Layout plan.

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB, Portland OR
I am working on multiple left over things to finish the van. The “To do” list is about one page long. The swing/flip table is almost complete and tested, the projector mount design is finished and material ordered (it will be based on 25-2514 profile http://www.amazon.com/80-20-25-2514-T-Slotted-Extrusion/dp/B001F0K4QO and this slider http://catalogs.8020.net/guide/80-20_Inc_Product_Catalog/879.php), the rock & roll sofa bed headboard/storage is designed and material ordered. The front windshield on windows will snap on the permanently attached tent pole tubes which are ordered.

One of the item on the list was adding a fan to the electrical cabinet. I was contemplating if the fan should be powered by 12V or 120V, the shore or shore/inverter circuit, thermostatically controlled or not. Decided on 120V/shore/inverter thermostatically controlled and ordered this unit 52 CFM, 23 dba, 0.84W ball bearings unit: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QFWLGPU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

George.

Attachments

d_bertko

I'm usually not content with anything in my van that only has one job to do. My electrical box is adjacent to the d2 furnace so I suck the inside air through the electrical box. The Espar allows for a "fan only" setting and that gives me extra cooling for the inverter/charger in hot weather. The d2 fan is good quality and I'm pretty sensitive to noise levels.

Likely not worth the extra ducting air pressure load if the furnace is far from the electrical box. My midship furnace layout was convenient for this tweak.

I'll be interested in the daylight limitations of your led projector. We pay for the blue-ray netflix option for whatever movies are worth viewing at that resolution/color depth.

Trying to hold out for a 4k led projector---likely to be used in the van and at home. The current incandescent projector has visited friends homes for things like 160" wall projection for Superbowl parties.

Of course there is a little more motivation when the Patriots are your home team.:cheers:

Dan

GeorgeRa

I'm usually not content with anything in my van that only has one job to do. My electrical box is adjacent to the d2 furnace so I suck the inside air through the electrical box. The Espar allows for a "fan only" setting and that gives me extra cooling for the inverter/charger in hot weather. The d2 fan is good quality and I'm pretty sensitive to noise levels.

Likely not worth the extra ducting air pressure load if the furnace is far from the electrical box. My midship furnace layout was convenient for this tweak.
I like your cooling a lot and did not know that D2 has fan only option. In my case electric cabinet and D2 are on the opposite ends.

I'll be interested in the daylight limitations of your led projector. ……
Dan
I tested the projector at home on the 35” screen during daylight with open windows, there is no issue with sufficient brightness. One think I don’t like about the projector is lack of zoom so reasonably precise set-up, 39.75” distance, is needed or, as chromisdesigns mentioned, use slides which I am using. I think most of lower price projectors don’t have zoom these days.

The projector with its mount reduces headroom clearance by 3 3/8” so having the projector moved away will eliminate head bumps. For travel the projector and screen will be moved on slides to the back of the van.

George.

Attachments

hein

Van Guru
Nice design for inside viewing. An outside mount with a screen hanging from the awning could be nice way to share a movie with some guests.

d_bertko

Indeed, I would keep everything portable. The projector is so light and for night time outdoor use it a magnet'd white sheet would make a fine screen.

My group camping is typically full of GoPro types and there is usually well-edited video by dark. Running whitewater badly is immensely more entertaining than making it look too easy. We did a Chattooga run that had half the campground pulling up chairs and falling off them laughing.

The projector rule of thumb is for the viewer to sit about 1.5x the screen diagonal. But we find that is subjective and prefer maybe 1.1x the diagonal size. Feels more immersive to my tastes.

Likely that Sony or Google or Apple or one of those types will have $200 3d goggles by the time the led projector dies. Since we often travel for many weeks at a time inside our tiny space a set of goggle/headphones that shuts out the world might keep the marriage happier when called for:bounce:. And certainly useful when you end up camped next to the guy with the contractor model gennie.

