New member - 416cdi

416cdi

04 LWB 416cdi T1N OM612 rust-bucket
Gday fellas,
Im a tradesman and an owner of a 2006 2.7Ltr 416cdi Sprinter van with hi-roof LWB, sprintshift and every other option imaginable. With the price the dealer (Easter Creek Sydney) charged me for all the options I could have bought another second hand sprinter lol.
I joined this forum today so I could start to learn more about my beloved van (before I start having any problems) from the experiences and knowledge of you guys on this forum.
If youre interested I will introduce a little about my van.
Ive done about 170,000kms since 2006 and its been relatively trouble free.
Only problems Ive had are;
Fuel pump failed at around 30,000kms which caused me to break down (fixed under warranty)
I had a faulty relay for the sprintshift transmission (incorrectly diagnosed twice by the knuckleheads at Eastern Creek then on the 3rd time they finally found the problem) again I broke down (suddenly) in the middle of the road, but fixed under warranty at around 50,000kms.
Once these issues were rectified I have had no real dramas since then.
My mobile mechanic Nick services it for me every 10,000kms. I change the the oil and filter every service. Every 2nd service I change the fuel and air filters.
I changed my first set of 7 tyres (original Bridgestones minus 2 of them that were puntured) at 150,000kms and now run GT Radial Max Miler EX which seem to work well at half the price of brand new bridgestones.
Its going to take a long time to read all the reviews and information you guys have posted on here but thanks for doing so it will provide owners such as myself a great wealth of knowledge we can draw on when required.
Keep up the great work guys.

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
Hi 416CDI,

I ordered a 416CDI in 1999, it was delivered in January 2000. I kept it for nearly ten years and did over 840,000kms all over Europe in it from the top of Finland to the islands of the Aegean. I've got so many stories from that time! I rejuvenated it towards the end of our time together and sold it to a friend three years ago. What a van. I decided to sell it for other reasons then bought a slightly different specification Euro5 416CDI.

Your engine and transmission are arguably the best possible combination a Sprinter can have, and in that body variant it's probably the ultimate big Sprinter.

416cdi

04 LWB 416cdi T1N OM612 rust-bucket
Hi 416CDI,

I ordered a 416CDI in 1999, it was delivered in January 2000. I kept it for nearly ten years and did over 840,000kms all over Europe in it from the top of Finland to the islands of the Aegean. I've got so many stories from that time! I rejuvenated it towards the end of our time together and sold it to a friend three years ago. What a van. I decided to sell it for other reasons then bought a slightly different specification Euro5 416CDI.

Your engine and transmission are arguably the best possible combination a Sprinter can have, and in that body variant it's probably the ultimate big Sprinter.
Mean_in_green,
wow! 840,000kms! What a great innings!Do you know if that is common for our model?
At the time of purchase it was the biggest body and engine available for the Sprinter and its been great. I can easily travel up some of the steep inclines on the highways in and out of Sydney (including Mt Bulli) with at least a 1Tonne load inside about 110km/hr.
I have had many people say to me I shouldnt have any problems getting at least 500,000kms out of mine, you have just reinforced that belief I have. But the biggest problem at the moment is a bit of rust is starting to show up around the roof gutter and at the bottom of the windscreen. Ive been thinking of re-spraying the whole van but I know it will probably cost around $5,000. So I have been holding off.
I love the cruise control and sprintshift, they have made my travels more enjoyable.
How often and what type of servicing did you do to yours?
Mercedes told me every 22,500kms but I dont believe them. That may be adequate if you are only keeping the vehicle for a few years, but Im planning on keeping it for at least 15 years or more and want to look after it.

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Welcome to the forum , Merc's are great have never had any major problems with my 2005 313cdi since purchasing new.
Rust on top gutter is sealant cracking, this effects the paint if not regularly cleaned at last twice a year. it can be fixed screen rust is caused by dirt behind the rubber seal that stays damp too long. Oil changes are dependent on oil type, 10 to 40 thousand ks between oil change intervals.
wash and wax 020 (Custom).JPG

800000.JPG
Richard

Eric Experience

416 CDI.
Welcome. Good to get on to the rust asap. While you are at it take out the plastic steps and treat the rust under them. Eric.

Top Bottom