
Then when time is available have the leak pertinently fixed or replaced if the tire is shot.
Richard

Old Crows

Calypso 2014 View Profile
BC, indeed you are correct. Sorry you had to learn on the road.

I just ordered the under van spare carrier and all the bits to install it. Also ordered the steel wheel. Steve at Boerne Benz was right on top of things. He told me I needed a set of lug bolts that fit the steel rim. The alloy rims use a different bolt.

And I do have the pump and mousse machine! Having a spare is a little more insurance. Sort of a "belt and braces" approach...

Last edited:

Old Crows

Calypso 2014 View Profile

ECU

Yep. I have five bolts wrapped in the kit with the jack.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Vegimite! Have you ever used that mousse pump?

(Crow hops down from fence post for a better listen....)
Y did the crow fly down from the fence and place with his talons on the ground and leave a saddle post nail standing up right for me, to run over,?
Me got tallons.jpg
The crow laughed.I Wont say what the crow said, when my slime kit fixed my tire and I pointed it at the crow.
crow-facts-full.jpg
Every night the at fall of dusk the old crow waits patiently for me, but I'm onto him so we sort of have an understanding between us as to Who's Boss.
the eye of the night.jpg
The crow knows all.
The crow flew down and looked deeply into my eyes, he saw the light :eek:
now I am his keeper of his soul.:shhh:

4 Times he laid in wait, patiently watching my every move.The Crow is attracted to the bright shiny light that guides me through those foggy,foggy misty nights.

He's a thief, and just an opportunist flight, and my light is gone leaving me blinded to see by a starless night.
Revenge of the Crow, But it's black-heartened soul belongs to the keeper of the night.

There are strange things in our bush,and even they crow won't venture far from his Territorial watchtower.

The crow posted the reply it was not me, I'm not even here! nor there? the dang thing is possessed.
Signed by the 'BLACK CROW'
:rolleyes:

Last edited:

MillionMileSprinter

Formerly Type2Teach
Yep. I have five bolts wrapped in the kit with the jack.
Same here. :thumbup: (of course now I'll never need them):dripsarcasm:

bcislander

'07 Mercedes-badged Dodge
No the moral of the story is to carry a pro-kit such as this now standard on sprinters.
snip...
Then when time is available have the leak pertinently fixed or replaced if the tire is shot.
Richard
I don't think that this kit would have helped in my situation where the loss of air was caused by tread separation & not a puncture.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
I don't think that this kit would have helped in my situation where the loss of air was caused by tread separation & not a puncture.
Your tow truck driver put air in and you drove in limp mode, the slime will fix any leak even a large hole:professor: plug it and fill it.

It will hold better than air, and the tire stays cooler.
Its a good investment I used this for over 4 decades, and it pays off when the back of your van is so loaded down you cant even get a jack under it.
Or off road when on a soft boggy surface jacks don't work in fact they can be very unstable and as a result slip, end up seriously hurting your self , and in comes that> Crow.
20062012133 (Custom).jpg
Singed on behalf of the Crows grave keeper.
grave digger bettle juice.jpg
:rolleyes:

Richard

Boater

I hate slime, I may well add a bottle for use in extremis but I would rather switch to a spare. You have however reminded me that I haven't checked my spare wheel other than to note that the tread is close to legal minimum.
Apart from bolt length for alloys, my alloys use a 60 degree conical bolt seat, my understanding is that the mercedes original wheels use a parabolic curved seat, so not only length but bolt seat is going to be different.
I have a spare set of bolts for the alloys after my embarrassing incident a couple of months ago, but I don't have any OEM bolts to fit a steel wheel.

If money were no object I'd spring for a second set of wheels with winter tyres on, temperatures have been ready for change over for at least a week - I'm going to have to switch my car tonight ready for a journey tomorrow (all 9 are steel). I guess I'll need to check all my van tyres and see if they are at least all weather - I have noticed that there are 3 different brands on the 4 corners, don't know about the spare. May well swap the van onto a set of identical winter tyres and worry about summer tyres and wheels next year, or just change to identical all weather tyres. So many little things to put right, although tyres are actually quite a big thing, I should really have noticed the anomalies before.

