Layout plan.

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
The conversion has ended but improvements will continue. One of our objectives was to maximize daytime living space, but the tradeoff was sofa bed resulting in night bed preparation. Changing from sofa to bed and back takes seconds, but deploying the bedding was a longer task. So here is the recent improvement, quick deployment of the very comfortable 2” mattress topper. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072JMJ7LJ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It is permanently attached to the headboard constructed from ¾” aluminum tent pole tubes. To deploy just unsnap 3 straps and roll out.

I also added a custom storage box with removable lid behind the passenger seat, overkill construction but I used on hand material.

On the passenger side of the sofa bed picture you can see awning crank mount, I can remove it standing outside, love it, also recent improvement.

Attachments

Last edited:

theDangerz

http://www.ZENVANZ.com
The conversion has ended but improvements will continue. One of our objectives was to maximize daytime living space, but the tradeoff was sofa bed resulting in night bed preparation. Changing from sofa to bed and back takes seconds, but deploying the bedding was a longer task. So here is the recent improvement, quick deployment of the very comfortable 2” mattress topper. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B072JMJ7LJ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 It is permanently attached to the headboard constructed from ¾” aluminum tent pole tubes. To deploy just unsnap 3 straps and roll out.

I also added a custom storage box with removable lid behind the passenger seat, overkill construction but I used on hand material.

On the passenger side of the sofa bed picture you can see awning crank mount, I can remove it standing outside, love it, also recent improvement.
Genius (as always)!
It’s funny how our plans/logic changed from our first van to second around bed setup... we thought going in that social/entertaining space was the most important thing and that it would be worth folding/unfolding the bed.

Took maybe 2 months of living/traveling in the van full time to realize the mistake and when drawings for the current van started a full time bed was a given.
When it really comes down to it entertaining usually happens outside the van and a good nights sleep is key to making this a true long term solution. Not having to unfold/setup bedding has been huge for us and having the ability to have the same 9” thick mattress we would use (even if we lived in the house) even more so! :snore:

GeorgeRa

Genius (as always)!
It’s funny how our plans/logic changed from our first van to second around bed setup... we thought going in that social/entertaining space was the most important thing and that it would be worth folding/unfolding the bed.

Took maybe 2 months of living/traveling in the van full time to realize the mistake and when drawings for the current van started a full time bed was a given.
When it really comes down to it entertaining usually happens outside the van and a good nights sleep is key to making this a true long term solution. Not having to unfold/setup bedding has been huge for us and having the ability to have the same 9” thick mattress we would use (even if we lived in the house) even more so! :snore:
Thank you,

I agree that requirement for living space for entertaining values is really limited, indeed, it happens outside unless bad weather. If I would do a next one I would likely pick the same, Westfalia like layout on 144” WB van. Longer van – perhaps not the same layout.

Additional attributes for sofa/bed:
1. While on the road comfortable seating on the sofa with quickly deployable table gives us a perfect place for a meal while having enough space to access the galley.
2. On the road we can take naps on the sofa with bend knees and a pillow and for the second person 180 deg. rotated passenger seat. Perfect for 2.
3. Easy access to overhead and lower cabinets, no walking on the knees to reach rear cabinets.

Have we had a longer van we would likely select a different layout, perhaps à la Travato.

GeorgeRa

Knocking down the task list continues. Most of my cabinet doors were done by Hein on his CNC machine, the remaining task was for me to adjust the hinge offset, see the drawing. Routing off ¼” will make doors better aligned with the frame, for me this misalignment was an eyesore. I made a jig to simplify the routing task.

Attachments

GeorgeRa

Work in progress, installing the front swiveled chairs table. It could be easier to get it done as I was working on the galley, but, I didn’t. These 2 10 series braces for the front galley posts with some shims should make a strong table post assembly, I could dance on the table, but, I am retired.

Attachments

GeorgeRa

My Espar Hydronic D5 / Isotemp Marine water heater works great but it developed a small leak at the D5. At first I thought the leak was between water pump and the D5 body O-ring(s) but it was just a bad hose clamp. The clamp was not fully round but stiff so tightening didn’t help. A new West Marine cured it.

While at it I added a brass ¾” T with the air purge valve, works great, did purges 3 times and at the 3rd time there was no air coming out.

Most of my hose clamps were done using Oetiker and they were absolutely trouble free. A regular screw type hose clamps I only used on items which could require removal. Great tool for Oetiker as well as for PEX is Apollo from Lowes.

Going through some air purging issue through installation was not too easy but the system works beautifully, D5 gives us hot water anywhere, Isotemp gives us instant hot water at the faucet in 3 sec.

Attachments

Midwestdrifter

Engineer In Residence
I had exactly the same problem with screw hose clamps on my D5. Part of the issue is that the barbs shank needs to be large enough to get a good stretch on the hose. Sadly we don't have the sourcing options as OEMs do. I have fixed mine on the road using a sheet of 1/8" neoprene rubber under the hose clamp. It is enough give to create even clamping pressure. In the future I may try to source some good quality spring clamps, as they are the best of both worlds.

GeorgeRa

All major items knocked off the final to do list. We didn’t have a table for front seats, now we have. Easy to store, erect and it swivels for an easy access. Lagun is a high-quality table stand. The table size was a tradeoff between maximum size and easy storage.

Attachments

theDangerz

http://www.ZENVANZ.com
All major items knocked off the final to do list. We didn’t have a table for front seats, now we have. Easy to store, erect and it swivels for an easy access. Lagun is a high-quality table stand. The table size was a tradeoff between maximum size and easy storage.
We've been trying to find the perfect table for our Lagun as well and ending up in pretty much the same location. So far really happy with the table, great quality and versatile, without having to make it ourselves! :thumbup:

Hi George- do you have a source for the 3/4” T purge valve? Looks like an awesome find. I’d like to install one or even two as I do my install. Seems like it would be a good thing to have at high points along the coolant line paths.

Thanks! Your build looks great as always!

GeorgeRa

Holding strap done, the table is out of the way and I still have room for gadgets behind the driver seat.

Attachments

Roodster

Always worries me that securing straps & their plastic buckles won't be strong enough in case of an accident, having said that, my Brompton bike, plastic tubs etc are securely fixed with these, should be the least of my problems in a head on, Just me being paranoid I suppose.

GeorgeRa

Always worries me that securing straps & their plastic buckles won't be strong enough in case of an accident, having said that, my Brompton bike, plastic tubs etc are securely fixed with these, should be the least of my problems in a head on, Just me being paranoid I suppose.
The weakest point on this strap is the plastic quick disconnect buckle with 67 lbs. working limit and 200 lbs. breaking strength, the table is about a few pounds, I think this is OK.

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
The weakest point on this strap is the plastic quick disconnect buckle with 67 lbs. working limit and 200 lbs. breaking strength, the table is about a few pounds, I think this is OK.
Unless you are on the road, there is not much of a problem. :bounce:

Go pack your bags!

Top Bottom