Rear Differential gear oil change

lightwave

After reading the thread on gear oil I thought i'd change my rear end.
I had my rear bearings replaced 30,000 miles ago and freightliner changed the rear oil
at the same time. So I felt that it probably isn't needed yet but it was a nice day.
These are the tools I used
1/2 inch Torx socket T70. breaker bar (just in case)
Glass drip coffee pot
turkey baster
SAE 90 gear oil, new fill plug. Gasket( part 1-05103574AA) just in case

Drain plug came off normally
Surprise to find the oil black as coffee. Used the baster to flush the case a few times.No chunks. The same silvery sediment that was in the transmission pan when I changed it.
Only problem was access to flush and add oil. Next time I'll remove the spare tire.
Remember to return the coffee pot and baster to kitchen

Attachments

Heads up! Your profile says you have an '06 sprinter. Those rear diffs take 75W-140 Full synthetic Rear axle lubricant. They also have a 100,000 mile service interval. If you have the 90 weight that isn't full synthetic, I wouldn't run it more that 15,000 mi. Just my :2cents:

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Oil is not as black as you would think it is. as it can be neutralized
to find contaminates such as metal or plastic composites. OM Oil lasted almost seven years due to a weeping rear pinion seal.careful inspection reveled it was still clear but age and contaminates ,well it just looked black .
oildiff 003 (Custom).JPG
oildiff 015 (Custom).JPG
oildiff 002 (Custom).JPG
diff2 003 (Custom).JPG
Altered State Communications Hypoid oils trans and diff copy.jpg
Of course the original 0EM hypoid fluid oils are not available at your local Benz outlets.
Richard

sailquik

Curious Sprinter Tech,
Are you sure about this?
Here's a photo of the MOPAR Rear Differential Fluid most recommended for '02-'06 T1N Sprinters:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPRINTER-AXLE-DIFFERENTIAL-LUBRICANT-OIL-MOPAR-OEM-/330355238354
You can see that it says "Sprinter" right on the label!

For the later NCV3 Sprinters (906 series NAFTA) the MB BEVO 231.2 Page 2 says
for 906 (NAFTA Sprinters to use MB BEVO 235.8!

Here's a link:
http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/235.8_en.html
No where in all of this MB official information can I find any reference to
"75W-140 synthetic Gear oil".
All of the above indicates 75W-90 synthetic hypoid oil or 90W hypoind gear oil.
The MOPAR product may not be synthetic as it carries no MB approval number, but
it was recommended lube for Dodge T1N Sprinters ('02-'06) and used by most knowledgeable
Dodge Sprinter dealers.
The later NCV3 Sprinters (906) all need "synthetic 75W-90.
Hope this helps,
Roger

Altered Sprinter

Happy Little Vegemite
Curious Sprinter Tech,
Are you sure about this?
Here's a photo of the MOPAR Rear Differential Fluid most recommended for '02-'06 T1N Sprinters:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPRINTER-AXLE-DIFFERENTIAL-LUBRICANT-OIL-MOPAR-OEM-/330355238354
You can see that it says "Sprinter" right on the label!

For the later NCV3 Sprinters (906 series NAFTA) the MB BEVO 231.2 Page 2 says
for 906 (NAFTA Sprinters to use MB BEVO 235.8!

Here's a link:
http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/235.8_en.html
No where in all of this MB official information can I find any reference to
"75W-140 synthetic Gear oil".
All of the above indicates 75W-90 synthetic hypoid oil or 90W hypoind gear oil.
The MOPAR product may not be synthetic as it carries no MB approval number, but
it was recommended lube for Dodge T1N Sprinters ('02-'06) and used by most knowledgeable
Dodge Sprinter dealers.
The later NCV3 Sprinters (906) all need "synthetic 75W-90.
Hope this helps,
Roger
Rodger your right, but the problem is at your end getting the official oils , so others on the forum came up to the '75W-140' varinat of which was never warranted by Benz on Sprinter,at least on a hypoid oil, and there are no 4x4 sprinters sold stateside.

Consider the fact as it's only with warranty, 'after that anything goes'. MB certificated oils are more expensive as to being licensed on a yearly ACEA standard Mercedes approves an oil U.S oils claim to meet a MB- oil NAFTA that's the difference, if it aint on the list it's not a certificated oil with Bevo and there are long and short term risks associated with the wrong oils placed in a differential or transmissions." Your vans are notorious to have proven documented blown diffs and transmissions''. And it's not an issue anywhere else as to the sheer volume of continuous problematic issues, you keep on getting with the vans. as proven with transmission oils very dodgy and proven convictions followed, just a slap on the wrist and another small fine that mostly never gets paid , as quickly and mysteriously those companies change hands.
Even in Australia the differential oils has never ever been bought in from Europe as a 44 gallon drum costs MB over 1300 hundred Australian so we use a documented 'Bevo' oil that is certificated by Benz such as Liqui MOLY or Fuch's oils from GERMANY
It's an educational thing:professor: but the American influence changes the accepted norm, that is the international standard with the rest of the globe trotting Sprinterette's
View attachment liquidjune06star_593[1].pdf
The above pdf is where dealers play the game and use stock not always ! but how do you know? what's going into your Sprinters at the dealers lot.

