Versa-Lift Motorcycle Carrier

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
Installed the Versa-Lift on my 2005 Sprinter based LTV Serenity RV. The motorcycle I have been trying to carry is just too heavy for conventional drive-on hitch mount racks. And the Sprinter is just too light weight for a monster lift like the CruiserLift, the HydraLift, the OverBuilt, or the Blue Ox SportsLift III.

There is the Mighty Hauler, which even has a Sprinter on their page but at 280 lbs. (what's that in liters?:thinking:) plus the weight of the bike it would just be too much for the single hitch attachment which is rated at 500 lbs. tongue weight. Their photos are all of the mid-length Sprinter so there isn't nearly as much overhang as my 23+ foot Serenity has.

I had been posting here for months looking for ideas. In the states it is pretty much just motorcycle trailers that people recommend. If you don't like the cost and space taking of a full covered or open trailer, there is trailer in a bag or the castor wheel trailers like the Sport Carrier II and the SwivelWheel models. You can flip up the trailer in the hitch when the bike is down to save campground space, but it's still a trailer and may require licensing and storage. They also hang way far off the back, so you are driving a convoy down the highway.

There are some French and British designs that keep the bike level while keeping it tight against the back of the RV, like my favorite the Hydra Trail. These allow you to load the bike from the curb and castor wheels allow them to follow your direction of travel yet they don't add much more than a few feet on the back to watch while driving. You do still have an additional axel to worry about when going thru toll booths or onto ferries. Also, they won't export to the US, don't have insurance to cover any problems with the design.

There is the explosion of hitch mounts that hold the front tire while you tow the bike on it's own back tire. Nice, but it will jack knife on ya so don't back up and you are stressing the rear tire. I am trying to tow an electric bike and while one of these under $200 units would be great for emergencies, it seemed to constantly run the electric motor thru the transmission w/o the computer driving the bike would do damage. I could not get the vendor (Vectrix) to comment pro or con.

Then I came across the VersaLift which others were selling on their storefronts but I didn't see any reviews. I called and was subjected to questioning by the manufacturer about my intended use, apparently people hook these to weaker vehicles and tow full dress cycles and break frames. The lift claims to be just 75 lbs so I could unhitch and move it myself, and added to the bike weight is JUST over the tongue weight. The lift takes the bike up off the ground, then you slide in these two additional steel bars (porting tubes) into additional receivers you mount to the vehicle and then lower it back down so all three receivers are holding the bike up.

She sent me pictures... moto-lift 009.jpg moto-lift 026.jpg moto-lift 030.jpg moto-lift 033.jpg moto-lift 074.jpg

...and off to find the local fabricator and he said much of his work was people trying to attach things to their vehicle they were not originally designed to take. I explained what I was trying to do and he said he could fabricate whatever I needed. He looked at how the hitch was bolted to an extension of the frame and thought it would be pretty easy to install. I think the LTV was a particularly easy fit as it comes with the airbags in the back for extra load carrying capacity, and it has the two 36 gallon waste tanks back there that I just need to keep empty when traveling with the bike. Also easy to get to, as mine is the Serenity that got hit by the local garbage truck, the fiberglass bumper was knocked off and has still not been replaced as the local dealer (La Mesa) flaked.

So I ordered the lift and a couple of weeks later (apparently a bunch of orders came in after my initial call and posting here) it showed up. The time at the fabricators was pretty short, he welded the two receivers that came with the lift just below the bumper but way above the hitch receiver. This gave travel to the ground and lift to the porting tubes in the two feet of travel the lift has. Still could drag, as the item sticks out a ways. He did have to drill another hole in the lift to get it as high as he did, most RVs have their hitch higher... He welded on support structures that make the whole hitch much stronger, fortunately he did not weld the whole thing in place, which I was afraid he might do. If I get hit and the hitch destroyed it can still be unbolted, not cut away from the frame. I did have to sacrifice the tube that holds my dump hose, but I intend to get a macerator pump for back there anyway when I get to Manitoba, Canada to get the damage from the garbage truck repaired.

