Hey how's this one look?

autostaretx

Erratic Member
It appears to have a *minimal* collection of options (it's got crank windows, pretty much blank secondary switch panel, etc).
You could take its VIN to a Dodge/MB dealer and get a print-out of the "data card" which lists all of the components which went into it
(such as rear end gear ratio, battery and alternator sizing, etc etc)
Original list price was about $24k. It's a 140 inch wheelbase (you can tell by the side window patterns)

Have a DAD, DRB-III, CarSoft or AutoEnginuity pull any existing problem codes to guess about needed work.
Get a CarFax on it. VIN: WD2PD644355736037

Note that it's a "short" (standard) roof, so it only has about 63 inch "headroom" in the back.
That's fine for me (i don't mind a bent neck) and my wife (she fits in it), but people who really want to Stand Up may be disappointed.

--dick

Last edited:

hppyfngy

'03 140 High Passenger
It appears to have a *minimal* collection of options (it's got crank windows, pretty much blank secondary switch panel, etc).
You could take its VIN to a Dodge/MB dealer and get a print-out of the "data card" which lists all of the components which went into it
(such as rear end gear ratio, battery and alternator sizing, etc etc)
Original list price was about $24k. It's a 140 inch wheelbase (you can tell by the side window patterns)

Have a DAD, DRB-III, CarSoft or AutoEnginuity pull any existing problem codes to guess about needed work.
Get a CarFax on it. VIN: WD2PD644355736037

Note that it's a "short" (standard) roof, so it only has about 63 inch "headroom" in the back.
That's fine for me (i don't mind a bent neck) and my wife (she fits in it), but people who really want to Stand Up may be disappointed.

--dick
Thanks Dick

Any insight on this one? I promise I won't keep doing this...:D: Just trying to get my feet wet...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007...Cars_Trucks&hash=item1e7184ae10#ht_500wt_1182

BTW, any comment on pricing of these? I know they're at dealerships so they're high, but within reason, considering?

Oh and I'm not squeamish about not having power windows and door locks and such. Less stuff to break!

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Any insight on this one? I promise I won't keep doing this... Just trying to get my feet wet...
Other than seeing that it's a 144" wheelbase (with one of the window options) and has the "convenience group" (power front windows, door locks, etc) and that it's the higher (not Mega) roof and that it's an NCV3... no insights.
At least with eBay you can easily get the CarFax/AutoCheck report.
It doesn't have cargo-area anchors for rear seating (if you want it), and the security panel may be a boon or bane, depending upon your usage.

BTW, any comment on pricing of these? I know they're at dealerships so they're high, but within reason, considering?
I don't consider either of them "high" (but i haven't been following Sprinter pricing).
Weeeeelllll... the first one was OK at $10k, maybe $12k was high (but depends upon individual vehicle quality).
I'd almost call this newer one "suspiciously low".

Oh and I'm not squeamish about not having power windows and door locks and such. Less stuff to break!
You didn't state your preference on roof height, rear access (bulkhead a pain) or seating configuration.
I have oodles of options because i "bought off the lot". Among the "wins" was the auxiliary heater with 7-day timer, and the $$$ paint job (which is apparently layered on top of the usual thin-skin... and anything that's "white" is thin-skin).

--dick

hppyfngy

'03 140 High Passenger
Other than seeing that it's a 144" wheelbase (with one of the window options) and has the "convenience group" (power front windows, door locks, etc) and that it's the higher (not Mega) roof and that it's an NCV3... no insights.
At least with eBay you can easily get the CarFax/AutoCheck report.
It doesn't have cargo-area anchors for rear seating (if you want it), and the security panel may be a boon or bane, depending upon your usage.

I don't consider either of them "high" (but i haven't been following Sprinter pricing).
Weeeeelllll... the first one was OK at $10k, maybe $12k was high (but depends upon individual vehicle quality).
I'd almost call this newer one "suspiciously low".

You didn't state your preference on roof height, rear access (bulkhead a pain) or seating configuration.
I have oodles of options because i "bought off the lot". Among the "wins" was the auxiliary heater with 7-day timer, and the $$$ paint job (which is apparently layered on top of the usual thin-skin... and anything that's "white" is thin-skin).