Contaminates build over time as to the MB Daimler AG That stated transmissions sealed for life??? that was misinterpreted by CHRYSLER as all autos did have the option for a transmission dip stick as the directive clearly 100% stated ''LIMITED LIFE SPAN'' hence read the documentation provided by Benz proper on the commercial van of operating fluids, not sedans that were manufactured in the USA.

It will come back and bite you in the end if an owner on a DIY that selects the incorrect oil, or when the dealership gets it wrong.

DSC02307 (Custom).JPG

DSC02310 (Custom).JPG

oildiff 007 (Custom).JPG
Richard

talkinghorse43

Heads up! Your profile says you have an '06 sprinter. Those rear diffs take 75W-140 Full synthetic Rear axle lubricant. They also have a 100,000 mile service interval. If you have the 90 weight that isn't full synthetic, I wouldn't run it more that 15,000 mi. Just my :2cents:
The '03 service manual does indeed specify 75w140 synthetic (I used it until the last change), but currently, MB (on BeVo) does NOT recommend it. For example, my Sprinter is a model 903 with a 741.408 rear axle and BeVo says gear oils approved to MB specs 235.0, 235.6, and 235.8 are OK for me. Right now, I have Mobil Delvac 75w90 full synthetic in there and it's MB235.8 approved.

Last edited:

pdxkid

currently vanless :-(
Now I'm really confused. Why can't this be easy, like with my Tacoma? I'm getting ready to perform this service, mainly for peace of mind, at about 77,000 miles. WHAT GEAR OIL DO I USE??? Sorry for yelling. Please and thank you.

Simply go into an autoparts store/Wallyworld and purchase 3 qrt bottles 75/90 Mobil 1 SYNTHETIC gear oil [#104361] and then it will be like a Tacoma.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/MOBIL-10...93696&wl11=online&wl12=40905568&wl13=&veh=sem
Dun Dun and Done
Dennis
:eek:

For those who may care.

That sh*t ain't listed on MB BeVo.

Specifications and Approvals
API GL-5

Personally I would use it without question. Except I got the MB approved stuff at Camping World.

vic

Last edited:

pdxkid

currently vanless :-(
@ Aqua Puttana let the re confusion begin! I've always appreciated and respected both yours and @lindenengineering opinions and posts and knowledge. Your last post leaves me confused. Can you please clarify what you were referring to?

... Can you please clarify what you were referring to?
Mercedes has the official BeVo listing of tested and approved fluids. Some owners and members here are adamant that those are the only fluids worthy of being poured into a Sprinter.

The BeVo site.

https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/bevo-sheets-sort1.html

Don't be confused.

Lindenengineering Dennis most often recommends Mercedes specific fluids and parts. My above comment was mostly a poke at him to rattle his cage.

In my mind there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Mobil synthetic gear lube he suggested. (It really isn't listed on BeVo though.)

I like this comment.

The "book" says it's ok to substitute 90W GL5 that also meets MIL something. Apparently MBZ is not overly concerned, which is considerate of them, since they approve about 2 fluids that you can almost buy off the shelf somewhere other than a dealer here in the US of A.
:cheers: vic

P.S. - I'm not certain that even Camping World stocks the MB approved Mobil Delvac 75w-90 anymore.

ADDED:
The data in this thread is worth reviewing. It may help you make a decision as to what differential fluid to use.

Differential Rear End and other Fluid History
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71681

Last edited:
Great price, arrived quickly in a large well packed box. It is on the Bevo list.

https://www.amazon.com/Mobil-Delvac...r=8-1&keywords=mobil+delvac+1+gear+oil+75w-90
Did a rear dif oil change yesterday using this fluid (thanks again TooMuchHair, great price!)

*For those intimidated by DIY this maintenance I'd like to add, this takes a very short time, T1N is plenty high so I used no ramps/jacks and there also is plenty of room for access to pour new oil into funnel.

Simply take a piece of hose and attach it to funnel (make sure everything is clean!), poured oil from gallon container to a smaller container to make filling easier and mess free.

If not in a hurry, here's the 14mm hex (only tool needed) for $4.50 shipped: https://www.ebay.com/itm/291644403946?var=590677898127 or buy the entire set at Harbor Freight (remember 20% off coupon): https://www.harborfreight.com/9-piece-38-and-12-drive-metric-hex-bit-socket-set-67880.html *No need for expensive name brand tools... save the funds for if/when/hopefully never the T1N needs a part that the price makes your jaw drop! ;)

Last edited:

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
It might be worth sticking a magnet to the outside of the diff cover, near the bottom side, away from the ring gear. Just make sure to clean it on your next change.

B

billintomahawk

I'm looking at a diff oil change on my '02 Freightliner.

Just out of curiosity when did 75w/90 synthetic become 75w/140 synthetic?

bill in tomahawk

Last edited by a moderator:
One suggestion:

LOOSEN or REMOVE the FILL PLUG 1st

If its frozen, now is the time to find out, not after you've dumped all of the oil out. :thumbup:

Top Bottom