AV Install

atulin

It's time start making a dent in the piles of parts I haven't been installing this summer. Here is my AV pile...

Left to right and top to bottom;
  1. 50in LED TV - This will installed so that it completely covers and is recessed into the center side window opening in the back on the driver's side
  2. 15in LCD Touch Screen for Dash Nav - this will be connected to a low power windows 7 or 8 box and will completely cover all of the vertical space between the trim pieces that hold the air vents so I'll be relocating the bottom two rows of switches that control hvac, door locks, etc.
  3. Three 22in LED TVs for workstation monitors (Samsung LED Monitors don't have VESA mount holes on the back)
  4. Modules to link the steering wheel buttons with the new radio
  5. Kenwood KDC-BT952HD head unit to be installed above the driver's side visor since the touch screen will take up all of the factory radio location.
  6. Polk Audio PA D5000.5 - 5 channel amp
  7. Two pairs of Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 component speakers
  8. 12in Infinity Kappa Subwoofer

atulin

Installing 6.5in Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 Components in Front

From Door and Dash Speaker Replacement -

Door Speaker Factory vs New

I've seen where people have installed 6.5in speakers the doors but the magnets on these are too big to fit the factory opening in the door.

so I covered the inside of the door with RAAMmat BXT II and then opened up the factory speaker opening with a body saw.

The Speaker is also too deep to mount flush to the metal like the factory one did. The other side to though is that the lip is a little thinner so with a .5in mdf spacer the back of the speaker clears the inside of the door and the door trim panel still has about a 1/8in clearance to the speaker so you don't have to do any modification to the panel other than to mount he new speaker grill. There is no reason you couldn't us the factory flush speaker grill if you prefer that look.

Tweeter - New vs Old

These come with several different housings you can use to mount the tweeter but I decided to flush mount them in the current tweeter grill using the adjustable setup.

These have a pretty big crossover that I just attached under the dash on each side with double sided tape.

So I currently have the new radio half-ass installed on the shelf above the driver's side visor and I'm directly driving the speakers without an amp so it sounds much better than stock but the 22w rms output on that radio can't do much to drive these 100w rms speakers at any real volume without a lot of distortion.

Last edited:

atulin

I just looked up this thread to reference so I'll post the mostly final install of my 22in touchscreen in the dash.

2013-10-02 22.03.48e.jpg

2013-10-02 22.32.11e.jpg

2013-10-17 23.38.59e.jpg

2013-10-18 16.09.21e.jpg

Charlie

2008 2500 170 Diesel
Killer installation. The in dash display will compete with the Tesla S.

I am curious about one thing. Installing the 50 inch display in the window recess is a great design approach and should provide a very clean look, but viewing will be across the van. Assuming seating against the passenger side wall, are you worried about the screen being too big for the viewing distance? I assume the display will be a full 1080p.

Not trying to be critical here, but you seem to have put considerable thought and effort (not to mention $$) into this, so I am interested in your opinion.

atulin

Killer installation. The in dash display will compete with the Tesla S.

I am curious about one thing. Installing the 50 inch display in the window recess is a great design approach and should provide a very clean look, but viewing will be across the van. Assuming seating against the passenger side wall, are you worried about the screen being too big for the viewing distance? I assume the display will be a full 1080p.

Not trying to be critical here, but you seem to have put considerable thought and effort (not to mention $$) into this, so I am interested in your opinion.
I've had the 50 installed for about year and sitting that close actually works out fine. It's just really big. I have in motion HD off dish network so I'm working with pretty good signal when there isn't a tree in the way...

I'm still plugging away on getting my cabinets and upholstery done but here is a photo from a few weeks ago to give you an idea of the layout.
2013-10-09 19.18.16e.jpg

Charlie

2008 2500 170 Diesel
Atulin,

Thanks for the reply. Real world experience trumps speculation every time.

A van video system is on the project list for this winter. For my layout, the viewing distance will be 6.5 feet with a 1080p fold down screen of 27". (might be able to squeeze in a 32") Not quite up to your standards but good enough for the occasional video.

Next time I go to Best Buy, I'll try standing 5.5 feet from a 50 inch screen just to see what I'm missing.:D:

Top Bottom