Tire Pressure - Michelin LTX MS/2

farmerdoug

I am a new owner of a 2008 Passenger Sprinter with 36,000 miles. This is my first post. The original continental tires did not wear very well at all. I think they ran 70 psi or something. I am not 100% sure since I didn't own it.

I took the Sprinter to the scale with a full tank and no people. 6,200 lbs total weight. Left front 1,750 (I am in the seat) Right front 1,650, left back 1500, right back 1450.

Front Axle is 3,400 lbs and rear axle is 2,950 lbs

I have 50 psi in the front and 60 psi in the back. This chart claims that I should have 35psi on the front and 35 psi on the back: http://www.farmersfamily.com/2012/TirePressureChart.pdf

I am sure my fuel mileage would suffer running on flat tires. I think the fuel mileage I had running at 70 psi was better. Who runs at 70 psi and who runs with low psi? I appreciate all your advise. I want to get good mileage out of the tires. Here is a picture of my van bought off craigslist - private party purchase: http://www.farmersfamily.com/2012/Sprinter2.jpg
http://www.farmersfamily.com/2012/Sprinter1.jpg

Graphite Dave

Dave Orton
My experience with my 08 with 70 psi in all 4 Continental tires was not good. Van was delivered with 70 psi in all tires. It would not track on the freeway and required constant correction to keep it going straight. Lowering the front tires to the recommended 46 psi corrected the problem. When the van was empty I ran the rear tires at 60 psi which improved the ride. Now with a higher load due to the conversion I run 70 psi.

Last edited:

PLUMMER

I have 60psi in the front and 70 psi rear cold. It heats up to 68psi and 80 psi in short order on hot days. over 90*. I have 45,000 miles on my Michelins and have a heavy 1/4" tread depth on rears and a heavy 5/16" of depth on the fronts. Mostly city driving. Rears wear faster regardless of pressure. Common with the torque of a diesel and rear wheel drive. Just make sure you have even tread wear on the fronts, if not then you need a adjustment. I have also ran 80 all the way around with no measurable difference in milage. Ride quality is still a 100 times better than the conti's , its just the way Michelins are. Lower than 55-60 psi seems to have more wear and slightly less MPG from what I have noticed. Love the tires benefits, and my next set will be Michelins too

showkey

For clarification call Michelin customer service give them the vehicle information and weights and they should tell you the correct pressures. A fellow class B Sprinter did and got different pressure than what is shown in your chart. If I remember correctly it was near 50 PSI all the away around.

35 PSI does not sound even close to being correct.

Last edited:

glasseye

I run 40 psi on all four corners with those tires in my 04. Mileage is great. (25 mpg) Tire wear is fine. Handling is perfect. I do run virtually empty. Prolly 500 lbs payload not including me.

When I picked up my used Sprinter (virtually new) it had 65lbs on all four corners and was un-driveable. It darted back and forth across the lanes and was intolerable on expansion joints. 40 psi is WAY better if you're not carrying a heavy cargo load.

Top Bottom