--dick
Thanks again Dick. My preference would be for a standard 140" or 144" model with the high roof but I would be fine with a low roof. Seating I'm not so particular about. Is the security panel difficult to remove? I don't want or need that...

I would build out the rear with some seating of sorts, but probably of my own making. What I want is basically a very basic RV with no amenities other than sleeping and storage areas. Might want to carry a small motorcycle inside. I want to tow a small camping trailer with it.

What is this aux heater with 7-day timer? And can I cool the entire vehicle with the dash unit or will I be looking at adding a roof unit? I could use a Fantastic Fan for ventilation when camping, don't really like AC that much anyway...

Randy

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Is the security panel difficult to remove?
There's a thread here somewhere on bulkhead removal (i think it was just "grind off all pop-rivets", but i wasn't paying much attention)

What is this aux heater with 7-day timer?
In T1Ns, the (pretty much standard in NAFTA) "booster heater" can/could be ordered in 3 flavors:
(A) booster: only thinks about bringing engine coolant up to 180F quickly. Turns off.
(B) Auxiliary: has switch on dash... when engine is running, will keep coolant at 180F.
(C) Aux with 7-day timer: Will run with engine off. Timer lets you program it to fire up XX minutes before you come out in the morning.
The engine coolant is what flows through the cabin heater cores, so boosters/auxiliaries thus warm the passengers.
Some option packages include another heater core under the cargo area, which (in theory) helps back there.

There are threads on rewiring (B) to allow operation with engine off. Heater burns about a cup of fuel per hour. Sounds like a muted jet engine (from the outside).

And can I cool the entire vehicle with the dash unit or will I be looking at adding a roof unit?
Remember that ACs only work when the engine is running. We avoid super-hot areas (ask again in three weeks), but the front AC is probably not adequate to keep the larger rear areas cool in hot (above 90F) weather.
Color of Sprinter has a major affect upon that... ours is a dark color, so warms up quite a bit in the sun. White/Silver would be cooler.
(i am informed that i shall someday install a FantasticFan...). Our side windows open, so we're not quite as sealed as most folks.

--dick

jmoller99

Own a DAD ODB2 Unit.
RE:And can I cool the entire vehicle with the dash unit or will I be looking at adding a roof unit?

My dash unit keeps the front 2 seats (driver/passenger) comfortable everywhere I have been (including 108 degrees in Las Vegas last July), but it does not cool the rest of the Sprinter very much. I have a Cargo Van that is un-insulated, so if you insulated yours, it would do a better job of cooling the whole van area.

There are roof mounted AC units from the factory - these usually have a separate AC compressor up front (and an extra belt for it).

What ever you do, don't leave your Diesel idling for hours on end - you'll find that this action tends to clog up the EGR valves (which can be cleaned manually if need be) - The EGR on a 2004 thru 2006 is self cleaning to a point, but can still get clogged up if you idle the engine all the time. If your EGR gets clogged up, you end up in Limp Home Mode, and may end up having to buy a new one (more that $400 for the T1Ns). There is an option for higher speed idling (or maybe you can just make up something that uses a brick to hold the accelerator pedal for you) that addresses this issue.

NOTE: I remove and clean my EGR valve every spring - the 2002 and 2003 Sprinter EGR Valves are not self cleaning, and tend to fail a lot if you don't make this extra effort. Its really not very hard to do, and I get at least a 2 mpg fuel economy improvement bump every time I do this - it slowly returns to normal mpg.

NOTE: All of the Diesel Sprinters have the same sorts of EGR issues. Some years are much more problematic than others (both on the T1N and NCV3) - you can read about it on the forum.

We camp in our Sprinter during the summer months. It has a very simple RV setup (fold out futon) and a porta-potti. My wife's handicap mobility gear take up about the same space as 2 motor cycles (in the back of the van) and each (she has 2) weighs between 250 and 350 lbs. It works well for this.

Last edited:

david_42

The ebay one is definitely a better deal and the security panel just unscrews along the edges. I suspect, though, the bidding will escalate out of your range.

I'd be more interested in the routine maintenance records. There aren't many major events.

Last edited:

hppyfngy

'03 140 High Passenger
Yes, as I look farther afield I'm getting a better handle on the market. I think I don't have to go over about 100-150k miles to get in my sub $15k price range.

It may be a diesel but other things wear out too.

Top Bottom