Battery Draining

Truesh324

I have a 2006 Sprinter 2500. Just installed remanufactured alternator. Drove 1200 miles to CA from Denver, CO. No issues during trip, but now when van parked overnight, the battery is drained.

Warning beep (as if key left in ignition) is signaling when I open door.

Some threads I've read suggest it may be glow plug relay or glow plug module. Are these the same thing?

Also, sounds as if there is a switch clicking near battery. Sound stops if I disconnect wire labeled #5 which is among a group of 6 wires attached to the positive terminal of battery.

autostaretx

Erratic Member
Yes, the glow plug relay and module are the same thing. And they it's located near the battery.
(i haven't chased down fuse 5's destination yet)
Fuse 5 goes directly to the glow plug module.

The glow plug module is told to turn ON by a wire from the Engine control module (pin 2 of Connector 1).
That "told" may be a complex signal, instead of a simple "on" (go/no-go) voltage level.

--dick
added: you can download the 2006 service manual from here: http://aie-services-2.net/Sprinter/2006-VA-SM.pdf
(about 40 megabytes)

Last edited:

Truesh324

Thanks. I also read that I can disconnect the module as a short-term solution for the battery draining issue. The shop replaced all five glow plugs with new engine so I should be able to replace module without replacing plugs again correct?

Were I to want to disconnect my glow plug module temporarily I would remove the wire off the fuse block mounted on the battery. Either remove the fuse block assembly (10 mm wrench needed) or remove the negative cable to the battery before doing that though. Tape up the removed lug and let it hang. Good luck. vic

011MIDIfusesOffBattery.jpg

012FuseBlock#1wNotes.jpg

013FuseArrangementBlock1and TurnSignal.jpg

Last edited:

autostaretx

Erratic Member
I also read that I can disconnect the module as a short-term solution for the battery draining issue. The shop replaced all five glow plugs with new engine so I should be able to replace module without replacing plugs again correct?
Correct. For now you could just unplug the module.

You could even take this as an opportunity to install SurlyOldBill's externally-fused glow plug module.
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6935
and (more current)
https://sprinter-source.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12150

good luck
--dick

Truesh324

Thanks for the pics. I disconnected the #5 wire thinking I could simply leave it off. When I did though, I no longer had any power to the ignition. Was I wrong to think I could still run the van with this disconnected?

Were I to want to disconnect my glow plug module temporarily I would remove the wire off the fuse block mounted on the battery. Either remove the fuse block assembly (10 mm wrench needed) or remove the negative cable to the battery before doing that though. Tape up the removed lug and let it hang. Good luck. vic

View attachment 44671

View attachment 44673

View attachment 44672

Actually we were both wrong because I thought you would be OK. Sorry. I have no access to schematics now to check on why. Maybe later...
vic

Edit:

A quick look at my book info doesn't show any reason which I can see that would stop power to the ignition. There's a PWM signal shown related to the ECM, but I'd expect that to be an input to the GP module. Maybe it is a two way communication?

Not to insult you, but are you certain you disconnected the correct wire? Did you have no dash lights and other dash indications or just no crank?

Here's some basic info which should apply. Perhaps the full schematics will give more insight though?

118GlowPlugsWnotes.jpg

119GlowPlugs.jpg

120GlowPlugsWnotes.jpg

Last edited:

Truesh324

Hello again. I have replace the glow plug module and still have been having battery drain issues. I finally had a chance to get a multimeter and tested the system. It appears that I have some sort of draw from my new alternator.

Both the battery and the alternator test properly, but is it possible that I wired it incorrectly? I am trying to attach some photos.

Thanks

Top Bottom