Layout plan.

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB
I finished testing the water system. With the water pressure regulator set to 30 PSI it takes 5 min to fill 12 gal. fresh water tank under pressure. After the fresh water tank is filled the 0.5 PSI relief valve opens up and water starts running from the overflow at which point I switched off the ¼” fill solenoid valve and the ¾” overflow solenoid valve/relief valve, it works exactly as it was designed, feels good. The Wema level indicator shows tank full.

It took some effort to prime the water pump and it is working fine.

George.

Attachments

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB
My garage became a production line for curtain hooks. I tried some commercially available RV curtain sliders but none of them work in a 80/20 slot. I am making the hooks and my wife is busy sawing curtains with liners. I hope that white liners from suede fabric in combination with heavy outdoor fabric will help to insulate windows.

George.

Attachments

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB
I just picked up freshly cut HDPE parts from Hein. My project is slowly getting to the finish line, the 9X% one. Looking in retrospect into my key decisions which I would follow verbatim if I would build another one would be:

- 80/20 factory cut, tapped, milled to CAD drawings to speed up the project
- HDPE, perhaps more than just one color, no finishing work necessary
- All HDPE parts with complex shape, latch holes, rounded corner or edges get done by Hein on the CNC machine, there is an added bonus to speak to very friendly Hein and his wife, Kim. I probably could cut these parts with my tools but not near to the same level of quality and with very heavy investment of my own time. I would not be able to cut holes for Southco latches like CNC machine can.

George.

Attachments

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB
Some progress on the finish line. Assembly of the toilet housing with the 3” high foam seating area is being assembled. The toilet will be located next to the passenger seat so its surface seating area could be used as just seating or for legs while seating on the reversed passenger chair.

All LED lights are attached and connected. Overhead cabinets lights can be turned on and off individually or as the left and the right banks.

All 43 curtain hooks are installed. Curtains are about 30% completed.

The overhead cabinets front and rear caps routed by Hein are installed.

Transom shower needs a box to be designed and installed.

A while back a couple stopped at my van and we chat about my project, her first question was – where is the closet?, so I can proudly say now – I have the closet for 6 hangers. It is the closet with imaginable walls.

George.

Attachments

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB
Functionally the conversion project is done. Decision for installing or not a Hydronic D5 heater for water and engine coolant will happen later this year. This decision will be combined with the winter camping capability which would include an under the van cover and a hydronic heat exchanging loop.

I will install an outdoor carpet for now and it will be a key project for the next year. The list for final touches is likely going to grow as we begin to use the van more often. Turning / folding table design should be finish this year.

I tested fresh water pressure decay by monitoring water pump voltage for the last 48 hours, no leaks, I am impressed.

Ottoman functionality of the toilet housing is very comfortable, my wife already claimed the right to the seat.

Windows curtains are almost finish, will include pictures later.

Thank you all for help in this great project.

George.

Attachments

Last edited:

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB
I would dub that the 'pot-toman'.
Clever design and fantastic execution as always.
Thank you for good word, you have contributed to this conversion greatly, thank you. Pot-toman, love it, could be a good name for the van.

Cheers,

George.

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB
As promised I am including pictures of our curtains for all windows except the cabin which will happen later this year. All curtains are lined with white fabric adding to insulation. We picked maximum curtains height to direct cold window's air as low as possible. Colorful curtains are adding some life to our grayish van.

Overhead cabinet sliding doors have interweaved fishing line on the top and bottom edge to prevent rattling and increase friction. Drilling and threading the fishing line took about 3 hours for all sliders. Rattling is nulled and there is no sliding of the overhead sliding doors during driving.

George.

Attachments

OrioN

2008 2500 170" EXT
It appears your wife finally had a say in the design! :smirk:

The curtains certainly give the conversion some life! :thumbup:

So... when we meeting at the ocean-side?

Last edited:

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB
It appears your wife finally had a say in the design! :smirk:

The curtains certainly give the conversion some life! :thumbup:

So... when we meeting at the ocean-side?

Perhaps by the end of this year, doing some last seconds stuff before the first longer trip. All working well, it seems you are heading to some gorgeous campgrounds on West Coast of the Vancouver Island. We are heading south.

George.

Frosty_1

George,

Looks great! Who did the seat upholstery work? I need a Portland shop to do a small job for my new van...

f.

GeorgeRa

2013 Sprinter DIY 144WB
We had an excellent camping week on the Oregon coast. Weather was great, no bars on the phone, a total relax. This was the first longer van’s test. We were planning to go to California but stopped and stayed in beautiful Washburne State Park.

On the route I stopped at 2 scales and the loaded van weight was 7,950 lbs. This included 2 people, 20 gal of water (12-fresh, 4-hot, and 4 Thetford flush), StowAway2 on the swing arm, full fuel tank, 1 week of supplies, camping gear. My total conversion was about 1,250 lbs., removed seats were 425 lbs.

The loaded van is 600 lbs. below GVWR of 8,550 lbs. Without water and StowAway2 it would be about 900 lbs. below GVWR.

The camper worked very well. Everything functioned as it was designed and built. There was about 50 degree outside and we had very little condensation and primarily on the windshield, I believe that long double fabric curtains helped considerably.

The floor and about 3” forward relocation of the toilet housing are the key remaining tasks.

George.

Attachments

hein

Van Guru
Looks like a choice spot! There is great satisfaction in enjoying the fruits of your labor!

Top Bottom