And what's with the poetry? First we have Fords, now we have Poems? Does no one here want to talk about vans? :D:

Dingo

Bolts for steel & alloy wheels are always different in the face . Most bolts for alloys also have a built in washer to allow the bolt to tighten fully , make sure you oil / grease that area .

Also no tyre (tire ) fitter should / will repair any tyre that has had any form of sealant added as you cannot be sure you have no other damage .

I have carried correct sized tubes for tyres to "repair" tubeless tyres in an emergency , just find the object that cut the tyre , remove , fit tube & inflate

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Why ya' all live in Rulesville.
We Van -Slam a Ford -a-day we does it up Van-couver way ,tis time to see the old world and travel up and down, that Ragged Ass RD to keep you city boys boys a lugging over which nut is which. :lol:
Real Men drive with a stick, city slicker boys, drive with a fanny between their legs.
someone's gotta keep the divided tapered thread alive.:rolleyes:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Bolts for steel & alloy wheels are always different in the face . Most bolts for alloys also have a built in washer to allow the bolt to tighten fully , make sure you oil / grease that area .

Also no tyre (tire ) fitter should / will repair any tyre that has had any form of sealant added as you cannot be sure you have no other damage .

I have carried correct sized tubes for tyres to "repair" tubeless tyres in an emergency , just find the object that cut the tyre , remove , fit tube & inflate
You clean the tire, that is wash them before you repair the inside of the casing if damaged.

Dingo

Happy Little Vegemite , wash out the mousse / sealer by all means , BUT you may NOT see / find the one puncture that will fail when you are at speed , on a bend , fully loaded .

Your life , my worst nightmare

Alloy bolts on steel rims Will not tighten correctly & other way round . Once lost a wheel , so know what **** occurs when a wheel falls off

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Happy Little Vegemite , wash out the mousse / sealer by all means , BUT you may NOT see / find the one puncture that will fail when you are at speed , on a bend , fully loaded .

Your life , my worst nightmare

Alloy bolts on steel rims Will not tighten correctly & other way round . Once lost a wheel , so know what **** occurs when a wheel falls off
I'm not silly, safety is a main priority. nor would I leave it in but a leak can be fixed as to a temp and a nail can taken out and cemented in with a plug, on the latter I would not use the sealant.
Any quick repair has a lower speed limit on the vehicle until professionally repaired,its not the puncture rather how much damage was done to the inside of tires core,I'd consider a hole like the tip of an iceberg as to what lays underneath.

My point is highway no way not enough room leading edges soft dirt jack gives way no way .

Its the perfect medium in an emergency specifically if you stuck in a dead zone with no help or ph range available.

Even has a light for the darkness that surrounds you when deep inside of the enchanted forests,the light is pre-charged no problems hooking your battery up the wrong way around. 134778_lg.jpg

jzf0fk

Hello

Thanks for sharing this. I checked by repair kit and noticed 2 things.

1. I have 6 bolts in shrink wrap. The total length is about 2.5 inches with the threat part 1.25 inches long. Is that the correct one for the steel spare?

2. Also, in the emergency section under the glove box (after you pop the cover), there is a black Styrofoam with a round hole (2 inches wide and 4 inches tall). There is a part that is missing from mines? I don't want to find out when I stuck in the middle of no where. Would you be so kind to check yours to see what it is suppose to be.

Thanks

Richard

Dixter

I'm with Dave on the breaker bar... the lug nuts are torqued very tight... I tried to remove a tire with the supplied wrench and it wore me out just getting a couple off. Also, make sure you get the correct socket... a heavy duty 19mm... not a chrome one...

ehsieh

Anyone puts alloy wheel into the spare wheel bracket?
Any potential problems?
I'm thinking of replacing the spare one with alloy.

Thanks,

Top Bottom