Yesterday I got the chance to hitch everything up and roll the bike onto the lift. It has a wheel chock that grabs the bike and keeps it upright. The lift easily took my bike up after I tied it down. Still don't have it wired, but temporarily I am using a long wire run to the battery to operate the motor, eventually it will be wired into the trunk and I will take the motor out to raise and lower, and put it away when traveling. The motor is not in the photos but it is at the top of the shaft when operating. I added the porting tubes and tied the bike down there too and drove around the block. Discovered that the bike had freed itself of the tie-downs, when it bounced they came off. Glad for the wheel chock, it was the only thing keeping me in place. Discovered the attachment points on the bike for next time, also discovered self tightening straps, I'll use those before I hitch it up again, I'll post some photos of the work when I get it up there again all strapped down. Too bad I don't have the fiberglass bumper to make it look good, but at least I got it done before they go to put it back so they can run holes thru to the receivers now.

The best part, it folds up when the bike is down and can store it there or travel like that, so I don't have to put it away to drive the RV after removing the bike... The worst part was the cost, if I keep this RV for the next 20 years like I plan, shouldn't be a big deal, but at the moment, the $1500 (free shipping) for the lift and the $400 for the modifications make this one of the biggest non-home or vehicle purchases I have ever bought. OK, the HDTV was more, but I get more use out of it.

-Randy

Last edited:

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
Additionally I purchased base plates for my Honda Insight, my 1600 lb. aluminum hybrid, from Blue Ox and the local dealer hooked them up and wired the cars lights in. This allows me to tow the car with the RV, so I purchased the Blue Ox Aladdin tow bar used on craigslist and the day I was taking the Sprinter to the fabricator was the first time getting to use the tow bar. If I could use both the hitch and the lift at the same time I could take my whole household on the road. This too was expensive, $1000 just for the baseplate and install, but it works great. Can't decide which I will take, if any, to Canada. If they can do the work quickly it may be worth staying until they finish. It would be good to have a car or motorcycle to get around with.

Feeling like a real motorhome enthusiast now, only in miniature, so I get the good MPG.

-Randy

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
OK, so I finally had a blow out on the freeway giving me the excuse I needed to hitch up the hitch mount motorcycle lift and get some pictures:

IMG_2942.jpg
If you don't remember I have been whining about wanting to take the HUGE electric motorcycle I own with me instead of towing something. Small motorhome, small Toad. This is the solution I came up with, and my hopes are it doesn't drop the bike on the freeway or break the frame of the Sprinter.

[Yes, I am flying the flag of the United Federation of Planets, I'm a nerd]

IMG_2948.jpg
The reason I can lift and carry a 400+ lb. bike is because the lift lowers back down onto multiple receivers, called Porting Tubes by the manufacturer. Here you see the tie down points on the tubes as well as the hitch entrance for the lift.

[My rear bumper was forcibly removed by a garbage truck and I am still waiting for it to be repaired, only been 8 months so far (thanks La Mesa RV), so good time to modify the rear hitch]

IMG_2951.jpg
The lift came with two additional receivers that needed to be welded in, coming out just below the metal bumper. You can see he also reinforced the hitch with a large side piece or two.

IMG_2958.jpg
When the bike is lowered after the straps and porting tubes have been removed it remains upright sitting in the front wheel chock. Although the bike is leaning it seems secure enough to take hands free photos of. It is now on the ground and able to be ridden out of the lift.

IMG_2964.jpg
The electric motor is able to easily lift the bike high enough to get over most driveways as you see I did bringing this guy home from where I got the flat. It is removable so you don't need to leave it out in the rain, my long term goal is to wire it into the trunk of the Serenity.

-Randy

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
IMG_2962.jpg
Front wheel chock so you can ride the bike in and strap down, at the destination un-strap and ride the bike out.

IMG_2961.jpg
What it looks like in the down position

IMG_2966.jpg
Empty lift

IMG_2972.jpg
Once the bike is removed if you need to drive around you can simply fold the lift against the body and drive away without the bike. The motor doesn't have to stay mounted as it is in the photo but it can as it has hex screws to secure it.

