Best spot for Scangauge ( imho)

WPJ

So wider what would happen if you ae that insurance that you have the obd logger fr cheaper rates. Mb must think this wrong....b like jn pointed out that port was put in there to allow us access to the system.

mofo989

Guys,

As for a permanently attached "Y" cable......I find it hard to believe that any authorized MB Sprinter dealer would ever plug their coveted MB SDS system connector into one side of a Y cable.
They will for sure unplug the Y cable and use the OEM socket.

Roger
Actually, my idea for the Y-adapter is to put one leg of the Y back into the original location. Unless the tech has a problem with the port or is digging around in the wires behind it they would never know the Y adapter is even there.

sailquik

The only way I see to add a "Y" cable between the ECM and the OBD-II port would be to cut and splice all the wires between the ECM and the port.
You could do that, but you would do so at your own peril.
Your warranty would be worthless.
Of course you would figure the attenuation on all those wires so that the MB SDS system would never be aware that the Y connection was there.
Official Mercedes Benz Authorized Sprinter shops/technicians are not idiots.
They would spot the rewire as soon as they looked up under the dash.
Anything you do that moves/dismounts/loosens the OBD-II port from it's normal factory installed position and mounting would be considered an unauthorized modification I'm pretty sure.
Advocating removing the OBD-II socket from it's mount, adding any sort of additional wiring is almost sure to void your warranty.
If the tech does not see your modifications, the MB SDS may very well detect them.
Messing with the diagnostics socket is totally ill advised IMHO!
Roger

Last edited:

mofo989

The only way I see to add a "Y" cable between the ECM and the OBD-II port would be to cut and splice all the wires between the ECM and the port.
Ummm.. the adapter on Amazon for $13 requires no soldering/cutting, theoretically as follows:

Step 1: unsnap factory OBD cable from holder (this leaves the connector intact, just removes the hatch door contraption)

Step 2: Take "crotch" of Y adapter and plug it in to factory connector.

Step 3: Plug one leg of Y-adapter BACK unto the factory ODB holder.

Step 4: Plug remaining leg of Y-adapter into accessory.

This may not work for two possible reasons:

1. The Y-adapter does not carry all the pins used by the factory OBD (unlikely)
2. The Y-adapter leg is connector is not mechanically compatible with the factory OBD holder/hatch door (very possible).

Since we aren't modifying anything, and as long as the OBD protocol can handle multiple devices on the bus simultaneously, both digitally as well as signal-integrity, then there should be no violation of any warrantee.

Along this line of discussion regarding M-B connecting up their diagnostic tool...

I can see where a diagnostic system using an OBD2 plug with a body that steps to a significantly larger dimension just beyond the plugs shroud (the part of the plug that fits completely into the OBD jack in our Sprinters) could become a problem if the jack is recessed...As I did with mine to get clearance for the Scangauge plug between the OBD jack and the fuse panel cover.

The SAE standard calls out a clear area around the jack of at least 48mm x 25mm, which could be an issue where a jack is recessed.

When I re-mounted my OBD jack on the top side of the panel with short standoffs to recess it I did a little trimming to square up the "hole" thru which the OBD plug must fit to go into the jack and this ended up being 48mm x 28mm, so I am slightly larger than the SAE standard minimum.

I agree with the strategy of disconnecting the Scangauge OBD plug before turning the van over to any inspection or maintenance person for work, if for nothing more than to just not require them to unplug it before they can hook their tool.

gary 32

07 ncv3 pv
keep it clean and simple

My obd 2 port is released and plugged into my bullydog watchdog, has been for several years and several trips to the dealer. My cable is routed under the pillar cover with a clean small hole in the base of the cover. The completed connection tucks very firmly above the port. Any tech that can't unplug the tap should not be working on sprinters, imho.
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=47113&d=1351523022 (thanks to chandlerman)
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=47114&d=1351523022
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=47115&d=1351523022

These are some photos of mine (kick panel is removed from the van and the OBD jack has been released from the housing in these pics).

The screws are #6 and the standoffs are 1/4" HDPE. The bottom opening exceeds the SAE specifications at 28x48mm. The standoffs permit the Scangauge plug to fit with the fusebox cover in place. The opening in the kick panel above the housing was opened up to permit the connector release mechanism to operate (Its shown in the opened position) and to access the outboard nut (farthest away and not visable in the top view pic below) holding the housing in place.

Attachments

Last edited:

WPJ

These are some photos of mine (kick panel is removed from the van and the OBD jack has been released from the housing in these pics).

