Antifreeze Change Experience NCV3 DRAINCOCK DRAIN PLUG location picture

franknj

Just changed my antifreeze for my 2008 Sprinter. Had a little trouble finding the draincock. It is on the driver's side lower back. It is not necessary to remove any parts to get to it. The draincock is plastic and you can open by hand by turning it left a little less than one full revolution. It turned easily. Do not try to remove it. The nipple right next to the draincock is small and is in a tight location. You need a very supple hose to get it on. It might kink some. I was able to get about 1.75 gallons of fluid out. I think there are 2.6 total gallons of fluid in the van. The fluid easily drained out of the reservoir as I emptied the radiator. I closed the draincock and filled with 1.75 gallons of distilled water and closed the reservoir cap. Ran the engine for a while to get it back up to operating temperature. As the engine heated up, the water in the reservoir started to turn color. Must be circulating all the time through the engine. It did not seem to move but must circulate. I ran the heater to ensure the water was running through the heater core. Waited for the engine to cool down and then drained again. I would have done a 2nd rinse drain cycle if I had more distilled water, but good enough. Then I added 1.2 gallons of pure Prestone Extended Life ALL Makes and Models antifreeze and the remainder distilled water. I checked on the properties of Prestone and found it was even better than the Xerex G05. It does not contain any silicates, which is what forms those nasty deposits. Zerex has some silicates. Prestone is OAT technology, Xerex is HOAT technology. I thin Zerex copied Prestone and added the "H" for Hybrid. Attached are some pictures. Do not add more than 50% antifreeze because antifreeze does not transfer heat well. Best to use distilled water so not to add in Calcium and silicates from tap water. Hard to get a good picture because of the tight space.

Attachments

Last edited:

franknj

I later checked the antifreeze strength with a 5 ball tester. I only had 3 balls floating, so I plan to drain some and add some more antifreeze. I wanted 4 balls floating for -34 protection. If I had to do this job again, I would add at least 1.5 gallons of antifreeze. There must be more than 2.6 gallons of fluid in the entire system. Anyone know the exact amount if you take the reservoir into account?

Last edited:

jdcaples

Not Suitable w/220v Gen
The total system is 10 liters, which is about 2.64 gallons

I think a pint (16 oz give or take a couple of ounces) fits in the reservoir.

-Jon

Top Bottom