IMG_2977.jpg
The entire thing fits in the trunk of the Serenity RV except for the bed or rail which I lean against the side of the house when not in use.

-Randy

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
Oh, and a hint if you follow in my footsteps, when she tells you that all her support calls are because the unit has no ground, listen to her. The motor-head comes with no ground wire. Supposed to ground thru the body, but most hitches are painted so where is your connectivity now. I just unscrewed one of the bottom screws and put a wire around it and ran that to ground and the motor started turning like a champ.

-Randy

Very nice Write-up. Lots of good information.

I share your concern about the weight on the hitch even with the extra support welded in. The 500# tongue weight number is rated using the position of the trailer ball for calculations. The trailer ball is typically only inches from the receiver. Any motorcycle or other carrier is extended out way past that point and has much more leverage.

It is not the static weight, but the dynamic loads which will get you. In your pictures it looks to me like there may be an opportunity to attach to the center support strap and take a strap or three part nylon line up to the roof area to help stabilize the bike from bouncing too much. Someone would need to assess whether that frame piece is up to the task and whether there is a way to provide a top anchor point, but I would suggest exploring that possibility.

I have many varied straps which I carry. I find them on the side of the road because they fell off something they were holding. When I really care about securing loads I use good quality line and proper knots. Were I you I would get some good nylon or dacron line and throw a couple loops around the bottom of the wheels and the frame. You can tie it using a double bow knot like your Mom used to tie your sneakers. That way if the straps let go you have something to keep the bike on the frame. The line should not damage the finish on your wheels.

Have fun with your new toy. vic

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
There are several kinds of straps. I hauled many loads of SS bottle conveyors on a 6' x 12' flatbed trailer using straps. I have some older ones that have a cotton type strap that is not slick like nylon. The cotton ones hold much better with vibration. The slick "nylon" ones will loosen. Normal routine was to drive for about an hour and stop to check and tighten the straps. The final 3 hours was run without stopping. Try to find straps with softer/non slick strap material. I kept looking but did not find them again.

Peter_C

If you want good quality tie downs look for the brand Ancra. They are the best I have seen with thicker nylon material, heavier duty aka thicker hooks, and function perfectly. I have 4 of the regular pull type tie downs, and 2 of the ratcheting type, I used to tie my motorcycle down to a receiver hitch rack. They can be found on Ebay.

larrygee

I realize this is an old thread but I read it with interest as I am looking at buying a 2010 2500. Motorcycling is an integral part of my adventure and the ability to hang a bike off the rear hitch is important. I'd rather not pull the bike on a trailer because it defeats the primary advantage of a class b.... mobility !

I just can't believe this vehicle doesn't have the sub structure to support a bike. At this point I may have to start looking at the E350 van conversions like the pleasure ways, which have beefier frames to support the weight...

What a shame.... I liked the Sprinters....

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
Yeah, they are great, get great milage and thus not very much steel is involved. Cannot wait to see if this becomes a problem for me in the long run.

-Randy

larrygee

OK. I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to update. I did in fact wind up buying a 2500 sprinter. I've been trying to figure out how to get a single rail motorcycle carrier, similar to Randy's, but not at that price point.

Besides, I already had a single rail carrier that I use for my dirt bikes and the Suburban.

I've had to reach a compromise. I've concluded that I really can't hang 500 pounds off the back of my hitch. Aqua is correct when he says the vertical limit is at the hitch opening. Curt hitches has a formula that tells you how much weight capacity you lose for every inch that you extend beyond the hitch opening.

With my single rail trailer, by total maximum load could not exceed 280 pounds. I am going to replace the stock receiver with a class III, 6000 pound, 600 vertical limit receiver. And, I am going to have support steel braces, welded to the connecting arms.

The compromise is this....

The Zuma Weighs in at 250 pounds and will get us from the campsite to the local grocery store, local sites and restaurants without a problem.

If I need to take my bigger bikes to do some serious off-road riding, then I am just going to have to tow the trailer behind me.

