Rsn Fixed !!!

xfordfan

Lube guard platinum, universal at fluid protectant.. Purchased at NAPA auto parts. Lube guard tech on phone said must use the platinum one, there are 2 lube guards at NAPA. It took a few minutes to figure out how to get trans cap off, Used a small mirror and a bent scratch awl to relieve red clip, you must push from back and gently persuede clip out. Put all 10 oz. in about two weeks ago and ALL tc shudder gone, also seems to shift smoother. Hope this helps everybody, took situation into own hands after DODGE said: idunno: " its normal, does it on all of them". PS Anybody got a fix for Grindy brakes.

talkinghorse43

Hopefully, that additive won't reduce the coefficient of friction so much that you get the dreaded shudder (stick-slip at high torque) instead.

Re the brakes - I think they grind because the surface turns to glass when you brake hard and overheat them. The fix that worked for me was to stop braking hard. Drive carefully, plan ahead, and use the engine to help brake whenever possible.

xfordfan

Average about 1800 lbs. of cargo, tools and material. heavy loads up to 4000lbs. Highway or around town I dont feel any tc shudder anymore. i previuosly felt it most at about 30-40 and at about 20 mph coasting and a little on hard acceleration. seems the 2nd gear shift to soon got a little better also. trans has never shifted better and NO vibration.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
Did you know what the level of your tranny fluid was before the Lube Guard?

Mine is already topped off so I don't know if I have any room left, but I'm willing to try it.

xfordfan

Did you know what the level of your tranny fluid was before the Lube Guard?

Mine is already topped off so I don't know if I have any room left, but I'm willing to try it.
Dropped an electricians fish tape down fill tube to check level before and after. only raised level of fluid about less than 1/8 " on fish tape. dont know if I was low or high from start, yet I cant imagine an 1/8" being to much fluid in a 9 qt. system. only a 10 ounce bottle.

AzteK

Blah Blah Blibbidy Blah!
quick question on this little matter. How much liquid can the tranny hold (ATF), cause ima go buying some fluild this week most likely, and want to get an idea. My dipstick hasnt come yet, so I havent the foggiest how much is/isnt in there either as well.

sikwan

06 Tin Can
The entire transmission including what's in the torque converter is 7.7 liters or 8.14 quarts.

stp57

I just sent off a sample of my ATF to Blackstone. My 2006, 2500 has 27K on the tranny & I want to see if Blackstone can detect any contaminants in the fluid. If it comes back clean I'll put a can of Lube Guard in it to see if it takes care of my RSN.
Here is a great (& lengthy) report from Blackstone's newsletter on the questionable benefits of additives. I would really like to see Richard's response to this article.
Steve

SprinterUSA1

I just sent off a sample of my ATF to Blackstone. My 2006, 2500 has 27K on the tranny & I want to see if Blackstone can detect any contaminants in the fluid. If it comes back clean I'll put a can of Lube Guard in it to see if it takes care of my RSN.
Here is a great (& lengthy) report from Blackstone's newsletter on the questionable benefits of additives. I would really like to see Richard's response to this article.
Steve

Steve,

where is the report? I do not see anything.

SprinterUSA1

BULBASOR

SIKWAN!

Do you think I should try the 10 ounces of "super lube platnum ATF protecto gunk" whatever the hell it was he called it stuff first before I try topping off Bulbasors tranny with your instructions?

If so, I hope the guy at NAPA knows what I'm talking about.:thinking:

stp57

I'm expecting my ATF analysis from Blackstone any day now. I am curious as to whether or not they will find contamination or something else in my fluid. I have 27K on my 2006, 2500 & I have had RSN since the 1st week. I will report back when I get their email.
Steve

BULBASOR

We never had the RSN on BULBASOR until about 6 months ago. I did get the high speed cavitation once after BULBASOR had been in the body shop for two months getting a nose job. (We hit a deer outside of Sonora Texas at about 70 MPH). BULBASOR was okay and we drove home fine but the front bumper and grill needed to be replaced. After sitting for so long, I ran up the freeway straight up to 85 from the body shop and just as I let of the gas the cavitation roar started. I hit the gas and it stopped. I tries and tried and tried to get it to do it again but I never have been able to cause a high speed cavitation since that day. (Three years ago).

The RSN just started sneaking up about 6 months ago. At first, just a little, then enough for me to notice. It still is easy for me to avoid but if I try real hard I can cause it to rumble for just a second, no longer. I just don't want it to get worse.

BULBASOR

I called the dealer and they are willing to look at the ATF levels. They were very honest with me that all sprinters have the funny noise caused by the tranny trying to find the right gear when your inbetween a coast an power shift from second to third gear. Dan at the dealer said they have resolved themselves to believe this to just be a permenant charataristic of the tranny. Dan said he has seen a lot of things on sprinters during his time at the dealer but he said he has only had ONE sprinter tranny ever fail. He just does not think this is an issue and he said the factory does not either. They still believe thier tranny is bullet proof, and so far the service record for that T1N tranny is pretty bullet proof.

I don't know what to say guys, but Dan said they are willing to look at the ATF levels. (I need to go in to get the ESPAR unit going anyway)

I still can't seem to get the dang ESPAR to fire up.

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
They were very honest with me that all sprinters have the funny noise caused by the tranny trying to find the right gear when your inbetween a coast an power shift from second to third gear.
That is not a plausible theory as to the cause of RSN. Doktor A

BULBASOR

Sorry Doc, I need to apologize for my lack of technical knowledge about modern automobiles, but this is about the best way I can explain the symptom: (funny noise when shifting from 2 to 3rd).

I'm not really sure what the cause is and Dan at the dealer said they have no clue either.

I would be very interested if there was a theory out there to explain what this rumble sound is we are all hearing. Or perhaps Dan at the dealer is right and it's somthing we should just ignor?

Your opinion would be valuble to all of us.

Thanks

abittenbinder

Doktor A (864-623-9110)
RSN should not be on the list of the top 100 things you need to be worrying about.

"Theory" may have been a poor choice of words. I believe the cause is well established-The vibrations(amplified in the Sprinter by large sheetmetal panels) are caused by the torque converter clutch which is engaging in a slip mode of between 5%-95% lock-up -by the cycling of its activation solenoid by the TCM.

There is some discussion of whether RSN is due to a grab/slip of the linings due to coefficient of friction of fluid or actual program maps controlling the solenoid duty cycle. But the TCC is the source of RSN.

The TCC is also the likely source of the "shudder" owners frequenty experience when driving at highway speeds under heavy loading with old, spent transmission fluid.

BTW, Our NAG1 transmission is also found in Chrysler hemi vehicles(300M, Jeep grand Cherokee,etc) as well as the Crossfire and Jeep Liberty CRD. Those group sites are moaning about RSN, as well. Doktor A

Top Bottom