The screws are #6 and the standoffs are 1/4" HDPE. The bottom opening exceeds the SAE specifications at 28x48mm. The standoffs permit the Scangauge plug to fit with the fusebox cover in place. The opening in the kick panel above the housing was opened up to permit the connector release mechanism to operate (Its shown in the opened position) and to access the outboard nut (farthest away and not visable in the top view pic below) holding the housing in place.
how do you like the bulldog?

I like the look of the screen but the cost is high....

I have the Scangauge II. I shopped the Bully Dog WatchDog and think it is pretty cool but one thing bothered me about it. I contacted Bully Dog about support for the '12 Sprinter since only thru '10 is listed and their response was 'maybe-sorta'. From what others have indicated since it does work OK. One thing I like about the SGII (although I have yet to figure out how to use it with the Sprinter for things like EGT) is the X-Gauge feature.

gary 32

07 ncv3 pv

After +-4 years of use, love it, gauges are real time with adj. brightness and color.
I usually monitor boost, #1egt probe, (there are 2 factory egt probes, no extra probes or kits required) coolant temp and load at the same time all on 1 screen.
Cheapest, in a quick google search was 205.65 shipped, but worth it, imho.
Have summit performance do a price match and buy it from them.

Last edited:

sailquik

George,
Did you ever consider how much you might come to depend on the ScanGauge II?
Do you really want to take you eyes completely off the road an look way up at the overhead console?
I have many many miles with a ScanGauge II and I've always mounted mine to the left of the arch over the
speedometer where I can keep one eye on the ScanGauge II and one eye on the road.
The supplied cable can be neatly tucked under the rubber flap that goes up the front of the door and onto the "A" pillar.
I'd wait until you have a few thousand miles of drive time before mounting the Scan Gauge II real permanently.
You need to be aware of the %LOD, RPMs and Speed at all times. That's what the Scan Gauge II does best,
it tells you how hard your entire drive train is working!
Roger

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
I used Scangauge in my previous F350 mounted an inch above the rear-view mirror and for my usage the location was fine. In the Sprinter the overhead is about 6-8" higher than the mirror so it is rather high, I agree. I could install it on the rear-view mirror bar, need to think about it. I am in the wiring phase and there are plenty of options. I am still trying to see what can I use in the future for the factory 1 Din location so can pre-wire it; I don't need a CB radio, a 7" GPS drop screen would be way too high - point well taken, the Espar Digi-Max thermostat doesn't fit there plus I am not sure this would be a good location for the temperature sensor, any ideas for pre-wiring are very welcome?

George.

WPJ

I was see a y adapter, it lets my ultra gauge stay plugged in even with the xentry/das/mb diag tools plug into the other port and all are happy.

I am going to wire the factory connect back unto place using the y,

hein

Van Guru
I unscrewed the ODBII plug from it's holder so I could close the fuse box cover. A Y adapter would be nice. Mounted the gauge as shown with some VHB tape and a 90 degree bracket made out of 1/16" ABS (easy to heat and bend). It's easy to see while driving but does interfere with raising the tilt wheel. I just leave that down all the time anyway.

GeorgeRa

Finally got to install my Scangauge 2 and E. And I'm pleased with both the result and the information the Scangauge provides. My economy is definitely going to improve heaps.
Nice setup, thanks for sharing.

George.

jg8888

Very helpful thread, thanks!

I think I'm going to try an Ultraguage instead for better visibility and price.

See this thread from the hypermiler community:

"But yeah if you're thinking about one for your wife or SO, I think it might perhaps be a better match for them than the SG-II. Better readability, compact and sleeker form factor, and maybe less complex or intimidating (except for the rebate part)."

“The UG is a better hypermiling tool than the SG, at roughly 1/3 the price."

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34321

pfflyer

I am wiring Scangauge II to the overhead console which has space for 1 Din size radio in my 2013 van. I found this OBD2 extension with very the low profile male plug and hope will not need to do any modification to the fuse box door. http://www.amazon.com/OBD-II-Female-Extension-Diagnostic-Extender/dp/B007PBHF8M

Did any one experimented with a low profile OBD II connector?

George.
I bought that same connector but the cord came out of the OBD part opposite of the picture so when connected the cord came out towards the driver instead of towards the firewall. To use it the cord would have to come out the fuse door. Amazon gave me full credit plus paid for next day delivery from another seller. The other sellers price was almost double but I am happy I don't have to modify the fuse door.

GeorgeRa

I bought that same connector but the cord came out of the OBD part opposite of the picture so when connected the cord came out towards the driver instead of towards the firewall. To use it the cord would have to come out the fuse door. Amazon gave me full credit plus paid for next day delivery from another seller. The other sellers price was almost double but I am happy I don't have to modify the fuse door.
I did not get one yet, so which one did you get? Thank you for sharing and sorry for the bad experience.

George.

Top Bottom