We'll see.

Attachments

calbiker

I carry a Yamaha XT225 on the back hitch of my Winnebago Navion. The cycle been on there for about 50k miles now without any problems. I did add two 1 1/4" hitches to help stabilize the carrier. I love that bike.

Newly added 1 1/4" hitch.

The carrier is from add-a-bike.

Cal

mean_in_green

>2,000,000m in MB vans
Amazingly I stumbled on a dozen Ancra straps here in the UK about twenty years ago. They came out of a container from the USA. I still use them almost daily, they're the buckle type which I find perfect for most uses

larrygee

I carry a Yamaha XT225 on the back hitch of my Winnebago Navion. The cycle been on there for about 50k miles now without any problems. I did add two 1 1/4" hitches to help stabilize the carrier. I love that bike.

Newly added 1 1/4" hitch.

The carrier is from add-a-bike.

Cal
I don't know if the Navigon has better capacities. The case of the ERA, the interior build out pushes the limits of the gross available weight, which has a lot to do with how much you can put on that tongue.

I think those additional supports ( hitches) are a good idea and I will have to look into that again.

in the meanwhile, I also have a 2008 XT 250 and it's for sale! So, if you know anyone is interested, let me know.

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
Yeah, part of the secret of my expensive unit is the two additional receiver hitches like Cal has added. Mine are welded on, his appear to be bolted, but BOTH of us have 6 tires on the ground, the ERA from 2010 only has 4. That is a LOT more scary. I had been looking at a front hitch on my Sprinter 2500 based Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser before I got the LTV Serenity. The back of the Sprinter sticks out way past the axel and that Curt hitch calculator you referenced shows you how much that is adding to your usage. Seems like quite a tough problem to get much more than a bicycle hitched to the outside. Perhaps it would be best to weigh your Era's 4 wheels with the RV averagely loaded and go to a hitch place and see what they can fab for you, front or back as they weighings reveal where you have capacity.

I am surely over capacity, but I am not putting 50K with the bike on the back (yet). Plan to be very cautious with it, taking it when I think I will need it. I also have a car tow bar that I can easily bring my car with, so much of my driving will include a car or nothing, as the Sprinter goes to the grocery store pretty easily too.

-Randy

NBB

I just bought:

http://www.bosstruckaccessories.com/motorcyclecarrier.html

...and now have 3 trips over I70 with it and a drive on 40 miles of crappy road to the Maze entrance as well. I'm holding a Yamaha WR250R - ~300 lbs.

It works great. It does NOT rock left to right. NO need for extra stabilizing structures other than the factory hitch. There is some bounce forward and backward (up/down), as you would expect with 300 lbs on the end of a 2" diving board - all well to the rear of the back wheels - but it's not an issue. There's no slop, just pure bending. I wrap a large towel around the handlebar end, in case it hits the window on a large bump, but that hasn't happened yet and there have been many large bumps. Overall, I'm very happy with it.

israndy

2007 LTV Serenity
I am happy that I purchased it so I own a lift, but I have not been running around the country with my motorcycle on the back, my bike is VERY heavy and the Sprinter is very light. I am very comfortable to run with it back there for short trips, and it is an incredible product that I will likely attach to a bigger RV in the future (gonna do a year in an RV trip when we retire). It has given me options for taking the bike in for service that I didn't have, but I think I will use it more when I get a lighter bike. Thinking about converting it to LiFePO4 batteries as the technology improves, lighten the bike I have.

I do love that left to right support that the Versa-Lift has, the bike isn't trying to twist in the hitch, but I think I might have been happier if I had found a US manufacturer of a sideways mounted trailer or even a swivel caster wheel trailer
Screen Shot 2014-01-15 at 8.10.51 AM.png

I was trying to avoid another axel it allows me to toll bridge or ferry cross w/o issue as everything is on my wheels, and it is also super easy to park. And I can break it down and put the lift inside, or flip it up as mounted when not in use. A trailer would just be one more thing in the yard.

-Randy

Top Bottom