DPF delete by my friend

boyscout

Can you provide any citations to this opinion?
According to Automotive News, Toyota has taken up the topic, and revealed that it did indeed find that during the "materials manufacturing" stage of the Prius' lifecycle, it is worse than average for the class in five emissions categories. Toyota has used the results in its redesigns of the Prius, along with other hybrids such as the Lexus RX 450h and Lexus HS 250h.
And this does not include anything of the batteries needing to be replaced, Remember batteries have a life cycle. How many miles are you boys getting from your prius batteries and how much is the replacement cost today?
And you do realize as your batteries near the end of their life cycle they lose as much as 30% of their energy, and need recharging more often. Oh and be careful not to push the performance of that battery too far, ever see what happens when a lithium battery catches fire?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 50714

According to Automotive News, Toyota has taken up the topic, and revealed that it did indeed find that during the "materials manufacturing" stage of the Prius' lifecycle, it is worse than average for the class in five emissions categories. Toyota has used the results in its redesigns of the Prius, along with other hybrids such as the Lexus RX 450h and Lexus HS 250h.
And this does not include anything of the batteries needing to be replaced, Remember batteries have a life cycle. How many miles are you boys getting from your prius batteries and how much is the replacement cost today?
And you do realize as your batteries near the end of their life cycle they lose as much as 30% of their energy, and need recharging more often. Oh and be careful not to push the performance of that battery too far, ever see what happens when a lithium battery catches fire?
2008, 120,000 miles, ZERO CEL, still going strong. I will replace vehicle before considering any repairs.

Cruise control and front air bag squib kaput. Some displays no longer function. Dispose when no longer rolls. Wife only commutes 4 miles daily which, is hard on a car.

2011 Leaf, always garaged, continues to show 7 outta 12 Capacity bars and excellent for short errands, commutes. Only maintenance performed, replaced chassis battery, not to be confused with traction battery, air tires and replenish windshield fluid. Recently gave vehicle to granddaughter.

Fear mongering, how common are vehicle lithium battery fires?

lindenengineering

What you stating is not stickily true but mining lithium in places like Bolivia (the new Saudi Arabia for the high tech battery world ) does use lot of water forming a pollutant.
In any case I consider the electric car in its current format as being on the road to early obsolesce .
The future is hydrogen and the fuel cell.,
AND who has the jump on it all?
TOYOTA .
Already the Mirai ,
Toyota will knock all of these electric car pretenders out of the ring.

I don't see an end to the ICE either!

Except there will be strict controls on tail pipe pollutants and heavy penalties for those who are tempted to rip emission controls out of future vehicles. The technology there to implement it and a lot of DIY'rs will be prohibited to Yankie forms of tinkering , much like Japan.
If you want to work on it you will need factory certification and authorization to access the modules, even open the hood .
Dennis

D

Deleted member 50714

Nope, hydrogen ain’t going to happen but please share what you know they don’t?

boyscout

I believe the future for the electric vehicle to be a small internal combustion engine used to power a generator to recharge the batteries.
I think it would be really neat to see the energy used from halting used to reaccelerate, whether it be electric or hydraulic.

Peak time energy shortage across the globe is a real problem, cant be tying vehicles to the grid.

D

Deleted member 50714

I believe the future for the electric vehicle to be a small internal combustion engine used to power a generator to recharge the batteries.
Called Prius.

I think it would be really neat to see the energy used from halting used to reaccelerate, whether it be electric or hydraulic.
Prius incorporates regenerative braking.

Peak time energy shortage across the globe is a real problem, cant be tying vehicles to the grid.
Stress on grid maybe mitigated by staggering charging times?
My Leaf is programmed to recharge during non-peak hours. Most trouble-free vehicles I have ever owned.

lindenengineering

A Chevy Volt then!
Have you worked on any yet?
Dennis

D

Deleted member 50714

No need to work on them, they don’t breakdown.

lindenengineering

Oh don't they!!
The first one of the biggest issues is cheap arsed, smart know it all DIY'rs who put the wrong chassis battery in the car!!
The traction battery ends up not being charged falling to 70% SOC condition then it stops.
Would you like more common problem events with it, AND the same old Yankee complaints about GM's lack of warranty coverage.
Another bunch of chuckles to the bank.
Dennis

HighPockets

I bought my rights to delete DPF by buying a Lexus HS250h. It has 157K miles and my Sprinter has only increased 7K since I've owned it but that is fixing to change. :dance:

I think all you T1N owners should junk them because they don't have DPFs to clean the air. The point is I think all I have done is restore my '07 to what it probably would have been if manufactured to 25 years ago had the guv'nt not gotten involved 20 or more years or more. Modern designs are so much more efficient that they were 20-100 years ago, thinking of my 53 Chevy with cast iron pistons and a centrally located single throat carburetor. The exhaust manifold didn't even line up with the head ports.
I am one of those thinking that a clean efficient engine without pollution #*&%^$ gives less emissions than one with a clogged DPF running on LMH a lot and poorly in-between. Well, I know, if properly maintained I would not have the problem but that REQUIRES changing the DPF at 250,000 miles with only a few exceptions. So jail me. There is plenty of room since they have let all the murderers, rapist, child molesters, crooks and other degenerates out. I guess they left the jay walkers and mask violators in.

Gene

Top Bottom