Dan

GeorgeRa

Nice design for inside viewing. An outside mount with a screen hanging from the awning could be nice way to share a movie with some guests.
Another option for sharing would be to use rear projection screen like shower curtain or actual rear projection screen. Projector could stay on the rails projecting through the rear doors.

George.

Attachments

GeorgeRa

Removing of the projector with its ceiling mount is practically instant and the mount is a 1/4" thick piece of HDPE, some 1/2" enforcing aluminum angles and a couple of UHMW sliders. So projection could be done outside. This is the LG response to this projector maximum diagonal size:

"QUESTION
Is there a reason you state that the maximum diagonal projection size is 100"?

I am getting a picture size of about 125" and the picture seems fine.
Is it maybe that it doesn't project at the highest possible resolution when the projected image is this large? Just curious.

Thanks.
Category: I own this product
Interested in: How To use
PRODUCTS RELATED TO MY QUESTION

PA77U
5 out of 5
ASKED 4 MONTHS, 1 WEEK AGO User Name: joecfoDeLand, FL, USA ON PA77U
0out of 0found this question helpful.
Answer this question
1 ANSWER
We appreciate your interest in this projector. The 100” screen should be the maximum screen size when the projector is placed at a distance of about 10 feet from the projector screen. If the projector is placed further back from the screen, then naturally the display would be larger. However, the distance of 10 feet is the optimal viewing distance for brightness and clarity of the image. A greater distance from the screen can result in poorer viewing performance.
STAFFEXPERT
ANSWERED 3 MONTHS AGO User Name: NeilE"

http://answers.lg.com/answers/7676/...tronics-pa77u-questions-answers/questions.htm

So for me, 35" screen is not much.

LG has a new 1000 lumens 1080P one but it is rather expensive, I paid $500 for mine.

George.

ranchworld

'06 158 2500 Passenger
George, thank you for all the time and effort you put into this thread. Your van has turned out very nicely.

Nick

GeorgeRa

It was absolutely beautiful weather today so I made some progress with the van. Table is finished, works great. It takes 5-10 sec. to erect or fold it. It is a very strong assembly so a folding tent pole support which I had planned is not necessary. Once erected it can be moved fore and aft as well it can rotate to easy ingress to the seat.

Have I made the microwave cabinet 3” longer I would design much simpler table support with a single L arm a la VW Westfalia, but, I didn’t, it is just a prototype.

In folded or erected positions the top surface can be used an extension of the galley, certainly much stronger in the folded position.

In the folded position the standoffs keep the table very tight, no need for addition latching.

George.

Attachments

GeorgeRa

Some progress on the projector mounting as well. Projector will be attached to the slider sliding fore and aft in 20mm 8020 extrusions. To mount extrusions I needed to insert riv-nuts into ceiling ribs with the factory headliner in place.

Run into an unexpected issue, in the position I selected getting through 2 pieces of headliner at the rib had thin metal bracket imbedded into the headliner holding a clip fastener. Drilling with ½” drill bit was out of question, it would rip headliner apart. I modify ½” hollow hole punch so I could insert it into ½ drill chuck. With sufficient force the hole punch drilled both headliner/metal through giving me an access to pilot holes drilled earlier.

To insert the #10-24 riv-nuts I had to modify insertion tool with a small brass extension, worked great.

As always I protect bare metal with the Zn paint before inserting riv-nuts.

George.

Attachments

GeorgeRa

My sliders on overhead cabinets are absolutely quiet, no rattle at all, but occasionally they slide open, especially during hard breaking. So with Hein’s CNC help I made a very simple latches from ½” HDPE. ½” latches spread ¼” sliders sufficiently to lock them in place. Works great.

George.

Attachments

GeorgeRa

Just finished mounting the projector in the van, 35” TV screen in 144”WB sprinter, an overkill but WE still like it. Wiring is the last step. The current setup is to watch the screen from the rotated front seats with sofa bed setup to sleep. I could rotated the projector 180 degree but it would require another mount for the screen. Both screen and projector can slide fore and aft and be locked in place with 8 sliding blocks.

George.

Attachments

Top Bottom